Blurry lights on ultra-wide/4k resolutions

Pretty amazing this has not been fixed yet. Would believe most players dont play at 1920×1080 anymore.
On (all?) other resolutions lights afar are extremely blurry. Lights far away are also same size and luminosity as close ones. It all looks rather awful and unrealistic. Playing at 5120×1440 and I have to avoid nights, which is pretty ridiculous.
Night lighting=backlog…what do you mean by that?
Give us some info!

1 Like

This issue is also plaguing VR with high resolution headsets like Reverb G2.

What we talk about is a bug. Look at OP.
In screenshot 1 and 2 lights are sharp. Thats the lowest res of 1920*1080. In pic 3 and 4 lights are blurred and washed out - higher res. No reason it should be that way when you have a lot more pixels to play with at higher res. It should be sharper at higher res.
Also ridiculous to see taxi lights, red (warning) lights etc being same size whether they are 20m away or 2km away. Definately something weird going on…

1 Like

There are a lot of problems with lighting if you look at in detail.

These blurry lights are a problem.
Rural road lights of sky beamer dimension and brightness are a problem.
All road lights directed to the sky instead of surface are a problem (somebody heard of light pollution at Asobo?). Mask them!
Ballon sized floating lights on airports in VR are a problem
-10 mag daylight visible small moon sized stars in VR are a problem.

My solution: Dont look at this in detail.

hmm unfortunately wrong - it has worked before in the versions we are not allowed to talk about here !

5 Likes

I suspect there is a lot of sacrifice going on right now to push the Sim into the console. The console comes with something on the Ryzen5 / 3600 - RX6700 level and should deliver 4k / 30Hz. Good luck for this challenge! At least we can hope that DLSS / equivalent will finally be achieved to accomplish these goals.

Got the same problem on my res, 2560x1080. Blurry and wierd lights. They almost seems to be non polished at the moment. At a distance i get it, but i got the same problem at ground lvl. @SkintErmine4112 i`m pretty sure it was better on previous versions :stuck_out_tongue: Placebo? :slight_smile:
Btw, my monitor sucks big time!

I observed this issue immediately after the release, no idea how it was before.
This “blurry lights on high resolution screens especially ultrawides” is separate from the other night lighting issues which were resolution independent

Just sent in to Zendesk. Really baffled this has not got any more attention. Or do most players still have a 1920*1080 monitor, or just play in daylight, because as now lights look really awfull at higher resolutions.

1 Like

I’m increasingly noticing this in VR at night, it just creates the illusion in the G2 that everything is low resolution especially when viewing near airports. In VR at least looking at lights close up they are fuzzy and that’s ok but lights in the distance carry the same level of funnzyness and just looks bad.

I hope this gets some improvement soon.

3 Likes

Still an issue on 1.13.16.0

direct compare:

3 Likes

Yeah, still same blurry washed out lights.
Tried with HDR on/off, 60/120/240Hz - still same, although lights got a different tint at 60Hz (might be my settings).
Can we get an update on this? Is Asobo aware of it? Or do they all play at 1080p? Its been reported to Zen…

1 Like

But this isn’t just an issue at night. Look at any runway or taxiway lights during daylight and you’ll see the same issue.

Just a heads up that this has been escalated to the devs!

9 Likes

Thank you, this issue is here since the release, effectively limiting night flying to 1920x1080 resolution.

2 Likes

Yohooo. Good news! Seems like lights get stretched more and more the higher resolution you choose. Hopefully not too hard to fix😯

thank you for the heads up Jayne!

this is a great news I’m certain the others whom I’ve shared our findings about night lighting issues mega thread will be thrilled to now!

By the way this got me thinking: in VR night lighting, with light bulbs in the distance in particular, is really looking like a soup of light bulbs. VR might be affected by the same bug if FS2020 rendering engine is using (left view width + right view width) / view height → (2 x width) / height

This would be the case if it is rendering both views side-by-side in the render buffer for example but the pixel shaders would be using the total render width instead of the per-view width.

1 Like

I love flying at night but I’m not flying at night in fs 2020. To be honest, night lighting is “beyond terrible”. it’s complete disappointment.

You might want to read and support this then:
Night lighting issues still present - The community solutions

2 Likes

Thanks. Voted!

3 Likes