[BUG LOGGED] Elevator trim doesn't work as pre-SU5 and it's impossible to fly

i have the trim issue but cannot upgrade the package due to an error

Any idea why?

I don’t know what’s going on there. When I installed the update I didn’t have that problem. I would suggest filing a support ticket.

1 Like

Can confirm this happened with the Classic 172. One mouse click of trim up or down and the plane will try to kill you. Ended up following YPractice’s suggestion. Keep in mind not only do you have to update the planes in the content manager - you have to restart the sim. At least once. Before I restarted the sim the trim problem was still there just even more weird. The trim is still kind of wonky. It seems the new clicking sound it makes makes the trim wheel travel sort of stutter. I have over 800 hours in a real 172 and there is no way you can hear the trim wheel when the engine is running. At least the plane is sort of back to flyable.

Bonus Bug: The update reversed the way my external trim wheel works. Great real world practice for when the shop puts your trim tab back together incorrectly after an annual. Luckily someone put a checkbox in the settings so that can be easily reversed.

So, that was four hours for the download and three hours to figure out the new unnecessary mouse lock thing and this elevator nonsense.

1 Like

I can confirm the issue here as well.

It’s impossible to achieve level flight with a 172 with the trim behavior as it is now. The very last small patch (on July 30) did not fix it.

1 Like

For those using FSUIPC there is an alternative until Asobo maybe fixes this.

My DELUXE UPGRADE is up to date, I have the hotfix, and the trim is still stuffed for me in the C172 Classic. Go up one click and it climbs 200-400fpm, go down one click and it descends 200-400fpm.

I’m losing my patience with this game.

2 Likes

C172 - trim wheel broken for me too.

So they have taken the most flown aricraft in the world and broken it so it is completely unflyable.

This is pathetic.

1 Like

by the way - the fuel selector valve is broken too!

1 Like

Same for me on C172 level flight impossible to attain with trim. Either climbing or diving. So I reassigned elevator trim to the slider on my Tflight Hotas (it was buttons) and de-sensitised it - still no dice on C172. But then switched to DA40TDI and eventually could get straight & level flight. Clearly needs fixing and gets my vote

I’m having the same issue as well. When I fly my favorite TBM aircraft does not turn to the right or left right away and i have to suddenly jerk the control to make it happen. The same happens when going up and down. It never did this before before SU-5 and now does it which is annoying as hell. Is anyone having the same issue as well ?

1 Like

Trim is part of the basic fundamentals of flight, but since trim has nothing to do with screenshots, it remains a low priority. The screenshot obsession is what the real problem is, get rid of this obsession, and aviation fundamentals will finally matter more than screenshots. Until then, trim will not matter much.

Still just a photography game.

7 Likes

Trim has always varied per plane - but it needs to be more granular
 probably not be a switch function. I find the lack of smoothness in the whole trim system to be pretty distracting and unrealistic.

Also, the “switch” clicking sound every time you use the trim now?! That alone needs a hotfix :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried the Extra and Cessna Caravan: the electric trim moves down / up much faster than it used to. I would say around twice as fast.
Too fast to my taste. Trying to get used to this, but I hope they put it back as it was.

I was trying to find a fix in the Controls options only to discover that my joystick options are partially broken: the assignments work, but the expand/collapse is buggy, and pressing on the buttons no longer highlight the assigned buttons. There are so many problems, I will have to make a video to show this (later, no time now).

I noticed the same, basically shortly after the first take-off. It seems that on my system I had to invert the axis as well.

Great to know after taking a 5 month hiatus from the game that they still let major updates out without even the slightest bit of testing.

All it would have taken was to fly a plane for less than 5 minutes to see that the trim is totally broken.

Just like others are experiencing, with my xbox one gamepad (on PC), the trim doesn’t work at all
 I have it bound to the up and down D-pad buttons, which previously worked fine but now it just doesn’t work period.

3 Likes

My hypothesis is this was to fix the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quad that had the Trim Wheel not working well due to it being way too sensitive. It’s better now on the Bravo, but could be a little smoother.

Yeah this is an urgent problem and I’m really surprised this isn’t quite high in priority. Flying circuits properly in the 152 is not possible in it’s current state.

Example: Top of climb at 1000 level off and attempt to hold altitude trim up or down will either climb or descent. I can’t fly level. Even if I try to use the mouse to adjust the trim wheel, the plane will shoot nose up or down.

I really don’t like to be negative with this stuff, but this one is extremely important in a flight sim! It’s not nitpicking here, if you can’t fly an airplane straight and level you have a big problem.

6 Likes

I see votes are getting up. Keep going people, we need this sorted out asap!

Yep, first time since msfs2020 is out and the sim is unflyable. I have the boxed version btw, same issue here.

Same issue on Just Flight Piper PA28 Turbo Arrow. It was flying perfectly before update and now trim switch on my Alpha Flight control and the wheel on the Bravo throttle are way to sensitive.
Please bring back trim speed to previous setting. Now flying is not enjoyable anymore, expecially if people like me spent lot of money (much more than a Xbox) on hardware and softwere to use this SIMULATOR.

2 Likes