Bye Bye IFR in MSFS?

So, I’m confused. IFR is unusable because you don’t like the ground resolution in the high flight levels? The whole purpose of IFR is to be able to get from point A to point B without any reference to the ground.

12 Likes

I’ve been at the flight levels in real life and things look pretty washed out on anything but the clearest of air days. I can recognize city’s and lakes at times, but most of the terrain isn’t much to look at from 6 miles up.

Maybe the cockpit glass is better for viewing through than the passenger glass in coach :wink:

As long as the night lighting matches the sectionals I’ll still be able to do a night VFR flight at 6,500’W/7,500’E. Too low and it’s hard to tell too high and I start to sleep from lack of oxygen :rofl:

3 Likes

I still have not flown in SU5 :slightly_frowning_face:

Maybe I’ll have time on Saturday.

I hope that it’s a server issue that will smooth out over time. The ground scenery is really pathetic-looking now!

1 Like

I mean… Literally all commercial flight is always IFR, so should we only fly airliners blind?

There is LOD for terrain, and LOD for object. The terrain LOD affect the clarity or blur of the terrain, especially from higher altitude since it works on range distance vertical or horizontal, this have been reduced since release a bit, now SU5 more regardless optimized server\speed of internet or not.

They need to add adaptive terrain LOD from higher altitude above 10k and lower altitude.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying you should fly them blind. My point was that the ground resolution doesn’t make IFR unusable.

5 Likes

That is correct, but because of the original good representations of the earth, I fly in MSFS. Not any more, until this is eliminated. Every other sim can do that better at altitude and the handling anyway.

For me, it’s better than p3d by far. Just my .02 (default textures anyways)

1 Like

Well that might actually be a thing, except that there might be a little bit more complexity behind the scenes.
I’m thinking of caching of the CDNs which, in a case like this, while I don’t know for sure, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Ok but having these awful blurry textures isn’t really immersive, that’s the point of a SIM, you want maximum IMMERSION, those blurry textures are disgusting

2 Likes

That’s exactly how it looks like!

The P3D is a vintage flight simulator with a very outdated code base. In fact, the P3D is dead - no developer will develop anything for a dead flight simulator for a moment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And precisely because of the low hardware requirements, the MSFS will attract many new flight simulator enthusiasts and with the X-Box version of the MSFS there will be a lot more newcomers to our community.

The future belongs to MSFS! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not crystal clear, but not as bad as what others have posted. Must be something in the setting. This is over KMCO at FL340. I think MS is also compressing the photos. It looks better on my end. This is at LOD 100 for both terrain and objects. Second photos at LOD 200 and looks pretty much the same. Third photo is back to LOD 100 and Depth of Field to high and also looks pretty much the same.

3 Likes

I remember ground textures on the US west coast routes from FL300-FL430 being just really really bad before (as in, since November 2020 when I started playing the sim on my upgraded computer)… Didn’t notice it being particularly worse at FL270 in testing yesterday.

(On the other hand AI ATC doens’t work for me for IFR flights, which is why I checked this thread in the first place.)

This is how mine looks. To me, that’s good enough.

1 Like

Off-topic I know but the second screenshot is Brussels and not Zurich.

1 Like

It’s very obvious that the panel top left has not finished loading yet as it looks nothing like the others.

Nope. Just nope… I can’t take this and the continuous graphics degradation

Dont get confused with IMC and IFR…totally two different things

1 Like

Well i do not have same problem. It may be either my custom LOD or you guys have something going on.

Screenshots below 2K resolution, everything ultra + LOD settings are 5 (200% gives you 2). Texture is 6x6.

EDIT: btw, it looks better in game, probably quality reduced since i took SS with Win+Prnt Scr

FL300 NY