[BUG LOGGED] No wind gusts for Live Weather, broken for both PC and Xbox

Had live weather over the Isle of Man this morning, a 29kt Northerly with gusts mainly from the West. Once parked up at Ronaldsway I had to chase after my 103 before it got dumped into a very (for the sim) lively Irish sea. My take offs were plum vertical.

I made a landing with custom weather at 33kts gusting 51 crosswind. I wish it where like this in live weather too while landing on those places where those winds are reported then we can fly a route that contains varied weather and winds than put those things in manually all the time. This should be included in live-weather because you have it in custom-weather you know and it was there before su4 got released.

You have awesome stuff like meteoblue and METAR and now the gusts activated again in custom weather. Use those reporting services and inject varied wind speeds all the time.

Fluctuate between those marked here outside of airports or at airports without METAR would be perfect :slight_smile:

And then blend in METARS with fluctuation of wind if those are reported at weatherstations.
Example:

PASN 212100Z AUTO 09036G51KT 1 1/2SM -RA BR SCT008 OVC012 04/03 A2811 RMK AO2 PK WND 09051/2054 P0000 T00440033 TSNO

direction=90degrees Wind=36kts Gusts=51kts

I think it would be good to set the frequency by ourself though. Between 0-18 i think would be good because someone maybe not want them and me myslef thinks it feels unrealistic with 18 gusts per minute. I often set it to only one gust per minute :slight_smile:

Enjoy the bad landing though :rofl:

I put double on ground to get rid of the 50% ground wind bug and the landing was so much fun and challenging. You should try it. If you want my settings copy from the video. It’s real hard to keep the centerline and at the same time hold track of the airspeed. It’s easy to stall when the windspeed drops.

Thank you MS/Asobo for fixing gusts in custom weather! It’s awesome to play around with and it feels realistic and unpredicted to land again while using it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found a video from release where the gusts was in Live-weather as we have described not working. Hard to find proof that they existed but here it is.

There we can absolutely see that those where in live-weather at that point. He flying through Laura and it gets more an more gusts the closer to the eye he gets. This is also over water, there it’s not any mechanical turbulence going on. Only pure gusts that should exists everywhere more or less especially in an hurricane.

3 Likes

Somebody tested if it’s better in SU7 live-weather yet?

Wind gusts are still missing in live weather unfortunately.

That’s simple a HUGE disappointment… I’m out of words, so many posts, votes and still no fix and no communication regarding this fundamental regression bug. It’s an acknowledged bug and we got some positive progress with gusts back in the custom weather. Now it simply feels abandoned … :frowning_face:

I agree, i feel that i can’t describe what is missing more. When is the next big weather update, late next year or early 2023? We should not need to wait that long for a gust fix in live-weather. I was not expecting much of it but i realy thought it was in this update because they said it was a big weather overhaul. For me it feels like a very small weather update compared to all the other things in this update.

1 Like

Seems to be true that wind gusts are indeed still missing. I will need to retest it later once live weather is back online, but from what I’ve seen so far - no wind gusts in live weather. :man_facepalming:

I just updated the title to reflect the current status (focusing on Live Weather specifically).

3 Likes

seems the missing gusts are not the only problems anymore ^^ Atm live weather seems more or less broken. Maybe server, maybe not. We will see it…

Even in custom weather they are ■■■■. I mean the wind/gusts physics.

Everyting will be static now as they choose to use METAR. That is what i thinking about this. We do not have any dynamic weather/winds soon.

Agree, lucky i was not expecting to much this time. I have learned from past updates to not be. It’s getting more worse everytime. Now even the things we see is static like the clouds and the transission is instant not dynamic as before. They said it would be big improvement but i can’t see them.

This is the advertising about weather before the release. Listen to the part they mention about winds. They even say it should include gusts in live-weather!

I think console users also want to have dynamic weather though.

3 Likes

The lack of gusts in live weather really makes flying a bland experience!

5 Likes

I know and they need to get back to the roots with this weather engine. Now they are changing it from dynamic to static. That we had in every other sims.

I’m not sure what’s going on regarding this bug, but I took a biplane out over Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Rainier today, and VERY strong winds and wind gusts were blowing my plane all over the place. The winds over Mt. Adam were nearly as strong as my plane was fast, and the ridge-lift was sending me upward at over 6000 ft/min at times while the leeward down-draft just about smashed me down into the rocks. I then took up a glider over Mt. Adams and had a lot of fun flying around in the ridge-lift.

Imgur

Ridge lift and sink is simulated really well. What you’ve experienced was mechanical turbulence though, not wind gusts.
Although one can definitely put these two close together, like say that mechanical turbulence causes wind gusts, in this thread we are talking about wind gusts missing in live weather when they’re reported in METAR.
Ex.: METAR LKMT 23020G30KT injects only the mean wind speed in the sim, not the 30 knot gust.
It makes flying in gusty conditions like flying on rails. No variability or challenge when landing.

@perrry had some great ideas about injecting wind gusts or general variabilities using Meteoblue. Just because gusts are not always reported in METARs (only when the gusts are 10 knots or more above the mean reported wind speed - generally speaking, some airports report them always.) doesn’t mean they’re not there. The wind can be 23020G29KT and it won’t get reported but the gust is there. In that case the Meteoblue could take over unless the gusts are directly reported in the METAR.

The gusts used to work in live weather. I think they got borked with SU4 and they haven’t worked since. Very sad.

5 Likes

This really needs a fix. Someone should ask in the next Live Q&A.

3 Likes

We’ve been asking for so long now it’s starting to get old and boring.
They fixed the gusts in custom weather yet in live they’re still not working.
We thought they’d get fixed with SU7. You know, when they gloated about a new weather system.
Yet here we are.

3 Likes

The thing I don’t understand is, how are they supposed to generate a suitable gust profile (wind speed and frequency with added random noise)? Does the standard METAR include all the nessesary info or does the sim have to inject some artificial frequency to produce a gust profile? If the latter is the case, then it might not be that easy to produce a realistic or believeable profile, as it might not be possible to infer the correct gust frequency from the METAR, for example.