BlackBox Simulation releases Cessna L-19 ‘Bird Dog’

Is this still broken or has the patch fixed it? It’s the kind of plane I like to fly and we hade one as a visitor to our local strip at Boston Aerodrome (that runs along the edge of a local rugby field!), so would be nice to add to the virtual hangar. I was ecstatic to find the aerodrome is present in MSFS 2020 (though the aircraft shown parked there are a bit on the large side).

I would have put a link to the annual fly-in articles online showing the Bird Dog, but unfortunately the site seems to have been taken down - a real shame.

Yes sorry … Asobo update did indeed fix all issues

1 Like

I’d strongly suggest people do a quick bit of research on BlackBox Simulation before giving them your money. They’ve pulled quite the bait and switch on their customers over the past few years in regard to products for FSX and P3D.

1 Like

Well Thanks for the information MrFlint00 :slight_smile:

I can assure ANY readers that they can feel free to research all they want…
BBS Have NEVER Pulled “Bait and switch” whatever that is … and we continue to support All of our products in FSX, P3D and MSFS …

Best Regards …

Graham

2 Likes

You know what the bait and switch is. You sold products as beta versions with the promise of regular updates leading to a finished v. 1.0. We have not seen any movement in literally years, despite promise after promise that work is being done.

This is from your site:
v0.90 Will be landing 2020 - Watch this page for more screenshots and details as they emerge.

This is also from your site – the upload date of the latest version of your Airbus (version 0.87):
21/02/2018 16:30

Your forum is filled with empty promises from you as well as questions and complaints from customers that have gone unanswered. You haven’t even been active there in months, but somehow you have time to not only develop a new aircraft for MSFS, but also post here.

You said:
I can assure ANY readers that they can feel free to research all they want…

2 Likes

One thing I have learned from fsx and X-Plane was, Blackbox (fsx) , virtavia (fsx and X-Plane) and some others are not trust devs. It is unacceptable, developers build some products, put them on sale and then stop updating their products and “close” their support to costumers, then, when a new simulator arrive, there they are again with unfinished products and in a few months after 2 or 3 product updates, all story start over again, for me, there are only 3 or 4 developers which I am happy with them, it’s the case of pmdg, aerosoft, ixeg and flight factor. You will see, with msfs 2020, those developers which we thought that they had quit to create more content and close doors, will show up again.
Money calls babes, money calls…

1 Like

Opinions are like noses…
Everybody has one …
But Usually they have holes in :slight_smile:

Please get your facts correct before making accusations, BBS have NOT Stopped Updating our products and have NOT stopped giving support to our customers.

We have ( and will ) Continue to work on our FSX. P3D 32 bit and P3D 64 bit products on top of bringing new products to MSFS ( The unfinished Simulator ) :slight_smile:

Yep you’re right. People that says truth always get attacked in some point but I don’t care. As long as I can advise people, my opinion stays straight,so…I have sent a few tickets to Blackbox and virtavia a very long time ago to report some situations and guess what, there was no answer. It means 100% costumer support working for costumer? I don’t think so, Blackbox a330 for example, how much time is stuck in version 0.87? Not even p3dv5 support exist. C17 from virtavia is the same, support closed for fsx and X-Plane. To use That C17 on xp11 I had to change a lot of stuff otherwise the airplane was stuck on X-Plane 10. I know what I am talking, a own almost all aircrafts for X-Plane 11 with exception of few
G. A. I am not that noob about simulators, addons and so on. But dude, it’s just my opinion, I am not here to prejudices no one business, they will always have someone giving them money

What a b.s. equivocation. While your OPINION might be that the sim is unfinished, MSFS is no longer in beta. Asobo are clearly working on MSFS; putting out roadmaps, rolling out updates, providing support, and listening to customers.

BlackBox does exactly none of those things.

1 Like

Sir … NOT ONE of our products Is or has ever been released as “BETA”
And BBS Continue to put out Updates, Provide support and Listen to customers …
now please stop calling me a liar

I bought the Cessna L 19 by BBS yesterday (31.01.2021, V 1.6) for 25€ and flew it for about 5 hours. In advance I am no pilot or expert, but nonetheless I want to share my experience and impression of this product. Also I dont own any other of their products and try to be as objective as possible. I dont know where else to review their product, perhaps I will post this on reddit too.

In my opinion the exterior model looks good, nothing to complain about. The amount of liveries is nice, even if it would be nice to have a more simple livery for the Bush-Version.
The interior on the other hand is okayish. The level of detail is nice, for example there is a small medkit and a box to store some maps or anything like that in it. The textures are okay, at some points they look a bit flat and clean, not like some real world material. It would be nice if the interior would look a bit worn down. Also some of the edges could be smoother. The gauges look good and seem to work correct. So much for appearance.
In terms of functionality the L 19 is some kind of streaky.
The first thing I recognised was that its not possible to drag the switches for magnetos or fuel tank selection. Especially the magnetos switch is a moody on, its always difficult to switch it in the correct position. Using the mousewheel to switch positions of them doesnt work either.
Also its not possible to drag the levers for throttle or mixture, but at least you can move them by placing the cursor over them and use the scrollwheel.
Some of the switches dont work but as far as I can tell, that are no relevant switches for the sim/ functionality of the aircraft.
Which leads to the next point, the hitboxes of the levers and some of the switches are a bit of. For example its difficult to move the mixture lever. Also the hitbox to open the window/ door is very generous, it would be enough to open the window/ door by clicking on the handle instead of the whole window/ door.
At last the sound. The sound is ok, I cant tell how a real L 19 sounds. The only thing I can evaluate is the quality. I didnt recognise any annoying loops. But its weird to hear the sound of tarmac if you hit the water with the floats. I dont know if this is an issue on the side of Asobo or BBS, because waterlandings in general feel a bit ehh.

If you purchase the aircraft you also get a manual with all the stuff like operation limits, checklists and so on.

To put it in a nutshell I would buy this aircraft again, 25€ is an acceptable pricetag, if they keep working on the existing issues. As far as I can tell by the reviews on youtube and the changelogs, they are working on it.
If you are willing to accept the existing issues, which dont hold you back from flying the aircraft, you can have fun flying around in this neat little aircraft.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the logic of the carb heater seems to be switched and its in ‘Heating’ position by default.

Edit 2: Spelling

Edit 3: I put this post in a seperate thread, because I felt it doesnt quite fit in here. You can find it here: Some kind of review of the current status of the Cessna L 19 Bird Dog by Black Box Simulations

1 Like

I think he’s referring to the fact that the Airbus and Widebody Xtreme packs were released a number of years ago with promises that the full version 1.0 would be released in due course. V 0.9 was last promised for Q1 2019 but hasn’t been released yet and requests for updates appear to have been ignored since Feb 2020: A330 V0.90 - BLACKBOX SIMULATION SOFTWARE

One user mentions he’s been waiting since he purchased the pack in April 2013 for the final release of the aircraft. I was tempted by the L-19 but it’s unsettling to read how those other projects have turned out. If I’m going to be putting down €24.99 (which is nearly the price of a full PC game, or half a triple-A game) then I’d want confidence that if there are any issues that they’d be quickly dealt with. The initial patches show that they do, but like I say it’s off-putting to see what’s going on with your forum and those P3D products.

There might be good reason for the issues with the other products but its not possible for us as potential buyers to come to a conclusion. Clearly it’s up to you how you respond to criticism (constructive or otherwise) or requests for updates but I’m just explaining why it makes some of us uneasy.

2 Likes

“We have ( and will ) Continue to work on our FSX. P3D 32 bit and P3D 64 bit products on top of bringing new products to MSFS”

Graham, I think the criticism is valid on that point. That project APPEARS to be in limbo with no roadmap or estimates for release provided. I can see why people are uneasy regarding that.

That being said, regardless of the P3D Airbus (in which case FSLabs and Aerosoft are your two companies you should be buying from anyway, BlackBox is clearly outdone on that front), the Bird Dog in MSFS has been diligently updated. I feel comfortable owning THIS product. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes this is exactly what makes me uneasy about putting down money for this aircraft. On the one hand the L19 looks pretty reasonable but on the other the experience with the P3D Airbus appears to be pretty negative from what is seen on the forums (numerous unhappy users and apparently zero updates for around two years or so). A generic statement with zero explanation (i.e. “we’re continuing to work on it”) after so many years doesn’t fill me with confidence in the event something breaks in the L19 as a result of a game patch in the future, so I think I’ll give it a miss for now.

As I say, there might be good reason for the issues with the other products but it’s not possible for us as potential buyers to come to any conclusion.

Hi, just noticed a new version available as of 2/3 (at least that is when I saw it pop up in email).
Mark

Did it give a version number in the email?

Edit: Yep, it’s a new version… 1.7 is out.

1 Like

UPDATE V1.7.0 Released

Fixed - Further tweaks and enhancements to lighting

Fixed - Unloaded Pax and bags from default loadout

Added - Chilean Air Force paint

Fixed - Electrical system and current distribution issues

Fixed - Electrical battery charging fault

Fixed - Carb Heat reversed effect

4 Likes

Man, this thing has come a long way since release. I really feel like it has so much character… it’s up there as some of the best third party aircraft so far (along with Carenado’s stuff, the ATSimulations’ P-149, IndiaFoxtEcho’s stuff, and most recently the SimSkunkWorks warbird)… It’s really fun to fly and looks especially gorgeous at night.

1 Like

You should not worry too much about this plane as its been relentlessly reiterated that this (and the other small aircraft like the Bulldog and Islander) are being developed and supported by him… Graham, and are completely separate from the other aircraft lines at BBS being worked on by completely different departments. He has zero involvement with the Airbus line.

Think of it like buying GE lightbulbs. The same company that makes them also makes jet engines, but those 2 industries have nothing in common…So if there is a huge delay in GE pushing out a new version of an advanced jet engine for example, it will in no way affect your ability to buy lightbulbs from them.
Using that as a guide, your Birddog purchase is safe against any issues plaguing other product lines in the BBS suite of aircraft. (unless there is a tungsten supply shortage that makes the lightbulb filaments and components of jet engine…then that of course would impact both, hehe)

It’s been clearly demonstrated, as recently as today…that the Birddog is constantly being updated and improved…so don’t let the issues of the “jet engine” division of BBS impact your decision to buy GA birds from the company with confidence…just erase them from your mind! BBS GA aircraft have a solid reputation of being updated in MSFS!

They are two completely, uniquely different, totally separate divisions of a large, multi-national conglomerate company …the issues of one division, in no way, impacts the other.

2 Likes