Blessed are the ones who dont get CTDs

My CTDs are few and far between and when they do happen, it’s pretty much always traceable to an add-on. But it was not always thus. Things I did to eliminate CTDs:

1. my FS machine is dedicated solely to running flight sims. I don’t have any MS Office or other productivity apps loaded. Of course, this is not a practical option for most but if you can do it, do it.
  2. HAGS off. Hyperthreading and virtualization off in BIOS. Proper XMP profile for DRAM set in BIOS.
  3. No overclocking of anything.
  4. All USB peripherals - mouse, throttles, yokes, flight sticks, pedals, etc. - are run through a powered USB hub so they’re not drawing from the mobo/PS. All are set NOT TO turn off to save power in their respective Device Manager settings.
  5. Upgraded PS to a top of the line 1000W unit (running a i9 10900 CPU, 64G of RAM, RTX 3900 GPU, and Reverb G2)
  6. No bluetooth peripherals. Now this may have been a unique-to-me problem, but when I was using a BT mouse it would lose sync or something if I didn’t touch it/move it for 4 or 5 minutes. Then when it came back to life it would black out the G2 screens for 20 to 30 seconds and cause a CTD about every third or fourth flight.
  7. DX12 is unstable, stick w DX11.
    Hope you solve your CTD problem!
2 Likes

looks good but only thing is after SU9 disable full screen optimizations seems to be null

Edit: oh and 3090 people seem to like HAGS on

Playing video games on a PC is the work of the devil. Learned that over 20 years ago.

Absolutely correct, A clean PC is paramount.

1 Like

Off topic question:

If I understand correctly, you bought a new MB, CPU, upgraded your Ram and just connected your SSD’s
to this new build? If so, didn’t Windows “complain” when you booted the system? This seems to be very exceptional.
I’m planning to upgrade my CPU and MB also but I have a lot of installed applications which I don’t want to install again (this would take weeks). I installed these programs on different partitions but of course the registration is done on my C-Drive. (Apologies for the bad English).
Thanks in advance for your reply.

No. Windows did not complain. Yes OS migration is a feasible thing.

If the architectures are similar, it simply reconfigures itself to a new system, downloads new drivers. It’s also a good idea to have the manufacturer MB chipset drivers on hand, as windows uses generic drivers for a few devices.

Also a good idea in device manager after migration: Show hidden devices. Anything that is greyed out, uninstall the devices and drivers via device manager, as there will be leftover drivers from previous MB.

OS migration is/has been possible for a long time. And many different approaches on how it is done. I’ve done it as early as windows 98 believe it or not. There are some conditions that must be met- similar architectures and how far apart in generation two systems will be hardware-wise. But for the forum’s sake I won’t expand, as it is beyond the scope of this forum topic.

There are also many tutorials on youtube if one is inclined to search.

Thanks for your reply and your explanation. When time comes I’ll make sure the necessary new drivers are available prior to the installation. The tutorials you mentioned are often contradictory, that’s why I’m glad you confirmed that migrating is possible.

No problem.
Just make sure you back up, and make images of your OS drive beforehand. Worst case scenario, If something DOES go wrong, you can revert to your older system, while you figure things out.

1 Like

Wow I’m not doing all that stuff you do. I get a memory crash once a week for Memory could not be read CTD. I use Volanta to reload my flight. To me I shouldn’t have to that. This sim should be way more stable. I am on another thread with 500 posts where they get memory could not be read CTD every flight. So I feel fortunate I guess.

1 Like

Have you ever tested your RAM?

1 Like

Ram is brand new and the people on the 500 posts state also it is not the RAM it is with WU9.

Ram being brand new means nothing. I’ve had new ram fail in less than a week. You lose nothing by testing.

Go to this posts. MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

Take everything people say with a grain of salt-Including me- All it takes is common sense. Test and rule out your hardware first. THEN start moving to drivers and software. THEN start moving to the application which is giving you issues- in this case MSFS.

1 Like

And for every 500 posts of issues there are 10’s of thousands of MSFS simmers who have none. But you don’t hear about them, as they have nothing to complain about.

It has become this trend where people are reporting issues with the sim, which reinforces the belief that it’s by default the sims fault. The logical step is when you find someone (me) who has ZERO issues, simply duplicate what THEY are doing to see if it solves your issue.

If not, the problem lies elsewhere. It could be a conflicting driver for a software or hardware device. It could be malware, it could be a bad mb, or ram, or GPU. The list goes on.

Here’s what I have gathered since the sims release up to now, visiting this forum almost daily:

Most people reporting issues of all shapes and sizes, have MSFS installed to the default location on their C drive.

Here is a hint: This was ALSO an issue back in the FSX days. My advice for whatever it’s worth: INSTALL MSFS ON A SEPARATE DRIVE.
If that does not work, the issue is elsewhere- likely nothing to do with the sim. Could be an add on for example.

I guess that most people here are just trying to help out and that the suggestions are well meant.

But yes … Asobo/ Microsoft are the only ones who can really do anything meaningful. If it’s anything to do with ‘stressed out’ servers then I guess that the sim will maybe just magically improve one day without us knowing why.

I do think, however, that Asobo have at least a good idea of what the causes of the issues are.

Will SU 10 provide relief for some unfortunate simmers ? If I’m being honest, I don’t really know. I just hope that it doesn’t introduce a whole lot of other bugs and issues.

2 Likes

Separate drive makes sense. Like I said so far I only get the error once a week. If it gets worse I’m putting MSFS on different drive.

One more thing, I forgot to put in my first post of this thread.
Enable long file name support for windows 10/11.

1 Like

Ok will do that too. Someone just mentioned in another forum turn off Game mode in Windows and reboot then start the sim.

I’ve had two CTDs since I started with the sim, both during betas.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600
16 GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
RX-580 8GB
NVMe SSD
Windows 11

I use the Sim at high preset, with motion blur off (I hate it in any game), at 1080P.

I don’t do anything special, just update the game when it gets updates, and Windows updates itself as and when the updates come. I keep my GPU drivers up to date unless there is a known issue published by AMD that affects me in some way.

Granted, I don’t have the hundreds of add ons that some people seem to use, and I don’t really use scenery add ons. But I do use add ons via add on linker and really only enable the ones I intend to use. So if I’m in the mood to fly the FBW 320 I turn it on and leave the other aircraft mods off.