Losing mouse control on Xbox Series S/X

Everything was pretty good for some months, mouse being recognized all the times, but then all of a sudden I started having exactly the same issue today… tried restarting the sim and the console many times without luck… once again sim is unplayable :expressionless:

Had the same prob.Use another usb port it fixed mine.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, will try to change USB port :smile:

I switch on the xbox using the button on the console… Not the controller… Didn’t get the error again… My mousepointer froze every time I clicked on ‘fly’. Or wasn’t working at all, even at the homepage… Rebooting msfs AND the x box helped sometimes… But not every time… Very annoying problem which need to be fixed soon… It s a deal breaker…

My set up is an XBox Series X, V1F Controller and a wireless mouse plus an X Box Controller (with an incorporated keyboard) which I use for a few things. I seem to mainly lose mouse control now after a CTD or an Installation Update - it certainly is annoying. CTDs are bad enough but knowing you will have to fiddle around to get the mouse working again afterwards just makes it a lot worse!

Based on my experience so far and advice I have picked up on this forum I have put together some recommended steps to get the mouse working properly again e.g. after a CTD; and perhaps avoid loss of cursor control in the first place.

1. Switch off the XBox and restart using the button on the console (previously I started the XBox by simply connecting it to my V1F Controller).
  2. When the X Box screen appears turn on the XBox Controller and press the “A” button when the cursor dot is over the large MSFS icon. (At this stage the mouse cursor is not visible).
  3. MSFS will usually restart fully again (rather than QuickStart). When the “Press any button to start” message appears try clicking the left mouse button. If this works it indicates that the mouse functionality has probably fully returned. If not further measures are necessary :-
  4. Use the Xbox Controller to start the sim instead. When MSFS has fully loaded up the mouse cursor should appear but clicking will be inoperable. Move the wireless dongle to a different USB port on the Xbox and fully restart the sim by signing out. So far this has always worked for me, but strangely the mouse cursor that first appears is a much bigger circular one which later reverts to the normal size/shape.
  5. Finally connect the V1F Controller to the Xbox.

I would be interested to have any comments on these steps. If I continue to have loss of cursor control with my wireless mouse I plan to get a wired mouse and see if I have more luck with that.

2 Likes

Had the same problem , I used the usb at the back no probs now hope this helps.

1 Like

Yes, I switch to the USB at the back as well in order to get the mouse working again (refer Point 4). Then I switch back to the one at the front.
Are you saying you use the USB at the back of the Xbox permanently now for the mouse dongle? and if so has this permanently solved your mouse disconnection problems? Do you get a much larger mouse cursor with the rear USB like me as well?

Yes I always permanently have mine in back USB . Yes the pointer is larger dont know why .

Thanks. Very useful info.

It happens when I click on “fly”. Or I already have no pointer at the word map screen… Restarting the sim does not help… I have to restart the xbox aswell… Usually the mouse will work normally after that… Unplugging the mouse while the sim is loaded gives me a big black cursor which is not frozen but clicking on something will give strange results… Clicking on the world map will load the ms store for instance… So it’s useless… When the normal mouse curser is frozen al the buttons and the scrollwheel work normal… But thats useless if ye can’t select anything… Changing the mouse for a wired one or just another one does not help… The problem is in the software… The frozen mouse problem acurs about 1 in 10 times… But sometimes it can happen aswell when you are already flying and the mouse workes just fine when you take off… I only had that happen once… The only thing that works for me is rebooting the sim and the x box aswell… Leave the xbox off for 30 secondes or so before starting up again… This is a very annoying problem. And may be a deal breaker if it is not solved soon…

I am sorry that you are having the same problems with the mouse. As I say in my “steps” you do need to restart the XBox and the sim. I found that the big black cursor did work OK I.e. without the quirks that you were getting and then a little later it seemed to revert back to the normal cursor. Someone mentioned that using the USB port at the back of the XBox (rather than at the front) was a permanent solution, so you could try that. I have now set mine up that way two days ago and so far so good.
The frequency of my mouse connectivity problems was about the same as you, and like you it did happen sometimes when clicking Fly, so not always associated with CTDs and Installation Updates.
I absolutely agree it is very frustrating and could become a deal breaker for many.

1 Like

Only once did I get a big black cursor working normal and yes, that time it did revert back tot the normal curser after a while… switching usb ports did nothing for me… This problem is actually worse that a CTD… because after a CTD I can just start FS up again without switching the XBox off. So getting the mouse to work after I failes takes longer than starting up after a CTD … Must say I did not have the problem for 3 days now… I so hope MS fixed it…

I’m noticing this issue is becoming even more recurrent in the latest Sim Update 11 Beta build.

And it’s even more frustrating/infuriating since the controller cursor is so bugged currently too.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. After more problems with wireless mouse connectivity that I could not seem to fix using my 5 steps (refer post of 17 days ago) , I have switched to using a wired mouse. Everything is good so far, but others have said it is a software problem so I’m not holding out great hopes of it being a permanent solution.

This persists and continues to be quite frustrating given how long it takes to reboot the sim.

2 Likes

Internally we have been struggling to pinpoint this issue, but for those experiencing this, here are some questions that may help:

What type of mouse are you using?

• Wired mouse
  • Wireless mouse

0 voters

List all other peripherals connected, and if they are wired or wireless:

Are you on Xbox Series X or S?

How often do you lose mouse control, and when does it happen?

X box serie X

full thrusmaster kit TCA Boeing (yoke + 4 levers throttle ) and full kit TCA airbus all wired
Rudder pedal thrusmaster wired
MIAP wired
Wired trackball used as mouth
USB hub self electrified

Loss of track ball occurs when ctd happen now with New update.

This issue was fixed with su10 and su11 for me

1 Like

• Xbox Series X
• Razer Turret Xbox-Specific wireless keyboard/mouse via included USB wireless dongle
• Thrustmaster Boeing TCA yoke wired to Xbox
• Thrustmaster Boeing TCA throttle quadrant x2 — quadrant 2 daisy-chain wired to quadrant 1 daisy-chain wired to yoke
• Thrustmaster TPR pedals daisy-chain wired to quadrant 2
• Rig 800 Pro wireless headset — base wired to Xbox

The frequency of the issue, for me, has always been rather infrequent. It’s hard to quantify since I go long periods of not consistently having time to sim, so I can’t say X times a month or so.

The issue, for me, seems to arise during a session where the mouse was working fine and then stops working rather than not working at all upon sim startup. A reboot of the sim, for me, always fixes the issue.

I sometimes feel like I see it happen if I start to manipulate the mouse while the sim is still processing something. For instance, today it happened when I grabbed the mouse to click the “Fly” button, but I could tell the sim hadn’t finished doing what it was doing before it “released” me to be able to do so. I hope that makes sense. In other words, the “Fly” button/screen appears momentarily before you are actually able to click that “Fly” button. There is a beat or two you have to wait. I moved the mouse in that time and it would no longer move the pointer, however the pointer would appear (albeit stationary) whenever I touched the mouse.

1 Like

And like that, I’m wrong. I rebooted the sim after I made my initial post today and the mouse is not working. I just tried to use it after contributing to Jummi’s post.

I see no pointer when I move the mouse. However the sim will respond as though there is a pointer. In other words, it is the inverse of the issue I mentioned in my previous post — the pointer is invisible, but it moves and if you can somehow get it over a clickable object on screen you can click and have that result in a successful action. My previous post was the opposite — the pointer is visible, but will not move when the mouse is manipulated.

After rebooting the sim again, I now have a usable mouse. It’s a tough one, this.

1 Like

Apologies for the multiple posts, but I have a bit more to add.

I have two Xbox Series X. One I only use for the sim and configured as I previously described. The other I will rarely sim on, but if I do I use:

• Thrustmaster Hotas One w/TRFP pedals (plugged into Hotas) wired to Xbox
• Razer Turret Xbox-Specific wireless keyboard/mouse via included USB wireless dongle (which I “borrow” from my primary sim system)

In both systems, I also have the Xbox controller for use as well.

1 Like