[BUG LOGGED] Elevator trim doesn't work as pre-SU5 and it's impossible to fly

The -50 +50 trim issue is easily noticeable on say the C-152. If you use your mouse you can continue to move the trim full as opposed to the controller axis. If I had anything to say to Asobo it would be…You had but (1) job and you blew it (recent update).

Hello! Our team is hoping for some details for anyone willing to share. Please use this format:

• Peripheral being used:
  • Screenshot of your Sensitivity screen
  • What commands are you using to adjust the Elevator Trim:
    • Set Elevator Trim
    • Elevator Trim Up / Down
    • Elevator Trim Axis (0 to 100)
    • Elevator Trim Axis (-100 to 100)
5 Likes

X56 HOTAS

Elevator trim is set on the throttle axis that sits on top of right throttle. (joystick L - axis z) sensitivity is set at -25 for both.

In say the C-152 moving the axis will only reflect -50 - +50 from neutral position.

If I’m using the Cub Crafter the switch for the trim on the stick will move erratically on it’s own. Trim ends up in full down position. This can be viewed while sitting on the runway.

looking at discussions here it seems that perhaps electric trim is OK? The DA40 has electric trim…

Surely, the trim is broken since SU5 and it’s no fun anymore as I mostly fly the C172. I was hoping that this important control of an aircraft would be fixed with WU6 but seems like for ASOBO, it is more important to discover the world than to fly…

Also, since SU5, my key binding on the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke for Flaps and Trim sometimes remained unresponsive in flight for a few seconds, anyone having this issue ?

1 Like

It does not work with the TBM930 or DA40 or c172 (classic) which have trim wheel.
It does work with DA62 which also has trim wheel and is in close relationship with DA40.

It is not about “realistic” behavior, it has been discussed above that this is a seemingly random issue with some planes.

@AndyClark20 DA62 works perfectly and it should be the “same” system as DA40.

All the aircraft you mentioned feature electric trim and IRL no sane pilot would use the trim wheel if electric trim is available.

G940
settings for my trim wheel are on the left

I use the trim wheel for the wheel and pov for electric trim.

On this picture you can see how far the trim wheel is going if I use a mouse wheel as a control.

This is when I use as control the wheel on my G940

The same situation as above (G940 trim wheel) but from an external camera, look at trim figures

And this picture is about using POV on G940 for electric trim (by the way, the battery of the plane is OFF but the trim works)

If I have 4.2 in the cockpit

I have 0.2 on external HUD

If on external HUD I have 0.0 in the coclpit I have -0.5

And it takes about 22 sec for electric trim to go full range, I think this is too slow.

1 Like

I also just found out the control filter is broke too when I search? lol.

Peripheral being used: VKB Gladiator NXT

Screenshot of your Sensitivity screen

What commands are you using to adjust the Elevator Trim:

• [X] Elevator Trim Axis (-100 to 100) - I used this before SU5 broke it on some planes.
    100% broken on: Shock Ultra, Extra 300, DA40, Cessna 172 classic, Pipistrel Virus.
    Works perfectly (for me): Robin DR400, DA62, Flight Design CTSL

What is strange, that when I use Elevator Trim Up/Down buttons, on those planes which also works with the axis (eg. dr400), when I release the button the trim wheel stops immediately, while on those which does not work ok with the axis, when I release the buttons it doesn’t stop instantly but goes on and slows down to an eventual stop.

1 Like

Broke on SR22 too

1 Like

I think here there are at least three different issues, all related to trim. There’s so much confusion: and this confusion is mainly caused by the moderators of this forum that have the annoying tendency to merge all threads into one, despite issues are different though all regarding elevator trim.

6 Likes

Agreed. Different peripherals and the inclusion of people having issues with third party planes are further muddying the waters.

I just want the trim wheel on my Honeycomb Bravo to allow me level flight in the 152. I’m having issues with numerous other planes but the 152 needs to be flawless or a lot of new people are going to be scared off.

This should really be a first-to-fix priority but I’m not even sure if it’s on Asobo or Honeycomb to make it happen in my case. I’m assuming Asobo since even the default KB/M bindings exhibit the same, ultra-sensitive behavior but I honesty don’t know.

2 Likes

I think most of these trim issues comes from one source. Without having access to the source code, I suspect the problem comes from the new locking interaction system. I noticed that when I trim via an axis, on the bugged planes the electric trim buttons are pressed which isn’t the correct behaviour; it looks like with some planes the axis is tied to the buttons, while those buttons does not move when using the trim axis.

There are reports about new clicking noises after SU5 which also comes from the electric trim buttons being pressed even when using the axis to trim; this cannot be heard on planes with working trim axis, just like their trim button does not move in the cockpit.

There is some connection with the trim up/down buttons and the trim axis, because they change behavior together with certain planes, eg. when I release the trim up/down button it stops trimming instantly, while on the planes with bugged axis trims it trims further for a while. This can be verified on planes with both trim wheel and electric trim, eg. in the DA62 it stops immediately, while in the cessna 172 classic the trim wheel moves for a while.

I’m not sure about the issue of only being able to trim until 50%.

I also noticed that on some planes like the SR22 and Shock Ultra, when I trim down with the axis, after a while it trims down. When I start to trim up the plane is still trimming down for a while then changes to trimming up. This can be verified by looking at the button, when i change direction from down to up, the button still moves down, and after a while it changes to the up position.

1 Like

Thank you for all the feedback! I’ll let you know if there are other questions from the team about this in their investigation.

Note that I use the two rocker switches on my yoke for adjusting trim, as indicated by the yellow arrows in the photo of my yoke. Left rocker is used for elevator trim up/down and right rocker is used for rudder trim left/right. So I use no axis settings for adjusting trim, just these rocker/button presses, which worked fine until either SU4 or SU5. Before that time, a quick press and release of the trim rockers would result in minute changes to attitude. But since SU4 and SU5, including the latest world update, just tapping the rocker results in terrible fluctuations in attitude and altitude.

For instance, I recently took a flight with the C152, and after about 10 minutes, had it cruising fairly level at about 9,000 ft, RPMs about 2100, speed about 95 knots. The VSI was showing a very slight climb rate of about 5ft/min. I tapped the rocker on my yoke to add a tiny bit of trim down, and the VSI within a few seconds was showing a negative 1605ft/min descent, with the speed rapidly increasing. This was almost immediately followed by the plane pitching up into a nearly 600ft/min climb, and sudden decrease in speed of course. This yo-yoing continued for about 45 seconds, until the plane was in almost level flight again.

This is what happens anytime I try to trim the plane at all, which is ludicrous. And note that the same thing happens if I use the default keyboard commands of Num 1 or Num 7 to try and adjust the trim, so the issue is not unique to my contoller. The sim is just responding crazily to any input.

1 Like

Thank you! Our team has identified four bugs with elevator trim and are prioritizing for fixes and release in future updates. They include:

• Elevator Trim is super sensitive when changed using the mouse wheel
  • Elevator trim cannot be properly adjusted on aircraft that have electric trim switches (a regression)
  • Full range of elevator trim cannot be achieved with Elevator Trim Axis (-100% to 100%) command
  • Warning appears when user tries to map an axis to the Elevator Trim Axis (0 to 100%) command

They have been able to get the specific repros needed thanks to your help. Will keep you updated on progress when I can!

Thanks all.

10 Likes

Edit (guess you don’t need further input) - just saw your post Jayne. Thanks very much to you and the team for following up on this!

Edit 2: Also wanted to report that expand/collapse “^” toggle in the controller options menu is also still inop (not sure if it just me). Have to use the “Expand/Collapse All” menu option to see the inputs.

To add to that; Even when trim is technically working as design it needs to be changed on some aircraft.

E.g. trim on the 152 works when you are using buttons without problems, but it’s ~50% too sensitive.
It’s the opposite with the A5 which is ~50% too insensitive.

4 Likes

My trim button on the Alpha no longer works. The Bravo trim wheel no longer works. The keyboard trim sort of works. Same keybindings for all three. This update trashed elevator trim. There have been different trim issues reported prior to WU6 especially about the trim being too slow. WU6 fixed the problem by making the trim so slow it no longer works.

On the Cessna 172, the trim wheel is linked to the electrical trim on the Yoke since Simupdate 5. If you use an external trim wheel, like the one from Saitek, the electric trim buttons on the yoke move in addition to the trim wheel. This creates the strange clicking noise when using the trim wheel. When only using the trim wheel, the electric trim buttons should not move. In addition, by combining the electrical trim with the manual trim, the trim wheel is too sensitive and jumps a little. Fine trimming over the axis, as up to Simupdate 4, is no longer possible. Please investigate this bug as well.

If the trim axis is used in the controller menu, it looks as if fine trimming over the entire axis is possible. But in Game it isn’t possible.

I use a Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel as a peripheral input device, which worked wonderfully up to Simupdate 4. Jane, I would be grateful for a short feedback :slight_smile: