Brand new to VR, any tips?

I just purchased an Oculus Quest 2 and it will be arriving today. Brand new to VR but I wanted to experience the sim in VR, plus I really want a fishing game in VR too, so I went ahead and purchased one.

Any tips, hints or future frustration I should be ready for? Thank you, kindly

1 Like

As a general tip (I don’t have that model so can’t be specific for config)

Take it easy. Introduce yourself to VR slowly and if you start to feel motion sick at all stop your VR session and take a break.

Doing a few shorter sessions with breaks rather than long sessions trying to “push through” motion sickness will help dial in your “VR legs” quicker.

If the fishing game has good frame rates then this might also be a good way to get into it.
(Stutters, poor frame rate etc all make it harder to get those VR legs)

I can recommend IL-2 (Great Battles) series for VR.
The performance is excellent, butter smooth and really made the transition into VR a lot easier.
Also, VR really shines in single seat air, close range air combat. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You won’t look back! The wow factor, for me, was amazing - but now it is hard to fly “just” in 2D anymore

2 Likes

as per @somethingbrite take it easy at first, enjoy the experience.

My only other piece of advice would be to temper your expectations, you may have to reduce graphics settings for it to work smoothly, but the immersion will be worth it.

I don’t have a Quest 2 (G2 user myself) so cant offer any configurations setup tips, also try a few experiences, there are some great little titles that are really good, so take some time when your out of VR to look for the next thing you want to try :slight_smile:

What I would say is be prepared for quite a learning curve when it comes to the various components which make up using PC VR. The Quest/2 as a standalone unit will be fairly simple to operate/run games, etc. but once you start to link that to your PC, things will get complicated. SteamVR, Oculus Home, Air Link, Virtual Desktop, etc. are all terms you will see and need to read up on.
You will also need a good spec PC to run MSFS. Games specifically designed for VR will run smoothly and give you a great experience. Games (like MSFS) which have had VR ‘added in’ will require tweaking of (at least some of) the various components I mentioned above.

That’s the warning.

There’s another more positive warning however - if you haven’t flown sims in VR before, prepare yourself as it’s AWESOME! In my opinion (others disagree) you will never go back to 2D simming. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most important tip I can give you is when you attempt to get up and move to the back of the plane and stumble, you can’t actually catch yourself on the back of the virtual seat! :wink: I know this from experience.

4 Likes

I’ll give you a nickel’s worth of free advice. When you get settings that work for you, record them in a spreadsheet somewhere and date it. For me (Oculus Rift S) that was the Oculus settings, my NVidia settings, and the Oculus Tool settings. As you make changes, record them. ALWAYS keep a “last known good configuration” tab because you WILL read about someone else’s settings and you WILL want to try them, and
 you WILL find out they don’t work for you.

But if you have that last known good configuration to fall back on, you can experiment to your heart’s content.

What’s a VR pilot’s last words? “Oooh, I’m gonna try those settings.”

6 Likes

Yes, it’s hard to describe until you’ve seen it. The sensation of looking out and down is what does it for me - it’s like you are really there.

As others have said, you need a good pc and temper your enthusiasm for ultra graphics, but despite all that, the experience is breathtaking.

Also be prepared for a fair bit of fiddling with settings until you get something that works for you. That might take a while, especially getting the cockpit view sharp enough to be able to comfortably read the small text on screens etc. There are a lot of things to play with in terms of settings, so don’t expect to get it right first time and don’t be disheartened if it takes a little while.

1 Like

So true and great advice!

1 Like

I trashed my G1 at the weekend, now have no desire to fly at all. VR does have its shortcomings but it’s hard to beat that feeling of being there in the cockpit.

Whyyyy ??!?? :frowning:

Was having a real ■■■■ time with just about everything
. Issues with sim, pc, other stuff and then the headset on top of that. Ended up ripping off a headphone then just trashed it. Stupid I know, but just so peeved with everything
 I used to sim and game on PC to chill out from work and life
. But now it’s just another form of frustration- right now I’m close to ditching the PC and all my hardware too, but just avoiding it for now hoping I’ll suddenly feel like picking it up again. :rage:

Keep up! Wait and see what kind of new HMDs will be introduced soon, avoid HP and start over!

1 Like

Unless something as good as resolution wise as the Reverb comes along I would probably go the G2 route, but right now just not feeling the time is right. Your reply and suggestion is much appreciated though. :+1:

Here’s one for what it’s worth. Plan your controls.

In VR you (obviously) can’t see the keyboard, and no matter how good of a touch typist you are, anticipate that you will NOT be able to use the keyboard AT ALL in VR flight.

Depending what peripherals you use, think how to set them up and make sure that you program the basic flight controls to those. Most everything else can be done ‘in the cockpit’ with the mouse 
 with a bit of practice. Since SU5, the VR mouse seems to be pretty laggy at times - you just have to be patient.

I’ve been mostly flying the DC6 in VR since it’s launch. It’s a pretty complex cockpit - if I can do it, anyone can do it :sweat_smile: I have peripherals for throttle and prop, primary flight controls (including rudder and wheel brakes) and elevator trim. That’s it.

1 Like

I don’t know your experience with PCs but I would generally say don’t go too crazy messing with different settings and configs to start with :slight_smile: When VR was first released for the sim it was really required to mess with Oculus Debug Tool, Oculus Tray Tool, Nvidia Advanced settings (maybe) to get reasonable performance, but it is much less the case now. I think some users have problems now due to having set weird settings due to tips from the very early days (encode rate, prerendered frames, etc
) when the default works fine as a baseline now.

The default software for Quest 2 will hopefully give you a decent experience out of the box (caveat, so long as you have a decent PC
) You will need to experiment with the headset resolution in the oculus link software, and of course the render scale and graphics settings in MSFS, to find the sweet spot for your PC and your preference re frame rate vs resolution. You may want to use Oculus Debug Tool to turn on the new Sharpening mode, but that’s probably all to start with. You can adjust the “motion reprojection” whilst in the VR cockpit using keyboard control and numpad 1,2,or 3. I use Control+1 which is reprojection off.

Despite my complaints about SU5 I echo what others have said that VR in this sim can be truly amazing so stick with it :slight_smile: Good luck !

1 Like

Don’t let my post put you off, VR and flight sims really do go together particularly if you get into flying helicopters. The feeling and immersion of being inside a cockpit within the environment cannot really be captured in any other way.

My best advice would be to set your expectations at a realistic level, e.g. don’t expect the visual quality or sim performance to be quite up there with what you could expect on a decent monitor. VR and the hardware to run it are both at quite an early stage in development, in the years to come VR headset are bound to improve and become much better.

@anon50133889 Quest 2 is fantastic, best bang per buck hmd, i own one too (and a G2 and 8kx). What fishing game have you bought? I have real vr fishing, its pretty good. As long as your pc is up to it, you’re gonna love msfs in vr :slightly_smiling_face: 2d will never be the same.

For those of you flying in VR, what are you specs, how well it runs?

I have Vive Cosmos, running on RTX2070 with Ryzen 3700X and I’m only using VR for Google Earth and some simple games, Half-Life Alyx was the maximum what this computer can run in VR, even there were performance problems. As my FPS in MSFS without VR are around 35-50, I didn’t even bother to try VR here :smiley:

Quest 2 anniversary sale is going on now. It’s good time for good deal with many best sellers including RFVR, Gun Club, Wander, Vader immortals, etc.