[BUG LOGGED] CTD caused by Capture One 20 codec

I don’t have a definitive proof yet but so far, 0 crashes and I tried to stress the game really hard. It’s incredible but so far, this was the source of my pain.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I have been struggling with CTD since the release. And I happen to have C1 20 installed as well…
Just saw this today, and during my testing, I saw no CTD’s on maxed out settings! That was just not possible until today. I almost can’t believe that it works. I just hope it will keep on working.

How on earth did you find the connection between CTD and this C1 dll file?

Thank you!

1 Like

I can 110% confirm Capture One was the source of my crashes. Incredible, I would have never guessed it, it had been ruining my Flight Simulator experience for who knows how long - more than a year for sure.

THANK YOU. I have no words to say how happy this has made me.

Thanks, it helped a lot. Asobo should fix it.

Asobo have nothing to fix. This is between the capture1 dll and windows10. No doubt microsoft will just tell you to upgrade to windows11.

1 Like

Are you saying this bug is fixed with Windows 11? I have been dutifully and dilligently renaming the DLL for the past couple years every time I do a Capture One update. Is that no longer required with Win 11?

Nope, when i was having w11 i was still needed to rename it.

1 Like

Thanks Janusz: I thought that sounded too good to be true!

Well I admit that was a bit of supposition from me because last I heard it was trying to open derelict pages in Internet Explorer. I know I don’t suffer but then again I don’t believe I have any apps that need it and if I did I would look for an alternative.

Early versions of W11 were basically just W10 in a new outfit. Someone should really check that C1 is still a problem.

Ok. For a year now I’ve been basically unable to play Flight Simulator in an enjoyable way because it would often crash on approach to runways, randomly. This is after hours of flying to the destination, so very frustrating.

I’ve installed NeoFly and I found myself unable to do a simple run because it would always crash around the destination.

This way, I have found a 5/5 repro for this CTD. After uninstalling literally everything, closing everything, and going down setting by setting to the point where:

Graphics settings to absolute lowest
Directx 11
DLSS off
All Online features off
Safe Mode
No mods in the folder
Uninstalled the world package for that area
Disabled XMP profile for my RAM
Uninstalled chipset drivers
Uninstalled MSI Afterburner
Turned off the sound card

And it was still crashing.

This solution WORKED. I just had a 40 minute flying session around that area with zero issues and I’ve re-enabled everything and it’s still working just fine.

To Reproduce this:

Pre-Requisite:

• Windows 11 (i see it happens on W10 as well). Latest drivers, bla bla.
  • Capture One 21 installed on the system
  • As described by the previous user: the file “Capture One 20\WIC\WIC64\P1.WIC.NativeComWrapper.dll” exists in the Capture One folder

Repro steps:

1. Any aircraft
  2. Any settings of the game
  3. Set spawn point near Kronborg castle, Denmark (~60km above Copenhagen, it’s a POI)
  4. Fly around the castle in circles for ~1 minute
  5. Notice crash 5/5

System:

• Ryzen 5800X
  • 32GB RAM
  • RTX 2070

I don’t think, as one user stated, that this is between Capture One and Windows.
It’s specific areas or specific situations where this CTD happens. I’ve had flights that were flawless with 3-4 hours of no problems. And then specific areas or airports where it happens. And I guess this 5/5 repro around this specific location proves that there’s something in the simulator code interfering/calling/interacting with that DLL that causes this to happen. So Asobo should 100% look into this and fix it.

It’s been a complete drain on my soul for the past year and I dropped the game twice already because it’s just not enjoyable to boot and work hard only to have it crash in your face before landing or right after takeoff after you spent time configuring your plane.

This needs to be fixed!