[BUG LOGGED] Multiplayer Stuttering after world update - Liveries Bug report

Well, last night we had the issue with one person having a C208 mod. We then tried several things, liveries etc… and it was this 1 mod for the C208 that was causing it

It doesn’t have to be you with the mod just someone in the area. Next time it happens, look around for a flashing name tag and you will likely see one. FBW experimental was smooth and
then it wasn’t at airport then I spotted a flashing name tag.

3 Likes

Fair enough - we narrowed it to liveries but, bottom line is that for many, many people right now multiplayer in any form is largely unusable. It therefore warrants urgent attention, at the minimum a statement from MS/Asobo acknowledging the issue, and preferably a hotfix in the proposed mid cycle update they have mooted.

3 Likes

Oh I fully agree on this one. Asobo should acknowledge this ASAP, because their communication cannot be any worse. And they should fix this with a hotfix ASAP too . I couldn’t agree with you more

2 Likes

We tested with a vanilla C208 and a modded c208 in the same spot, and there were no issues, only when any c208 switched to a livery the others didn’t have. The blinking nametag and invisible plane is basically pointing out the “culprit” on any given location. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We did some tests, too, and it seems it was not related to the number of players, but one player having a livery the others don’t. We switched around planes both modded and unmodded, and it all pointed to the livery. The stutter did not seem to be related to the number of players.

The nametag blinks in sync on everybody else’s screen.
Also, the plane type and altitude is not displayed for any other player unless they are in the same plane. I fired up the game with an empty community folder and I could see NO plane types and altitude indications under any nametag in the vicinity. Lot of generic model replacements as well.

4 Likes

Ok, I am not denying an issue with liveries. We had the issue with a mod. The C206B-mod didn’t cause the issue. But the aircraft-208bx mod did.

well, uh, they sort of acknowledged it…

Sort of… I suspect that section on performance could simply be left in permanently and it would always read correctly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you mean the Performance section then it probably comes to personal interpretation.
I read this as the usual performance issues people have had for months.

They do not talk about this specific issue with multiplayer. In other words, they didn’t acknowledge anything.
But again, this is my personal interpretation.

1 Like

That’s indeed an interesting observation, and well possible: as I wrote, at one point I was flying “stutterfree” and there where still like 15 other players around me (in relatively close vicinity) - that is, the remaining players that hadn’t given up until this point.

And that reminds me: @FootanMouth didn’t you initially have this “It’s a Trap!” livery on your X-Cub? :wink:

Ah! That would answer my other question I had a day ago or so:

During the community flight I was seeing the (most) aircraft types again and thought: “Oh, it does work - maybe last time (“over Paris” :)) every other player was indeed flying custom airplanes that I don’t have then”.

But of course almost everyone was using the same aircraft (an X-Cub) in the community flight yesterday, and now your explanation makes sense!

So for sure the “synchronisation” of player information is at fault here somehow, quite possibly related to custom liveries and aircraft models!

Thanks for sharing your findings!

1 Like

Did anyone try - as a workaround - to enable “Generic Airplanes” for multiplayer aircraft? Would that help?

worth a try. I have it switched off but will try as soon as I get home

And how exactly does that contradict the theory that if someone else is using a livery that you don’t have that this is the (possible) root cause of this “periodically stuttering”? Or asked differently: what makes you think that it is not related to custom liveries?

duck and cover

:wink:

1 Like

and yet I am not convinced this is only related to custom liveries, as we had it with an aircraft mod last night, and not with a custom livery

2 Likes

Here are the steps we took:

• 5-6 players at the same airport

• one had a vanilla Caravan

• two had modded Caravans

• others had different planes (x-cub, helicopter etc.)

• vanilla Caravan loaded in with custom livery
    → stutters for modded caravan without the livery,
    → smooth for modded Caravan who had the livery in their Community folder,
    → smooth for custom plane

• vanilla Caravan with custom livery changed server → stutters gone

• modded Caravan loaded in with custom livery
    → stutters for vanilla caravan without the livery in their Community folder,
    → smooth for modded Caravan who had the livery in their Community folder,
    → smooth for custom plane

• modded Caravan with custom livery switched servers → stutters gone

Oddly enough, while I had the Airbus helicopter, I saw other helicopters as generic, because I didn’t have the livery, but no stutters. The Airbus helicopter must have something different in their config files.

Planes sporting the custom livery were not visible and the nametag kept blinking in sync for all other players.

We are 90% sure that the worst stutter affects the same type of planes (Caravans in this case), while other types (x-cubs in this case) may not experience stutters, or much less stutter than before. If I remember it wrong, please add the missing info, @b3lt3r6709 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK, also very interesting. We had this only with a mod for the C208.
Again, I am not denying anything. It could be liveries as well as mods.
The thing is, Asobo should have enough info to start searching and fix this ASAP.
And they shouldn’t wait for another update. They should put this in a hot fix.

4 Likes

Sorry I was following this yesterday, but instead of turning off multiplayer, have you tried it with the ‘generic planes’ selection in either data or traffic. I remember a thread about this quite awhile back…and that setting both to generic was the fix for it then.

I just gave this a try. @Steeler2340 suggested this further above. I am currently flying out of LFPG without the freezes. All I did was to set OPTIONS → GENERAL → TRAFFIC → USE GENERIC PLANE MODELS (Multiplayer)
So far it seems to work. Still testing however

I am with the ALL_PLAYERS setting on West Europe server

1 Like