Bush trip starts at night

I am flying the alaska bush trip and keep running into night flying.

I have had a couple of CTDs during this trip, unsure if that is helping cause the problem? First time “the night” happened was after a CTD, when logging back to fly the leg again it was evening and the navlog was empty, but I went ahead as I already knew the route. Once I reached the destination the sun had already set and it was night (I was actually telling myself what a beautiful sim this was, giving me a sunset and a full moon rise to enjoy! lol). I was able to set it down on the moon lit runway, but when I loaded the next leg it was still dark and the navlog was still empty, blank. To fix I had to go back to the leg where I got the first CTD and refly most of the trip, time and navlog appeared to be fixed. On my last leg flown I landed with full daylight, got my check, and went to the landing challenges where I got another CTD (I fixed my CTD issues by adjusting graphics settings back to the suggested high instead of Ultra). But later when I went back to the Alaska bush trip my next leg loaded in pitch black night time, even though I landed in full overhead sunlight. My navlog is still populated this time though, no problem. In all of these cases, the preflight weather indicator box shows daylight.

I use active pause for selfies, but I do not believe I have let the sim run in pause for any length of time.

Any potential work arounds? I love the bush trips the most so far, but reflying legs that I have already flown multiple times is not an enjoyable experience.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Jeff

Hello,

Starting from the PAOU to PAPE leg, the Alaska bush trip proposes nightly flights on my PC. Also, the NAVLOG is empty.

I managed to complete the first nightly leg (PAOU TO PAPE) flying with the autopilot, but it’s really pitch black in Alaska, so no sighseeing (and no fun) at all. Maybe it’s just a setting and not a bug, but in this case Google has not been my friend in finding a solution.

Ciao to all from Italy.

This isn’t a bug. That’s what happens in winter IRL when you’re up around the Arctic Circle. You’re far north. The sun barely breaks the horizon at noon for for a short period of time. You basically have several months of near total darkness. Try going there at about noon local time and it will look like dawn / dusk.

jup, flying the alaska bush trip in winter probably isn’t the wisest choice… ^^ although it’s not THAT far north actually. Dutch harbour is around the latitude of Hamburg

Looks like that leg didn’t load properly. Try restarting leg. I remember something like this happening if you exit and try starting in the middle of a leg so best to complete whole leg in one shot.

I grew up in the sub-arctic tundra of northern Quebec at 51° N latitude, which is 2° south of Dutch Harbor and Hamburg. We only had full sunlight for about 4-ish hours around mid-day this time of year. The sun didn’t rise very high above the horizon at all. Most of the “daylight” we had was dawn and dusk.

So if the OP runs that bush trip in the 0900-1400 LOCAL time window, then there will be sun light. Otherwise, it’s going to be dark.

As for the nav log not being loaded, yeah, that’s likely a bug.

Arctic Circle is way up around Fairbanks and the Aleutian Islands are far below that. Plus the Bush flights are canned flights with a set date and time and weather and I’m thinking it’s set in the Summer.

well yep, in Hamburg it’s similar, real daylight from 10-14 ish at that time in year.

It sounded to me like you were talking about polar circle situations ^^ pardon

1 Like

I never bothered with the bush trips for the most part. Didn’t know they didn’t operate on real time. Or perhaps they’re not intended to, but do anyway. Remember, this sim is buggier than week old Florida road kill.

Indeed. My point simply was that when you’re that far north, day light is short and if you don’t hit that windows of a few hours around mid-day, it’s going to be night time conditions.

not sure… I tried it in December and it was really midwinter… daylight though

You’re probably right. I took the previous flights of the Alaska trip a couple of days ago, and they were in broad daylight. Also, there’s no way to change the date and hour of the flight.
Maybe there’s a way to check if this is a feature or a bug. Can someone start the Alaska bush trip and verify if it’s day or night?

What’s strange about the Alaska Bush Trip is that some of the airports or rwys don’t exist in real life. I got use to having to use Google Maps for the California/Nevada bush trip because some of the dirt and grass runways were really hard to find, but I could pre-find them in Google Maps. But some of the one in Alaska don’t show up at all (to be fair I’ve only done about half the trip).

Wow. And was it the reserves in the summer? Eternal days?

Pretty much. In mid summer, there was only a couple of hours of complete darkness as the sun would set ridiculously late. Now I don’t know from personal experience what time the sun actually rose at, since it would have been in the 2-3AM time frame and I would be sleeping.

Even where I am now at 44°N, we only get only get a few hours of total darkness in early summer. This I know for a fact since I’m out all nights many nights shooting astrophotography. Total darkness (astronomical twilight to astronomical dawn) is from about 2300 - 0300 from mid-June to mid-July.

Ive just got a similar problem for the first time

I opened up the bush trip around Nevada. Last leg was into Lake Tahoe South Airport.
The Lake Tahoe local real world time is 04:10 hrs and the sim aircraft is in darkness. Not good for a VFR flight!

I’m in Australia and its middle of the day here and I want to fly now, but its night now but all I get is the aircraft and the airfield in darkness .
But I cant change the time in the bush trip. All attempts to change the time in the setup page appear to work till I close the setup page and go back to the bush trip and its back in darkness again.

I can change it to any time I want and it works … if I do a stand alone flight, but as part of the bush trip I cant reset the time to a daylight hour.
I have just done an update (another issue I am really annoyed about - being forced to update taking sometimes for hours with updates that I am never going to use (VR updates, Airliner mods etc) …but that’s another gripe)

Any advice?

Hi All,

I am facing the same night problem, but with the Balkans bush flight. As from leg 5, the trip always starts at 05:00 AM (04:00 UTC).
The only turnaround I found until now is to change the time via the developer option. But then, I lost the record into my logbook!

Any solution is welcome…

Same problem with me. I completed the first leg of that bush trip “Breckenridge to Mariposa Yosemite - Nevada” and each subsequent leg starts in darkness like around 4:10 AM for the 2nd leg, 4:15 AM for the 3rd leg. I then used
ESC
GENERAL
DEVELOPERS - Developer Mode ON
Local time - dragged the slider to 8h for 8:00 AM
APPLY & SAVE
DEVELOPERS - Developer Mode OFF
APPLY & SAVE
ESC
ESC

4 Likes

Since the Leg 2, I have to fly at night. Is it correct or is it a bug? I guess I cannot change the day time of legs in the bush trips.

NB: flying at night would be no problem if I could dim the brightness of LCD displays of XCub. But it is not possible (or it is?) so my night vision is seriously decreased and flying at night with glaring LCDs is not pleasure at all…

Thanks for those tips.

I did it and it now starts in daylight. A major advance!

Trouble is it now has deleted all the route details in the navlog for the legs I have not yet done.
Fortunately I only had three legs left on the Nevada Bush Trip and they were pretty easy to work out from the VFR map. But it does make it more difficult.

But I also started the Balkans and that’s going to be a bit more problematic as I just started and and will have lots of legs with a lot more detail crammed in the legs.

it does keep the completed status for the legs so at least when I take a break I get to restart at the right place.

Anyone got any way of getting the details of the legs to show up in the Navlog?