Bristol Appreciation Society

Thought I’d start a thread for fellow Bristolians, or former Bristolians, or just people who love Bristol and that area of SW England.

I know the servers are down at the moment, so lets share some positivity for a bit!

One HUGE positive for me at EGGD is they’ve finally added GA parking and fixed taxiway routes for the southside area, and best of all, ATC now lets you hold short at JX on Juliet for RW27 rather than crossing the runway and lining up on Alpha like you’re an airliner!

Once we’re back up and running with online connectivity I cant wait to explore the photogrammetry.

6 Likes

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I’m unable to request a taxi to parking or to the gates after touching down in EGGD?

1 Like

There are elevation problems around Bristol area in the countryside. Also Clifton Suspension Bridge does not look great. Wonder if it can be deactivated ? The version in flightsim.to looking much better!

2 Likes

Do you have the UK2000 version ?

Interesting, where did you find elevation problems? I’ll go take a look later.

I did a round trip from RW 27, left circuit over Chew Valley, north to the city, flew over the docks and temple meads, the back over the suspension bridge to avonmouth. Left turn down the coast to Clevedon, over my childhood home village, then back to the airport. It did all look as I’d expect.

I then returned my UK2000 version of EGGD to the community folder, interestingly ATC was giving me convoluted taxi instructions again… it might be because I spawned on the grass parking this time and the sim didn’t know how to direct me from there? I’ll test more…

The photogrammetry doesn’t extend south into long Ashton which is a shame, but seems to cover a lot of the north and west of the city.

Cuts off the western end of the avonmouth bridge, too…

Fellow Bristolian here. All my flights tend to start and stop at EGGD, and always have had (been a user of MFS for over twenty years now). Unfortunately the update for Bristol the city itself isn’t particulary brilliant in my opinion, many features are missing among other issues. Personally If your rig can handle it and you don’t mind a little extra load time, then download the freeware city of Bristol and Avonmouth from the link below. Also included is an incredible suspension bridge mod. The Asobo update pails into insignificance beside it. The Bristol airport (paid for) model on the ingame storefront is also very good.

Yes that’s a major issue and only fixed by buying the airport from the storefront.

I noticed some rectangular shallow trances just outside Nailsea. I did removed my rolling cashe and content.xml this morning and will try again shortly. Will get back to you to let you know if still there. All in all not looking that great, Avonmouth looking quite grim…mind you it`s not that cheerful place lol. What bothers me with photogrametry in general is the look of cranes, power lines, masts etc.

…tried that one but trees unfortunately looking bad ;-(…shame as nice package otherwise!

Bristol or Avonmouth? Looks fine on my pc.

Bristol…as Avonmouth lacks trees by default LOL…industrial area!

Himm that is interesting. Which version did you download? I believe there is a newer 3.0 version now. It looks infinitely better including all the trees and foliage on my pc.

Agree with you the textures in v3 looking much better than Asobo version but trees are looking a form of triangular mess unfortunately. I might revert to it but not sure how to remove Bristol (Asobo version)

1 Like

Yeah I felt the same way to be honest, but maybe going back to the flightsim.to version now it will feel worth the compromise - more area covered in PG but with worse trees and foliage…

To be fair, it’ll all be fine for most of my flights (IFR in the TBM mostly, looking out the window in VR at scenery from 14000’) but I must admit it didn’t quite live up to my expecations. It’s purely down to coverage for me, I think…

VR Flight Sim Guy just said in his video “it isn’t Walking Simulator 2020, after all!” but all the early advertising videos included acrobatics at 500ft over Rio so we can’t be blamed for wanting more of the good stuff! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I spend a lot of time flying in Florida and so much of that is PG, Miami and Orlando areas really do the job well and it kinda blends in seamlessly when the autogen takes over in the swamps.

There just isn’t the same data covering us in the UK, so Asobo have only got what they’ve got to work with. Shame, but not Asobo’s fault at the end of the day.

I might try the flightsim.to version of the city again and see whats what… and if I can get told to taxi to 27 via Juliet, not J/G/A, I’ll be happy with the airport. Hopefully UK2000 can provide a fix for their version of EGGD on that front, UK2000 have done a great job on the airport and they deserve my cash for their efforts in my book.

I’m not really a payware kinda guy but Bristol is close to my heart and i wanted it to be great. Other airports i know nothing about so care less :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed, most of my flights over the city never fall below a 1000ft. As I mostly fly the A320 and Bristol/Avonmouth is stunning to look at it, as i head out over it with the mod installed. I had high hopes for the update, but it…um, well, you’ve seen it for yourself. :wink:

Yes, I agree Garys work at UK2000 is great. In VR however the popping parked aircraft undercarriage really irritates. Its Asobo`s problem unfortunately and would like to see that fixed sooner or later hopefully. Yes, true statement from Steve aka VR FS Guy :slight_smile:

Prob wait for ORBX London POI fix then revert to autogen. Not impressed overall with photogrammetry.

No I can’t say I’m overly impressed with any of it either. Still it’s a start.

Lovely quality from Asobo LOL …a chopped bridge :wink:

1 Like

HI I live on the other side of the Severn from Bristol quite close to Caldicot and I was looking forward to the Severn bridges being rendered correctly but no such luck . Perhaps I’ve done something wrong with the download but I don’t think so.