[BUG LOGGED] CTD caused by Capture One 20 codec

and CO finger points to the nvidia driver, as mentioned.

Hi EmmaPeel,

You really have made a lot of fellow Simmers Happy :smiley:
This gives hope to others, who know there would be a fix to the CTD issues in the near future!

Would you have any other solutions for PCā€™s which do not have Capture one loaded and still get CTDā€™s. Since Update 5, I canā€™t get past the 4th slide when starting FS2020ā€¦as CTD before the Menu page. The Event log shows Exception code 0xc0000005.

Thanks and have a great day

Hi EmmaPeel,
But all this raises a queation with me:
Why didnā€™t the combination CO and MSFS cause ctdā€™s BEFORE WU5??
I have flown a lot without ctdā€™s.
They only started AFTER WU5.
So isnā€™t the cause then some change in MSFS?
Or am I thinking wrong?

Gert

Without any technical know-how, my guess is this.

I believe the underlying issue was there before WU5. If I turned LODā€™s up past a certain point pre-WU5, I would also get guaranteed CTDā€™s. I just assumed it was some kind of instability but it wasnā€™t game-ending. After WU5, certain fixes like underclocking, disabling add-ons and reducing LODā€™s didnā€™t eliminate crashes for me, but reduced them.

After the CO rename fix, Iā€™ve loaded all my addons, brought GPU clocks back up, even cranked the settings up past LODā€™s that wouldā€™ve crashed pre-WU5 for me. So far, so good. Not even a stutter.

Can confirm, my CTDs appear to be fixed. I couldnā€™t find the file OP mentioned but completely uninstalled C1 anyway as I donā€™t use it anymore. Managed about 6 flights so far without a CTD! In an airliner with no issues entering glideslope.

Thank you so much OP! Very happy man!

Aha,
That means that due to WU5 the loading of the CO dll has become a critical issue!!
IBefore it was also existant, but not critical.
I hope this can be fixed by changing the msfs code.

Gert

After four days with no CTD Iā€™m fairly confident the Capture One fix has worked! The sim has been virtually unusable for me since WU5 and I was getting pretty disheartened as nothing I tried had any effect. So Iā€™d like to send a big thank you to EmmaPeel for sharing, as it would have taken me forever to work that out on my own; and perhaps this thread should be a reminder to all of the positivity that this forum can generate.

Incidentally re-naming the file seems to have had no negative effect on my Capture One software.

1 Like

I just discovered this myself and was surprised that someone else discovered it. For the record, I have Capture One 21 (the latest) and it creates a litany of CTDs. Uninstalled Capture One, CTDs appear to be gone.

Thank you. I have exactly the same problem. When my PC only has MS FS it runs perfectly. As soon as I reinstall Capture One Flight Simultor fails. These are the only two programs I want to run on this new PC, specially bought for MS FS.

I will try the fix, though I do believe that this should be considered as an MS FS problem, not as a Capture One problem. How do we make sure that it gets into a bug list on the FS side and gets cured? It would be really good if someone from MS ackowledged this issue.

[BUG LOGGED] in this topic name means MS has recognized MS FS bug.
C1 already listed as conflicting app https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406047820690-All-versions-Sim-freezes-or-crashes-before-loading-fully

Incredible, I canā€™t believe it, but it is true. I have canceled the Capture One 20 library that is indicated in this thread, and for now I have already had 2 full flights with ā€œsaturatedā€ scenarios close to the hour, which are what I usually do, and without any problem.
A thousand thanks to EmmaPeel7259 for giving us this ā€œbizarreā€ solution initially.

MODERATOR EDIT:
Dear EmmaPeel7259,

My thanks is great had for SU5 Capture One installed, no problems but after the SU5 only CTD, after reading the message I have removed Capture One and from that moment on fly smoothly, Chapeau,Chapeau, I wish you all the best and happy landing

Beste EmmaPeel7259,

Mijn dank is groot had voor SU5 Capture One geinstalleerd, geen problemen maar na de SU5 alleen CTD, na het lezen van het bericht heb ik Capture One verwijderd en vanaf dat moment probleemloos vliegen, Chapeau,Chapeau, ik wens u alle goeds toe en happy landings

Unfortunately, this method doesnā€™t work for me.
I didnā€™t even use Capture One and never installed it.
But CTD does happen. :sweat:
Iā€™ve tried everything but to no avail.
If I install Capture One and change it, will it solve the problem?

For me the newest Nvidia driver works. Please try it.

Hey, good point. I have the same feeling as you. I donā€™t have Capture One. my RAM is checked. no others games crash on my config (except Cyberpunk from time to time, but itā€™s normalā€¦ itā€™s Cyberpunk)

With FS, itā€™s strange, sometimes it works great and sometimes, even in the main menu the game can crash. Worst, sometimes it crashs during the loading (after the ā€œupdate checkā€ step)
on my PC, it doesnā€™t go back to desktop : my screen become black and fan turn on at 100%. I have to push power button ā€¦

Iā€™m sad

as former linked the manufacture itself created a bug against nvidia. may be its fixed in meanwhile. Sorry to say, but the symptoms you describe points more to a system issueā€¦ may be check the existing topics about.

thank you so much!
I would have liked to find your solution before, I tried so many things!
Thank you very much!
one wonders why the simulator uses a file from another software ā€¦ hope it will fix quickly to avoid the problem to other person, frustration and bad review
how did you manage to find that? I am very curious and have a very good technical level, I am a programmer
Thank you

I was getting CTDs recently, event viewer was showing .NET Framework errors. Did a search and found this threadā€¦it was a blessing! I also have Capture One and noticed FlightSim.exe was running .dll from Capture One per this threadā€™s instructionsā€¦weird!. Renamed the file and voila, no more CTDs.

Thank you!

Hallelujah! I recently started having inexplicable CTDs which I had never seen before. In looking at the error logs I found the offending DLL and when searching the forum I found this thread. I have had Capture One on my computer like forever bit never had the CTD issue before.

HOWEVER:

I did update C1 to the 21 version not too long ago and in thinking about it, that was pretty much the time the problems started. So this morning I disabled C1 explorer integration and renamed the DLL and so far so good (fingers crossed).

Really excellent detective work by the OP: amazing that you identified the issue!

Just updated C1 to the latest version and BOOMā€¦ FS CTD again.
This bug is incredible.