[BUG LOGGED] Settings do not stick since SU5

That interesting.

Made no difference at all.

3 Likes

I can confirm its true, Just tested
Sim on high-ultra settings

Sim after applying MEDIUM and them ULTRA:

3 Likes

Some posts from a duplicate thread were consolidated here.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris. I saw it too late. Sometimes I’m still a bit confused about the forum structures here. But now they merged it anyway with yours.

2 Likes

There is, no doubt something weird going on. It would seem that sometimes the sim retains the Ultra setting - more often it appears to discard it and replace it with Medium - even though indicating setting is on Ultra.

My experiments applying this on Trees is inconclusive as of yet.

I wonder if we might just be observing LOD Draw errors based on User position in the sim?

To get meaningful data surely this would be reproducible at any airfield - or many, and not just EGNX - which might have errors and erratic LOD draw faults perculiar only to it?

Still, feels good to be trying to do something about the whole thing.

3 Likes

Ok, small update: the setting does not even stick when returning in the main menue. If you start a second flight, again the settings are reduced and you have to run another switch to low and back to ultra. How annyoing is this, seriously?

1 Like

Made no difference at all for me i still see the scenery appearing close to me and i see the blurry textures

Just to add something weird, tried again and somehow, this time i had to switch and apply between the settings multiple times to get all the ultra details. So, the ones who say „doesnt happen“ should really try this more than once.

thats not what was flagged up, go to egnx and test this on runway 27 then you will see if this changes

1 Like

It’s amazing that it wasn’t caught before release. It certainly has caused a lot of discussions here and elsewhere.

3 Likes

Well it is possible it isn’t happening to everyone and some have, in their own word, been to busy flying and wont bother looking at the scenery…anyhow, just wanted to confirm it is the same for me…

1 Like

just like to add this also happens inbetween restarts of flights, you dont even have to go back to the main menu just hit restart and the settings are screwed again

It is not totally obvious, without being pointed to EGNX, I might have missed it for quiet some time, because draw distance, object density and all this stuff does still look like ultra settings. Might be a post processing issue? Because also after switching the image gets much crisper and better coloured, more saturation etc. Strange stuff…

I tried several Airports KJFK,EDDF,KLAX,EGLL,LSZH and EGNX. EGNX is the only airport where my settings are reset. Starting at the other airports my settings stay the same. Starting the first time at EGNX my settings where reset to medium even in the graphics menu, now they are reset but stay on ultra in the menu. Which would point to something specific happening at EGNX and maybe some other places but not everywhere.

4 Likes

Yeah, that was my point in my earlier post - looks like an erroneous LOD Load/ Distance error at EGNX.

I’m sure there’s loads more all over the World but these guys are just focusing too closely on one particular airfield where this particular error occurs.

That’s not to say it’s not astutely observed but I don’t think it’s the “Fix” they think it is.

Shows everyone’s listening though, doesn’t it? - everyone’s up on their hind legs, working together to fix this stuff - which is great!

Eventually, this sim is going to be absolutely magic.

2 Likes

Just guessing here, but could it be that the way the sim loads the LOD when spawning/moving is different than how it loads when changing settings?
I mean these are two different scenarios for the engine and that would explain the difference in these two cases but mean that as soon as you move yourself around, there will be no difference, only shortly after doing the suggested switch.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed! Really tired of all the “fanboi vs haters” that’s going on in some topic´s, don’t get it at all.
As for the “Fix” I too have only encountered this on EGNX…

I think this fixes textures but the LOD pop in is as back as ever. Trying Svalbad (Norway Update airport) flying past the ships. They get the highest detail only when I almost crash into them. Thats on 5K Ultra everything cranked to the max at render scale 100%

2 Likes

My thoughts too, kind of, did try to just down the “terrain level of detail” from 200 to 150 and resumed, at first nothing and then moved around and everything popped in…but couldn’t replicate it again.