[BUG LOGGED] Multiplayer Stuttering after world update - Liveries Bug report

Folks, please note that we are discussing here a very specific kind of “stuttering” which is indeed related to multiplayer: the behaviour is exactly as described by the OP, a completele “freeze” for like a quarter of a second, in regular intervals (each second or so).

So please do discuss general performance issues elsewhere. Again, this thread here is about a very specific performance problem related to multiplayer (as it seems anyway - “when more than N aircraft are nearby”).

We have experienced the same “interval stuttering” in the flight here:

The issue really impacted everyone who was “in the area with a high player densitiy”. We tried different aircraft as well (initially we all started with an X-Cub, but it happened with other types as well, including a “non-glass cockpit” aircraft, the Spitfire).

Both nVidia and AMD systems are affected.

The number of players (or distance) that it takes to reproduce this is not quite clear: stuttering disappeared once you moved away from “the flock” (like 20 nm), but as soon as you came closer (with “slew”) it started again.

At one point I counted like 15 nameplates around me, and it did not stutter (nor did it for others at that time - we exchanged our common experience via Discord), so the actual number of players that it takes to reproduce this is not quite clear (might be more in the vicinity of 20 players or so). But it is definitively related to the amount of players, and also possibly to the distance of each to one another.

5 Likes

I had the same problem concerning the invisible planes in multi (we were 2, with the H135, in our case). Solution found: use the basic liveries

I do use the basic liveries and im getting this split second freezing every 5 seconds since this latest world update

3 Likes

This isn’t a temporary fix if you want to fly in a group

12 Likes

no apology needed I put the original post in the wrong place, my error.

Kev

I was in the stutter world tour flight. We all did testing to see if we could fix it. Most people kept having the same issues and it was a on a constant tick rate. I put the FPS counter up and the manipulator thread was constantly freezing and leaving gaps in the graph up to 170-200ms every 60-80 frames. It got better when we separated ourselves, we switched to different planes it made not much difference to many people. I ended up with Coherent gt draw - FPS limiting glitch 100ms 10fps bug and then my autopilot stopped working.

So this is an issue but we can’t seem to narrow it down to what it is. We usually have 40-50 people in each flight.

We tested yesterday and it’s very simple. If someone loads into the server close enough to be seen in the same plane as you but displaying a livery which you do NOT have installed, then you will stutter. We tested for an hour last night and could recreate at will (on and off) by changing planes and liveries. Without fail. It has to be to do with matching - seems like it polls every second to try and match and keeps trying instead of just showing a generic skin.

Needs URGENT attention!!

Our group flight had Xcubs and C208s badly affected and I experienced it at Nice and London city in a 320. Given there are 10s of thousands of custom liveries you are almost guaranteed to hit this if you fly with multiplayer enabled. I was smooth as butter en-route to Nice and as soon as I saw other players appear on screen the stuttering started. The majority of the others were in 320s so I was doomed.

11 Likes

This seems to be tied to liveries. If someone is using a livery that the others don’t have, it causes stutters for those who do not have the same livery.

4 Likes

Here is what I posted yesterday. This was our finding during a group flight.

after this update playing in multiplayer is being a horrible experience, when i try to make a group nobody can see each other. Another, the planes are blinking like a Christmas tree and invisible. MicroAsobo is so hard, they don’t hit one inside.

2 Likes

Been trying to get multiplayer playable these last days, and it seems completely broken. 90% of the time all players aircraft are invisible, some with blinking nametags. Sometimes a random visible static low poly default model shows up here and there even though I turned the “show generic aircraft” OFF in the settings.

Seems to be absolutely broken and unplayable (as in if you actually want to see other aircrafts).

1 Like

Why all updates are constantly degrading this sim? Even when they are so close to releasing it on consoles.

2 Likes

From all the testing we’ve been doing I think the key here is that the players need to be in the SAME plane but don’t have the same liveries installed for the stuttering to be triggered.

We spent a few hours circling KLAX and if it was just not having the same livery then I would of had a permanent stutter going on with all the tubeliners flying around in random liveries.

2 Likes

I don’t fly with anyone yet I have multiplayer on and Paris came to a terrible 2 FPS crawl.

Turned off multiplayer and things went back to normal.

Asobo fix this!!!

2 Likes

I don’t have this mod and same issues with multiplayer.

I don’t think it has anything to do with a livery or even a mod. I think something is messed up with network or multiplayer config from latest update.

All I fly is fbw 320 and it has come to a crawl around Paris with MP on. The minute I turned it off, it worked.

1 Like

I am having the same problem and it drives me nuts. I have group flight session every Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and due to this bug, we had to move over to different server to get rid of the stuttering.

But some of the other people around Paris will also be in the same plane type as you but with a livery you do not have - that is why you stutter. If you are loaded with stock MS livery they will not stutter because they will by default have that available to them… That is exactly what happened to me when I arrived in the vicinity of Nice yesterday - as soon as names appeared on screen I stuttered and plenty of those names were tagged A20N so it will happen.

1 Like

Well, it’s exactly what I am saying. You fly around Paris with multiplayer ON. So anyone in your area with a mod can cause your freezes.

Depends what you mean by mod - if you include any non default livery, then yes we are agreed :slight_smile:

I agree! I had the same problem just sitting on the runway getting my A320 prepped for takeoff and it stuttered in Seattle. I would look up at the instrument panel and it would pause for about 1 second everytime I moved from one panel to another. Even pressing a button from off to on it pauses. As soon as I got away from other people and the airport no problem. Then as I landed in Vegas and around others it started up again. I turned off multiplayer and it stopped. Please fix this. :flight_arrival::boom::exploding_head:

3 Likes