Boeing 747 AP unusable since Update 8

#xbox

I can’t believe how the Boeing 747 AP is completely unusable since Sim Update 8 release. :frowning:

It makes me very angry and it’s very frustrating that update bring a lot of new issues.

First; the main barometer/altimeter is now not responding when I try to synchronise it. It stay on 29,92 every time.

The VNAV is still not working.
But above all, now, LNAV is blocked at the end of the flight, and the FMC seems to loose all the data to keep only the last waypoint.

The auto throttle and automatic speed seems to be broken too…

The AP is now completely useless and the 747 unusable !!

Not for me, i have been using it since the first day of the beta and never had any issue youre saying. Just a little thing i noticed is that when you engage FLC or V/S mode the SPD mode doesnt activate by it self, you need to press the SPD button in the MCP. 2nd VNAV is not implemented in any stock aircraft, thats the reason why is not working. 3rd when you press to sync your baro pressure now it switch to STD, a way to know your altimeter is by looking for it in the METAR. Cheers

3 Likes

No problems here

VNAV PTH mode has never been implemented in the FMC yet. VNAV SPD does function normally though, you just dial in the desired altitude and push in the altitude knob to update the cruise altitude in the FMC, it will then climb/descend at the scheduled speed in the FMC.

I entered the SU8 Beta and reported the bug.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/747-ap-is-broken-and-nobody-talks-about-it/500210?u=slingingjewel45

They asked me to give more detailed step to reproduce the issue… What a joke…
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/747-ap-is-broken-and-nobody-talks-about-it/500210/14?u=slingingjewel45

Yes for me too on Xbox series S. It’s so frustrating! I like to do a manual startup but now I can’t since SU8! The only way I can start the engines is by quick start ie RB + RIGHT BUTTON ON DPAD. I even tried to do it in the same sequence as quick start but no joy, the only way to start uonus by quick start for me. And yes I thought the auto throttle was broken until I figured out that you now have to click on the A/T button to get it to work. I was so mad and said to myself they have ruined it! Plus I have also noticed that the barometer won’t sync when pressed although the backup altimeter will sync for me. Having said that the main barometer did sync earlier on, on a rare occasion, that was like once out of the many times I’ve used the 748 since the update. I really hope they address this matter. I also have the 777 and the APU don’t work in that anymore either. The barometer still syncs when pressed though. Same thing as the 748 with auto throttle in AP, you now have to click on A/T for it to work. Really threw me off as I wasn’t used to doing that before so didn’t think about it until I tried it and figured it out lols.

I just tested this on my Series X and I am not having this problem.

Do you have the Bredock liveries installed perhaps? I do not.

Make sure there’s some non zero fuel in EVERY tank to get the APU going.

Good point the flights I did I left the main tanks dry. I will try it a small amount of fuel in all tanks. Thanks for your feedback

Hi pal thanks for your reply. Sometimes I wish I got the series X instead haha, Yes I did purchase the livery’s and noticed the problem when I went to start up the aircraft and figured it may be the livery install causing the problem, so I uninstalled it but the problem persists! Another person said about making sure all tanks have fuel in which this was never an issue before but I’m going to try that and see what happens.

That is seriously strange that the issue persists.

I wish the Xbox version of the sim would allow us to uninstall individual “base sim” content like the PC does, so we could reinstall them individually. That way you could just uninstall the 747 and reinstall it.

I’m wondering if something weird has happened with yours when it got updated.

By the way, did you do a full quit of the sim after uninstalling the Bredock livery package? You know: Xbox Home—>highlight FS20—>press Menu—>select Quit and then relaunch the sim. If not, you might want to try that.

Thanks for the heads up. Just to say when I landed I quickly added fuel in all tanks via the pop up menu in the session and tried the APU this morning and it did come on and function in the 777 I’m yet to try it on the 747 when I get home from work but yes it’s a shame we can’t uninstall stock content and reinstall it. Thanks for your reply though pal :grin:

2 Likes

I’ll add you on Xbox when I get home I’m gonna get a head set soon so I’ll be able to chat

In fact, several things that I didn’t understand right away seem to have changed.
And it’s very frustrating because I’ve done the same flight dozens of times before without any problems.
And since sim update 8, it no longer works.

First of all, it is no longer possible to activate the “speed” button set to the selected speed before taking off.
This only accepts activation if LNAV mode is engaged.

For the altimeter baro , before, on Xbox, it was enough to do a right click to configure it according to the indications given by the ATC Now I have to set it manually.

Regarding the FMC, it does not seem to activate the approach flight plan automatically (as it was the case before).
And so it goes from the last cruise waypoint directly to the runway waypoint.
(I guess I have to activate the approach in the FMC).

And one last detail, the recommended configuration for the flaps does not always seem to appear anymore on the main screen.

Finally. A lots of little frustrations when you learned to fly a certain way.
But I guess I’ll find my way.

(And of course, I knew that VNAV mode was not yet implemented, but I had hoped that it could be the case with this last update)

I will wait for the 737 from PMDG :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes it is annoying I had just learnt how to do everything from starting up the 747 to flying it and landing with no problems. I will add though that I added fuel in all tanks and the APU seems to work fine and I can do manual startup… Yay!! But yes I have noticed that the SPD button needs to be pressed now to use auto throttle in AP. And yes I noticed that APPROACH don’t work like it use to. This morning I landed at Henri Conda in the 777 and the Approach didn’t work at all I had to land manually. I’m gonna try it in the 747 and see if the same thing happens. I guess I will work it out if it don’t work as there will be some reason, maybe a change has been made since the update which needs to be figured out? But here goes, I’m gonna try it, I will get back to you with the result after I land. I’m only doing a short flight from EGLL > LIRF.

About the approach phase, I am not sure, but I think that it is now necessary to activate an approach mode in the FMC whereas before the update, this was done automatically.

But I have not yet had time to look for where this approach activation function is located in the FMC.

Yesterday I decided to try the Airbus A320 for the first time. (easier to master than the 747, although the autopilot works a bit differently).

And on three different flights, I had twice this same approach problem which does not seem to be automatically activated by the FMC.

And on one of the three flights, it went smoothly, with the approach being followed correctly.

I’m probably missing something in the FMC procedures.

One last thing, I noticed more app crashes than before and sometimes when touching the runway, all aircraft’ screens turn off, and the app crashes.

I also noticed more bugs in the integrated flight planner (the application that no longer wants to select a departure or an arrival).

À lot of small frustrations which do not take away the pleasure of flying on such a game, nor of having consideration for all the gigantic work done by the developers.

(thanks to them by the way)

1 Like

It’s really wierd as I was experiencing alot of app crashes and the screens going off either just before touchdown or midflight. Since the update though this hasn’t happend so far, touch wood Lols. I’m also happy to report that I flew from EGLL > LIRF in the 747, APU worked fine, did a manual start up and all 4 engines started up fine, had a nice flight at FL370, got to LIRF and at my final decision height of 2500ft activated the app button and the glide slope captured me and guided me in!
Flight time was 2hrs 1 minute. The ILS needs a bit of work though as there was only a 2 knot headwind and I was off course a little so had to interviene just a little bit to try and land on the centre line but it still worked nonetheless, So I’m happy. Was a nice flight and it’s so rewarding when one manages to have a good flight and a good end result :grin: as for the airbus I will have to have a look at that as there is no APP procedure in the FMC on the 747 that I could see. I just got to my decision height pressed the app button and the AP did the rest and acquired GS, like I said, I just had to tweek it a little bit but not a massive amount just to stay on course.

And yes I will add that MSFS 2020 is a brilliant SIM and such an achievement, I remember the early flight Sims in the late 90s and if someone had told me back then that what msfs 2020 will be like I probably would of laughed and said no way :joy: but how tech and times change ay?? so yes thank you Microsoft, Asobo and all the other 3rd party developers that make MSFS 2020 possible and such a joy to play!! Keep up the good work and let’s hope things advance a little more in the future, which I’m sure they will! :muscle::+1::grin:

1 Like

I’ve just thought about the approach problem I wonder if it’s the airport your landing at and not actually the aircraft itself. As for the screen blackout, this might be a bit of a long shot, for me, if I departed or a arrived at an star airport, that was when I seemed to have the most problems with the screens going off either mid flight or just before touchdown, in worst cases a full system crash and having to reload the game again! Just wondered if anyone else had noticed or picked up on this matter. Like I said it may be a long shot but that’s the only conclusion I could come to other than something beyond my control obviously which may be a bug somewhere. Who knows Lols, but just a putting it out there.

This is the problem,you had a successful flight as I kind of did last night ,I had a few autopliot problems and speedbrake problems which caused hassle but was also otherwise just about acceptable.Today in contrast was a total disaster ,similar flightplan etc but autopilot lost interest in Altitude settings,Autothrottle,speed protection, Loc/App, and I missed the ground by 200ft miles from the field in zero visibilty and miraculously just about landed on the rwy.

Its bugs are not consistent but still truly screwed up since SU8,I realise this is a default aircraft and has limitations but I am very extremely eager to get PMDG 747 back again if possible.

1 Like

I’m going to chime in on this, as well.

I’d done quite a bit of testing with the 747 AP just prior to the SU8 Beta, so I had observed it’s behavior very acutely.

Today, I took off KSFO to CYUL and I’m immediately having issues with it.

It blew right past the initial assigned altitude of 13000’ as dialed into the system. Pushing in on the dial would do nothing to get it to respond or alter its climb. I had to toggle on Hold, make a change to the altitude, press the dial, press VS, and set a descent rate to get it to behave.

It has ignored any of the VNAV speed information in the FMC. It wants to cruise the entire route at 250 IAS. At cruise altitude, I dialed in Mach .840 and pushed in on the knob to override the slow cruising speed, it ignored, that.

It climbed past my dialed in FL410 and was at FL412 and wouldn’t respond to a change on the dial to get it back down to FL410, which was clearly indicated by the bug on the tape and in the dial.

I’ve never seen it be this weird. I’m basically having to completely take over from anything programmed into the FMC from the outset and fly it semi-manually via the AP controls.

This is not the experience I’ve had with it before.

My issues with it prior to SU8 were it would behave as expected or when engaged after takeoff, would make a nose dive toward the ground. That was its only real consistent inconsistency for my week of testing.

This is a completely new set of bad behaviors, for me.

1 Like