[BUG LOGGED] Color artifacts and rough gradient, clouds like oil painting

Those are completely different cloud types. The cumulous type still look pretty good. The ones that don’t are those thin stratus clouds, as shown in your second image, and I agree they look bad compared to the others, but I struggle to describe exactly why.

Smudged is one way. Thin wispy clouds with very defined edges would be another. In any event, my brain tells me they look off in way that I don’t get when I look at cumulous clouds in the sim.

3 Likes

Actually, if you pass through any of the clouds no matter the type, there are weird lines inside the clouds that moves around the aircraft which I didn’t see before SU5. It almost looks like they built cloud textures from scratch of a much inferior quality which even puts it back behind P3D. So much for supposedly making it run on xbox only to pick it back up now which won’t even add anything new to the experience. Is this where the efforts should be put rather than adding much needed enhancements like weather overhaul or improvement to aircraft physics?

1 Like

Two more recent examples from the “Random Screenshot Megathread 3” to highlight the weird purple color effects after SU5. Again, no offence to the guys who took these great shots, it just demonstrates the issues after SU5.
This is the most annoying effect, noticeable purple lines in the sky:

And here’s a more subtle example. While some lighting conditions may warrant some purple, it often looks like someone has overdone the hue in post processing.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the constructive input!
Where is @OlieTsubasa443 ?
I love to see a reaction which says: “ok, you guys are right, we will fix this!”.
One of the strongest selling points - great sky and colors - is just vanished after SU5.

2 Likes

Yes please @OlieTsubasa443 give us our old clouds back. Please.

3 Likes

I think it is worth noting that as of a few days ago this thread also contains the posts from the closed topics

and

Therefore any input regarding these issues might be beneficial for the Devs and hence for all of us.

2 Likes

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/clouds-pixelated/433238/102?u=benjaminus86

2 Likes

This also shows a very nice comparison between Pre-SU5 clouds and Post-SU5 clouds.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/clouds-pixelated/433238/111?u=benjaminus86

2 Likes

Just now, pixelated and low res. On ULTRA

3 Likes

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/clouds-pixelated/433238/120?u=benjaminus86

4 Likes

I wonder about the [BUG LOGGED] tag in the title and the new gizmo image. There are some threads newly tagged that way, yet others like this remain without it.

As there’s still banding and a lot of purple going on in the sim, maybe the new tag should apply?.

1 Like

The bug-logged means “The issue reported by the community is logged as a bug in our database.”

Also, I’ve noticed many people posting here about overall cloud quality. This is not what I’ve intended with this post. While I agree there should be work done on the clouds, this post is about various color lines/bands/artifacts introduced with SU5.

1 Like

Yes, I read that, but I was under the impression that the [BUG LOGGED] in the title basically had the same meaning. Let’s not hope the issue is back on “investigating” or “we don’t see it”, as many - older - threads have been tagged with the new label.

Are those clouds your arrows are pointing at? I don’t see any.

As the OP said:

this post is about various color lines/bands/artifacts introduced with SU5.”

Hence the arrows in the picture show purple banding in the sky which I see a lot since SU5. It is also present in many screenshots in these forums since August, yet not in all. That hints imho on color changes made with SU5 that are not fully compatible with certain hardware. My guess is that it is changes for HDR TV sets that don’t sit well with SDR computer monitors.
Here’s another example: I can clearly see “zones” of purplish and greenish tint within these screnshots (and those effects disturb me on every flight - more or less depending on the lighting). In the first one I marked the borders of these “zones” with black lines, beginning at the bottom with a puplish tint then greenish and so forth. The second one should be self explaining.

1 Like

I only brought it up as this thread is about clouds, not colour bands in general. I have seen this the bands in clouds before, but not the colouring. The clouds look as if someone has take a 2D sprite in a pain package, then pasted this down multiple times overlapping with those before. The human brain is adept at picking out these “unnatural” shapes.

3 Likes

According to the title, yes. But if you take a closer look at the OP, it’s more about these weird color issues. The more so as since two weeks ago a few threads dealing with these issues have been merged into this one:

2 Likes

Perhaps all part of a common cause?

Another example from the Random Screenshot Megathread 3:
238a216e747df210f627b58c4f62dfd507980cf7_2_690x388
Although being a nice shot and thus not meant to critisize the poster, it shows awful rasterization in the highlights (sky) and the shadows (ground) , not to mention the purple fringes. I wonder why so many people don’t seem to notice or care.

3 Likes

Too busy actually flying, I guess.