[BUG LOGGED] No wind gusts for Live Weather, broken for both PC and Xbox

Coming Soon: Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition - Microsoft Flight Simulator

NEW FEATURES

We are also pleased to introduce several highly requested features by the community: an updated weather system, early access to DX12, and a dev mode replay system.

1 Like

“We are also pleased to introduce several highly requested features by the community: an updated weather system, early access to DX12, and a dev mode replay system.”

The new weather system is on the way.
BTW @Kuang129693 we know they didn’t say they’ll fix it in live weather, but many sim changes aren’t listed and we wanted to be surprised :slight_smile:

1 Like

@sydicek but dont expect anything as posted in the release notes and dont shout about it :wink:

I’m not shouting. I’m merely informing others that it’s not working.

2 Likes

others are shouting.

I’m not shouting either. Just want to show what is missing :slightly_smiling_face: Hope you are right it will be fixed in su7

2 Likes

Oh boy. I can’t even say how disappointed I am. I know it wasn’t mentioned in the release notes but I was nevertheless hoping that the custom weather gust winds would also improve the live weather.

Sure, that sim has many bugs, but nothing is as immersion-breaking as missing gusts in live weather near airports. The planes feel like on rails when landing.

What I don’t understand is that this issue wasn’t there in the beginning. It got broken with an update - something that’s actually suppose to fix things. To make it even less understandable is the lack of acknowledgement/understanding from the devs.

Please Asobo, fix the missing gust winds near airports. Please, give us back realistic variable winds during landings.

7 Likes

It becomes even better. Look at that snow covering not only the land but also the sea itself (!), just because Akureyri/Iceland (BIAR) is reporting snow in the metar…seriously at that point its better not to have any seasons at all, rather that this. It looks very ugly.

The less you set the slider the more you notice the gusts. I think between 1-3 is realistic. Then you need to know that the windspeed is 50% on groundlevel (another issue) if you want 10kts on ground you need to input 20kts and if you want 20kts gusts you need to set that at 40kts. Then when you get off the ground you will have double those values. All those bugs :rofl: I make another windlayer right above groundlayer and set that to the values i want that makes it alittle better.

10kts g20kts

ground = 20kts g40kts
Right above ground = 10kts g20kts

Thank you Asobo for fixing custom weather gusts! The settings just need some improvements and bug fixing now. The live-weather gusts are more important though :clap:

4 Likes

Hmm, I didn’t check live weather but at least for custom weather it works again as far as I can tell.

Maybe it’s not added for live weather due to the upcoming changes.

Only the custom weather is fixed - read the Patchnotes… why some poeple expect more then it was written down into the patchnotes ?

1 Like

It works with unreal weather addon. Not everywhere though only where it is reported gusts on METAR. But it’s something in the meantime we wait for the real fix on 18 November. And it only injects the wind at 50% on groundlevel. It uses the custom weather to inject those gusts and the wind at groundlevel only injects 50% of the input.

1 Like

We like the gusts in the sim thats why we want it all, and we have waited to get it fixed since su4 got it deactivated in both live-weather and custom weather at the same time without letting us know about that. But we are happy that it’s fixed in custom weather and we gladly wait for it to be fixed in live-weather in the next update :slight_smile:

1 Like

The simupdate 6 is a step in the right direction. Finally the wind gusts are back in the custom weather settings. That are great news and I am happy :grinning:

Next, the wind gusts should also be integrated into the live weather and the problem with the half windspeed near the ground should also be resolved.

2 Likes

I agree. It feels so much more dynamic to land now. looking at my landings from ground now after recording them looks so much more realistic when i can actually see the wind grabs the plane sideways in crosswinds. And it’s so much more challenging. Would recomend doing some challenges now when the gusts are back in them. I bet you have a much more challenging experience with them now.

I also noticed that different planes react different on the gusts. I think the flightmodel of some planes react more realistic than others. I think it depends on how much work they have put in those planes. We can feel the difference much more now i think.

Look how realistic it looks with gusts in custom weather. Just made this to show what we have been missing until now. It’s not like flying on rails with them. Over runway we not need to correct the plane to stay on track for centerline in live-weather without gusts. It’s not a challenge there yet. Sorry for the bad landing though. I’m not used to the gusts :rofl:

Thank you for fixing this, i’m so happy right now :slight_smile: Two landings in the same settings in the custom weather is never the same as it should be with varied windspeeds.

1 Like

I actually noticed some differences with live weather too. My plane had much more shaking and sideslipping when taking off. It seems like the live weather is also affected by the update which is good news for me. I am still missing the turbulences during climb and descent though

1 Like

I hope they input the marked rate at this picture from Meteoblue in the next update. Even if it’s not perfect we will get some variation in windspeed everywhere we fly and we can go to current weather page of the destination airport to predict the winds before we land there. It almost matches the METAR anyway. If the wind fluctuate at Arlanda between 13-21kts the avarage windspeed would be around 16kts as the METAR reports.

Here is another example with gusts reported in METAR

I can’t understand why they need both METAR and meteoblue for the winds.

This is a small local airport near where i live that also are almost accurate to the METAR i will not be dissapointed if it’s little more gusts that makes it more challenging to land :slight_smile: It needs to feel more in a sim anyways.

Anyway if it’s decided to have METAR injected at airports it should be injected to be around that windspeed rate that is reported not at that rate all the time. And if the gusts are reported it should fluctuate between the wind and gusts rate.

1 Like

Finally it works just like it did before June. You can increase the gusts and the speed and the graph below the gust settings actually shows something now.

1 Like

For some time now, it has been discussed that the Release Notes (patchnotes) do not list all of the fixes or improvements. Verifiable known fact.

In this case, the “custom weather gust fix” is very closely linked to Live Weather gusts. There was a good possibility (good probability) that Live Weather gusts would get fixed even though it wasn’t called out in the Release Notes. Some of us have been hoping the Live Weather fix would “come along for the ride”. No biggie though.

OVERJOYED to hear that the new weather system is close to materializing. I’m looking forward to that improvement more than any other item (and there are a LOT of great things coming!). For me, weather, wind , gusts, turbulence, up/down drafts, thermals are of utmost importance. Wrapped up together, that is my #1 highest priority :slight_smile:

8 Likes