Blurry textures in distance

Kinda started regretting that I posted on here after reading your and @CkTheWinner’s posts. I don’t mean to be blunt, nor do I mean this in a bad way, but the visual down-scaling speculation, the little stories you guys tell about the ways you manage your disappointments regarding this down-scaling, they REALLY made me sad. Heck, “DO NOT ZOOM” almost did me in.

I really do hope Asobo aren’t pulling A Ubisoft and aren’t down-scaling just because of the Xbox version of the sim. But that’s speculation. If anyone can help me increase the quality of distant textures and objects through actions I can perform myself, that’d be great.

Can hardly get any better, I believe. I should try increasing some Bing related settings. I had not tried editing these before I started nagging on here.

1 Like

That’s my fear. For me, it’s gotten worse over time. In VR, airport textures look blurry until you are basically in the traffic pattern 1 mile out. It just looks so ugly that it’s distracting from the flying experience. I don’t remember it being THIS bad before making me believe that Microsoft/Asobo nerfed the quality of streamed textures in order to cram this thing on Xbox. This needs to be addressed.

It really makes one consider transitioning back to a previous sim. In Prepar3D, even with my old machine, I was at least able to distinguish a runway over a blurry black texture. Now, after already trying to zoom in and look for a runway, I’m having to do a Quasimodo with the TrackIR on my head to try to get the sim to zoom in even further. The ATC is telling me 5 miles at 12 o’clock, but I won’t ever be able to reply with a “runway in sight”.

Have a look at these screenshot comparisons from now compared to the sim at launch. They should cut through the hyperbole of visual downgrading and xbox conspiracy theories.

I can completely understand that why you are not satisfied with the look of the texture in distance, I am not happy either. It’s just and it’s my own idea, they are doing this because this is one of the ways of optimizing the perfomance. I myself would really want a better view, especially when I am doing a flight with a A320/B747 or B787 but due to the blurriness, I really can’t enjoy high-altitude flight.

Unless the developers change, I don’t think there is a way of making the view look better :frowning:

4 Likes

It’s ironic that at launch, players were complaining that you could clearly and easily see runways unrealistically far away. You could see runways everywhere from their lights, and if you zoomed in to airports that could have been 20NM out, you’d be able to make out the runways.

Now if it’s more than 5-10NM out, all you see is a blurry ground texture until you get within that magic radius where high res textures and runways are loaded in.

3 Likes