Bobbing (Tilting) head up and down in cockpit view (plane's dashboard goes up and down)

Same here. I begin to dislike my G2 more and more. This awful sweet spot … and this bad tracking. But what i dislike the most, is that the environment (earth) is getting a blurry mess, when the plane is in motion. Looks like motion blur is activated for VR without option to turn it off.

Just to answer your unrelated issues that you mentioned.

For the sweet spot, make sure you loosen your top head strap a lot so that the back of the headstrap cusp’s the back of your head almost to where your neck starts ( of course not everyone is made identically so this advice will vary slightly).

For the perceived softeness, its possible there could be some motion blur, but what I suspect is either low framerate and TAA. Since TAA is averaging between frames it has a tendency to blur when in motion. The issue is that whitout TAA Its a jaggedy mess.

As for the tracking issue concerned by this post. I’ve yet to find it in any other game or app besides MSFS that has it. I’ve tried multiple openXr settings but doesn’t have any effect on the problem ( with projection set to disabled of course).

It’s definitely a MSFS / OXR / G2 issue - tracking is butter-smooth in Aerofly FS2 at 100% resolution.

Small sweet spot is likely due to the facial interface being too deep for your face… take it off and get your eyes close to the lenses, does that improve things?

If so, you might want to look into the various “FoV mod” options out there. Hopefully someone will release a proper lower profile interface soon because it seems to affect a lot of people.

Bad headset tracking isn’t inherent to the G2, my headset tracking is absolutely flawless. If you are having tracking issues you need to look into your lighting and/or environment if you have for example a lot of bare walls.

The blurryness in motion comes from the low frame rate that msfs runs at and/or reprojection, not a G2 issue. Play something that runs at 90hz and you will see the difference… the only way a different headset will be better in that regard is by being less demanding to run by being inherently lower resolution.

Missed this, it doesn’t matter that you didn’t buy it on steam.

If you want to try the steamVR OXR runtime just go into steamVR settings, go down to the developer section at the bottom left and then set steam’s OpenXR runtime as default. When you ctrl-tab into VR it’ll now use steamVR instead.

I dealed a lot with that issue and posted my tips allready.

In short:

make uniform lighting
cover all blinking led’s like your disk access led on the pc, keyboard lights, lights on your yoke or joystick, rgb blingbling etc in the view of the G2. Try to avoid anything that could confuse the G2’s inside out tracking.
cover your monitor in front of you (with the mirrored screens on it, helps me a lot as usually at least two cams in the G2 look in this direction).
Give the G2 some static lights like from an white led chain around your seat, I call them anchor lights.

G2’s tracking is somewhere between ugly and worse and she is extremly sensitive to uneven lighting. Refresh rate of the cams is maybe to low for quick head movements. I suspect they have testet the G2 in a clean cubic softwhite painted room with a sophisticated grid on the walls. Maybe that worked. But in the real world…

Also try to hold around 30fps inside your cockpit.

Keeping this in mind I have a lot of fun with the g2 in the sim and dont want to miss her.

Try to set room boundary to ‘Set me up for seated and standing’

@TexasHinge: Does FS2 also mirror the rendered VR screens on the monitor? I noticed that this is an major reason for that weird position jumps of the cockpit camera.

When I simply covered the cams on the G2 with my hands -> rock steady picture but the loss of beeing able to lean forward.

Yes it does.

If I cover the front cameras -or- both side cameras, I can still lean forward or backward and the VR view is correct. If I cover all 4 cameras, leaning doesn’t work anymore (this is normal).

Hopefully the Nvidia driver stutter issue that should be fixed soon is the root cause.

@PolackofDoom

I’ve had the same thing happen to me in VD when the Quest 2 guardian is disabled. That or is is too dark and your headset has lost tracking.

Does anyone else agree that movement in the cockpit feels a bit ‘squishy’? Is that the thing we are talking about?

I also agree that maybe there is a center of rotation issue, but I’m not quite sure how much these things overlap. I use XP11 for VR as well and I don’t have that motion anomaly. Im using a Reverb G1.

Center of rotation is one thing, and yes - I notice that the cockpit doesn’t “behave” as it would if you were tilting your head in real life.
But I noticed something even more odd just yesterday when I was getting A32nx set up for a flight in a blasting morning sunshine filling the cabin. When I shook my head - either sideways or up and down - the shadows the cabin pillars were dropping off on the panels would sway, as if my head shaking was somehow rocking the aircraft. And when I got curious and did that intensely, the swaying would even continue for a second or so after I’d stop, as if by inertia. I mean, one would need a big lead head to get an aircraft to sway like that. :rofl:
What gives?

1 Like

It’s definitely not a tracking problem… Is there a post where we can vote to bring this issue to focus? And maybe better articulated than squishy :sweat_smile:

I tested a couple of bits over the weekend. My feeling now is that this is not caused by any particular API (I thought it might have been WMR OpenXR vs Steam OXR but tested both and it was the same)

Maybe it is simply because we are all running the sim at 30ish or even 45ish FPS and to get a smooth experience we need to be at 90.

Like people have started to comment here, it’s like there is a delay between head movement and image movement. It’s all the more obvious when you move your head quickly, so I wonder if it’s simply caused by the graphics not being able to keep up?

What I haven’t tried yet is the room setup as I simply don’t have room in the office where my PC is. I’ll see if I can find a way to facilitate that at some point and try again.

In VR on XP11, I don’t experience this effect at 45 FPS

Opened topic in bugs and issues if y’all are interested in voting thanks.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/feels-like-plane-translates-up-and-down-when-tilting-head-up-or-down-in-cockpit-view-with-hp-reverbe-g2/357349/2

1 Like

I have same problem in msfs not in other games is there a solution ?

Not that I know of for the moment.

i there not a solution in the camara cfg file

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.