Buttons/dials unresponsive, still

On the long flight from LFBD to KSEA, and the buttons/dials are now unresponsive half way through this flight. Unable to anything in the 787. Any ideas as to how to recover without starting this 9+hour flight over? This was reported in AUG '20

Try resizing one of the in game windows.

1 Like

@iRoozy I tried that, nada. But thanks for the tip! Finally gave up as auto-pilot was not responsive at all. I opened another ticket with asobo. Looks like someone opened a ticket this past August and Iā€™m ready for a refund!

when it happens to me it is always related to the ATC window try this : The second you lose button or control stick/yoke functionality tap the ā€˜tabā€™ key (or whatever your ATC window is bound to) until you regain functionality. you might have to tap it a few times - but it always works.

NOTE : you wont realize youā€™ve lost joystick / yoke function if you are in AP mode - only if you are hand flying the planeā€¦

1 Like

FWIW I opened a ticket on this very subject NOTING that loss of functionality was TIED to the ATC window, also started a topic on it here. NO one here seems aware of the problem and ASOBO replied in a form style answer ā€œweā€™ve noted and logged your ticket - it might be addressed at some point - consider it closedā€ not exactly in those words but thatā€™s the gist of it.

try tapping your ATC key - open and close the window rapidly until the other knobs and dials respond

1 Like

Does clicking in the middle of the game window with your mouse give you control back?

1 Like

Iā€™ll give that a try, this will be the 4th or 5th time Iā€™ve tried this flight.

Nope. When this happens, I can change air speed and altitude via the key board but it has no affect. I did turn off the co-pilot mange the communications and back on and the button/dial functionality started working again, but the auto pilot would not lock onto the flight path after that so I ended the flight after 5 hours. Wish Asobo would get this fixed!!

so you regained only partial control functionality after using the ATC key? or after mouse clicking on the monitor? Which method worked (partially)?
Even though AP was not restored could you hand fly the plane ?

Tapping the ATC key did allow me to turn the dials but they had no affect. I ended up restarting the flight turning off Co-pilot AI manage the Communications prior to take off and let the flight run over night not answering ATC. This morning, the flight finally succeeded (woke up just in time too!)

ok so that sounds like the ATC failure occurred while the ā€˜co-pilotā€™ AI was handling coms (ATC)
I donā€™t fly airliners much so I have not used that feature - instead the problems I ALWAYS have with loss of functionality mid flight is when I am using ATC. I open the ATC window either to reply to flight following or to contact the destination and either the second the window opens - or - upon closing the window via the ā€˜tabā€™ key, in that same instant my stick becomes ā€˜disconnectedā€™ and mouse clicking or KB (ā€˜Vā€™ key etc) functionality is lostā€¦I then begin to rapidly press the ā€˜tabā€™ key until the ATC window pops open - at that instant all controls are restored - sometimes through the rest of the flight - sometimes there is another ā€˜ATC FREEZEā€™ right away again and I have to repeat the cure.
Iā€™ve had up to 3 instances on a single flight. But full functionality is always restored using the ā€˜tabā€™ key.
Iā€™m wondering if the ATC window pops up even though you have the ā€˜co-pilot handles comsā€™ feature in use? and further wonder whether having the ATC error occur while in that co-pilot mode causes the interruption to continue in the AP functionalityā€¦

When I started that flight, I left the ATC closed and ignored it the rest of the trip, with AI off. Iā€™ve had both ATC and AI active for shorter flights (3-4 hours) with no issues. Iā€™ll try a long one again with ATC open and no AI and see what happens.

I have the exact same issue. I completed a 320 flight today and didnā€™t have this issue, however on my 787 flights Iā€™ve always had this issue. I will try hitting the TAB numerous times and see if it restores functionality. I donā€™t use the built in ATC, but, theyā€™ve forced our hands with the ground equipment via ATC stupidity. Iā€™ll do a flight tomorrow and let you guys know how the TAB ā€œfixā€ worked.

Wonder if this has something to do with key assignments?

I thought that too but I havenā€™t reassigned any KB commands - just the JS
But my thought at first was that it could be the number keys might be conflicting with the numpad number keys. So I tried using the mouse to select responses to ATC instead of pressing the numbers that correspond to the correct pilot responses but it still froze up.
The problem tends to happen more often upon closing the ATC window than opening it or during the interaction with it.

Hi,

Could you please confirm if this is the issue you are experiencing? Mouse Stops Interacting with the Virtual Cockpit

Am I right that youā€™re essentially setting up a flight plan and then letting the computer actually do the whole thing after take off until you take over to do the approach and landing?

Sounds exactly like the life of a real airline pilot, but without the inconvenience of being there.

Seriously though, if youā€™re leaving the computer to its own devices for hours at a time, could it be that one or more USB ports are going to sleep or even the disc drives etc.
Have you checked that all your windows power and performance settings are set to not sleep?

PC does not go to sleep and stays on while FS is running unattended/

I found that the mouse will operate the light brightness for the instruments/cockpit, but for any other controls for AP, flight computer, Baro settings, nothing. One way to get around it is to save the flight and exit, then reload that flight but then, auto pilot wont work correctly such as altitude wont hold, wont follow the flight path and speed will not hold either. mainly noticed this in the 787

Interestingā€¦

I was hoping this was the same bug as the one outlined above, but it may be different. Let me know if you agree with that assessment.

I believe itā€™s different, an example would be I could not change the altitude with the mouse, the dial would not turn, but I could change the altitude via the keyboard, but AP would not respond. I did open a ticket with ZENDESK on this.