I’ve just finished the Balkans bush tour and I’m a little disappointed with both it and the overall bush flying experience. Just wondered if other people had a similar sort of experience?
- No aircraft selection. I started with the Balkan flight because I’m not a big fan of flying the cub, but I can’t see any particular reason why you couldn’t use one of the other propellor type planes.
- It’s advertised as a ‘navigation challenge’, however the route was programmed into the aircraft when I started so I could have just followed the waypoints. I cleared the route and turned off the map on the right, although I couldn’t find a way to get this left hand screen to turn off.
- I found the scenery for this flight was fairly mediocre. It didn’t seem to be taking that much advantage of the new engine unless you like staring at the water (which to be fair is nice to look at!). Everything just seemed a bit like generic coastline, towns and a few relatively small hills.
- All my flights started around 6am. I’m not sure if this is a bug, but unfortunately it meant that the sun in the east, low and behind clouds. Since I was flying south over a west coast it meant all the scenery was on my left into the sun, so as a result of the weather a lot of the view ended up looking washed out.
- I thought bush flying was about landing on small, little known airstrips, but all bar two or three of the ones in this flight were quite long and paved.
Hopefully the other two will provide a slightly better experience!