BlackBox Simulation releases Cessna L-19 ‘Bird Dog’

I will attempt to land on water as soon as I can, but I am at work presently. I will report back here.
While it is true that the plane is not at the standard of the native MSFS aircraft, it simply isn’t as bad as some people are saying. I flew it for the better part of an afternoon yesterday, and it really is a pleasant flyer. I do have a certain bias for military liaison aircraft, so I must temper my enthusiasm here. If it cannot land on water, that would be a very bad thing. I will submit a report when I can, certainly today if someone doesn’t beat me to it.

1 Like

I acknowledge the fixes in the patch; these improvements were welcome. Does Black Box have existing plans to continue the development of this model further, i.e. textures, etc?

It landed on water for me.

I think it’s poor. Great selection of liveries and models; that’s exciting. But I’ve found these problems:

• The default camera angle in the cockpit is far too zoomed in. I can only see a tiny portion of the gauge panel. The typical points of view don’t work. Viewing the altitude and speed are really difficult. Please let me know if I’m missing something basic here.
  • Poor textures
  • Landed on water and it said I crashed into the water, after having been on the water for a few minutes!

if the textures cannot be replaced/fixed… atleast a darkening would suffice. Way too bright

The way BlackBox Simulaton dealt with user feedback was very unprofessional. I’m out but for anyone still interested, here’s the review of 1.2:

2 Likes

Here’s my review, I’m pretty happy overall - but I am definitely more in the casual audience. That said, I still think it’s a joy to fly due to its versatility and ease.

3 Likes

Sounds like an incomplete conversion of an old FSX plane… We don’t really need those IMO.

1 Like

Hi, a lot of progress on the plane and lots of feedback on some other threads since the old post here that you replied to. Not pushing any position, but FYI in case you haven’t seen the other threads. I have the plane and it’s pretty much fun to fly, now at update 5 I think (although the 1.10.7 patch broke a few things on it which I am sure will be fixed like others are doing.)
Best regards,
Mark

1 Like

Please investigate and use FACTUAL information if you choose to critique something…
The Cessna L19 Bird dog is a 100% MSFS Project and not an Incomplete FSX conversion
Much work has gone into it irrespective of an incomplete SDK but includes new MSFS202 Modelbehaviours, Modern MSFS Flight model, 4K PBR Textures and over 500K Poly’s
None of which are available in FSX

2 Likes

I didn’t critique anything (just expressed a sentiment); maybe I should write a review though… Anyway, the bird seems (based upon other’s reviews) to have a very similar set of issues to planes that have been converted from FSX, maybe that is because of issues with MSFS and the SDK shortcomings? The work is appreciated, and it sounds like the problems are being addressed. I can’t wait to have a good amphibian to fly, especially one that can transition from land to sea (and vice versa, with water/wake effects, functioning rudder, etc.), with IFR features, and good cockpit views, etc., etc., all the “stuff” we took for granted in FSX. Thank you. I’m going to keep an eye on this one and watch for further upgrades/improvements, and may add it to my hanger at some point. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

With a little disclaimer that the aircraft is currently grounded due to MSFS patch (which will hopefully be addressed in tomorrow’s patch), you really ought to not look down upon this bird without even trying it. What “seems” to you isn’t really congruent with reality - I have seen Graham work hard to improve this aircraft and it really is a ton of fun to fly. If you are looking for an amphibian bird, what are you waiting for? This one is a hell of a lot of fun, coming from someone who has this aircraft and has voiced things that needed improvements (most of which have now been addressed)… I promise you, this is the real deal, it’s fun, and with 3 variants, worth the investment. I hope my post gives you a little more peace of mind. Give this a chance, it will earn your affection as it did mine. It really has a lot of character! It’s an old rust bucket and really feels like it, but it’s the kind of a rust bucket you want to maintain and keep for years in the hope she will be with you for many more years to keep company on your VFR adventures. There aren’t any other planes in this sim quite like this one at this point.

The cockpit now looks good on the videos, nice rework. When is this comming to the marketplace ?

I don’t get why microsoft makes marketplace aproval cycles son long …

Okay. Thank you BostonJeremy77 (and others). I posted a little bit out of turn so to speak and will try not to do that again; has happened one other time recently, so I’ll take a look in the mirror and try to fix that. Just a little frustrated over the lack of floatplanes in FS2020 and the time it’s taking to get some in the Marketplace - still no reason not to appreciate the progress (and hard work that is taking place while I’m whining). Sorry about that. There are plenty of kind and positive things that can be said and are worth the effort. Thanks folks. Maybe I will take a chance on Bird Dog and give it a go. Sounds like many are enjoying it.

2 Likes

Read the reviews. This is a pure scam. Low quality shovelware junk!!

2 Likes

Hi JaapEngel79, do you have the add-on? I ask only because several of the reviews, including some updated ones indicate that it is not a bad airplane. I have it, and and fly it and a lot of the other ones, and I wouldn’t characterize it the way you have. Perhaps your experience with it is different.
Mark

Check the updated reviews. The early issues have been addressed in multiple updates. The interior looks sharper, the switch glitches were fixed (except for a recent sim update problem that should be addressed in tomorrow’s patch), and this plane flies and looks great. Most of the early complaints were addressed. The developer has done numerous updates both fixing problems and adding new features like opening doors.

4 Likes

Appreciate your Valued comments :slight_smile:
Perhaps reading a “Current” Review may appease you ?

1 Like

I like to fly on the bird-dog –but I have a systematic return to the office when I manipulate the buttons of the lamps of the Bird dog at Black Box. And this since the recent update msfs 2020-

I did not find a solution to the problem

there will be NO Solution to this issue until ASOBO Fix their errors … The Cessna L-19 is correctly built and in compliance with the current SDK