C152X Realism Mod

C152 Realism Mod

Some of the current improvements (not exhaustive):

• Modified stall speeds flap up/flap down in accordance with published information. Aircraft will now stall at a significantly higher speed.
  • Numerous changes to engine performance, now in accordance with Lycoming O-235L2C (115HP, 2700RPM) See note below.
  • Fuel consumption adjusted.
  • Long Range Fuel Tanks 37.5USG total useable. See note below.
  • Fuel Gauges correctly calibrated.
  • Fuel Gauge indications will vary realistically in out of balance flight (depending on quantity of fuel in tank) and also on the ground when the aircraft is not wings level.
  • Flight tested to verify climb, cruise, service ceiling, fuel consumption etc in accordance with published information.
  • Oil Temperature Gauge - gauge calibration and oil temperature modelling adjusted.
  • Oil Pressure Gauge - gauge calibration and oil pressure modelling adjusted.
  • Electrical system - completely remodelled, using documented electrical loads etc.
  • Now models realistic battery discharge/charge and subsequent electrical system behaviour.
  • If battery goes flat, various systems will fail at various voltage levels as the battery discharges.
  • Ammeter - gauge calibration and behaviour.
  • Low voltage light now comes on below ~ 1000 RPM as in real life.
  • OAT thermometer now operates regardless of the position of the master switch.
  • The overhead (Dome) light can now be dimmed by the dimmer knob below the pilot control yoke.
  • The NAV CDI gauges completely revised:
  • CDI gauges now respond correctly to: User selected On/Off state of corresponding NAV/COM Radio.
  • CDI gauges now respond correctly to: Power state of corresponding NAV/COM Radio.
  • CDI gauges now power off when Avionics Power (Battery Master Switch) switched off.
  • CDI gauges now power off when the applicable NAV/COM Radio is turned off using the Volume/Off knob.
  • CDI gauges now power off if the battery discharges and the voltage level supplied to the applicable NAV/COM radio drops below the minimum required for operation.
  • CDI gauges, Glideslope/Localiser Needle behaviour adjusted.
  • CDI gauges, Glideslope/Localiser Flag behaviour adjusted.
  • CDI gauges, NAV Flag behaviour adjusted.
  • ADF Radio completely revised Knob behaviour. ADF Modes: BFO/REC/ADF and spring return TEST position.
  • ADF Rotatable Card gauge behaviour completely revised:
  • ADF Needle is driven to point to the selected NDB station only in ADF Mode. (Note that currently the ADF Mode Knob defaults to BFO Mode and must be manually rotated to ADF Mode.)
  • ADF Needle remains in current position in ADF Mode when no signal received from an NDB on the currently selected frequency.
  • ADF Needle remains in current position in BFO and REC Modes.
  • ADF Needle is slewed in a clockwise direction while ADF Mode Knob held in TEST position. When released, the ADF Mode Knob spring returns to ADF Mode.
  • ADF Needle remains in current position when ADF Radio is turned off using the Volume/Off knob.
  • ADF Needle remains in current position if battery discharges and voltage level to the radio drops below the minimum required for operation.

Notes:

• The default aircraft panel has a Tachometer with a 2700RPM redline. As a result I have taken the decision to model the C152 with the corresponding and slightly uprated 115HP engine. (It is essentially the same engine as the ā€˜standardā€™ C152 Lycoming engine with 110HP/2550RPM redline, with a few extra horsepower gained from the additional RPM. The standard performance charts eg cruise power settings etc will still be valid. The extra horsepower means slightly better takeoff and go-around performance and a slightly higher service ceiling. The current version tested in the sim has a service ceiling around 15,500ft.)
  • The default aircraft panel depicted fuel gauges for Long Range Tanks (37.5USG) but the sim data was for Short Range Tanks (24.5USG useable). Again I have taken the decision to model the Long Range Tanks. This now gives the aircraft a nearly 9 hour endurance and a range of up to 670 nm. This makes the aircraft much more capable of long range flights in the sim, and I think much more useful. (Round the world type flight capability. :))
  • I have not tested this Mod in any of the activities, lessons etc that may utilise the default aircraft. I canā€™t guarantee that it will not cause issues in some of these situations. Use at your own risk. :slight_smile:
115 Likes

Looks good, thanks for the share!

Also, lol at: ā€œUse at your own riskā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great stuff!

All this (especially the tachometer and fuel gauges) begs the questionā€¦what in the world did Asobo model the default 152 after? Apparently not your standard factory issue 152ā€¦

11 Likes

I have flown both the standard and also variants with long range tanks and uprated engines. Actually I think it is lucky in a way. I would prefer to have these options in the sim. But I do wonderā€¦

Fantastic, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this, really good!

1 Like

Awesome, Thanks :small_airplane:

1 Like

Does this update address ā€œcoasting to a stop when the throttle is closedā€? Thanks!

1 Like

Tyvm for this :slight_smile: awesome

Thanks DRF30q, Iā€™ll take a look later.

Iā€™m sure someone asked this before elsewhere, but is it possible to have modified aircraft appear as additional aircraft? Perhaps manually duplicating the existing one, with a folder of a different name, and having the mod reference the aircraft copy, and not the original?

2 Likes

The avionics and adf panel do not seem to come on when the battery switch is turned on as it does with the default. Has this been changed? Thanks.

Thank you very much Captain! Fully appreciated! :airplane: :+1:t2:

1 Like

I will investigate. To assist, is anyone not having this problem??

2 Likes

Works great on my side!

Thanks. If it helps at all, I have no other mods installed. I also have MSFS on a separate ssd with the mod path F:/MSFS/Community. It seems the other changes work (ie ammeter light below 1000 rpm and dimmable overhead lighting). The swap frequency buttons light up as well, but no frequency display digits.

Yes, Iā€™m having the same problem, when cold starting.

Whatā€™s the best way to raise this type of bugs? here on the forum or an issue in Github?

Cheers

1 Like

Yes that was a good clue. If I ctrl-e to start, the avionics turn on - I just tested. However, since I normally cold start manually, the avionics do not switch on.

Thanks for the reports, there is a new version available. Hopefully addresses the avionics power issue.

7 Likes

You are doing Godā€™s work brother! Thank you

1 Like

Awesome work! Thanks so much! Canā€™t wait to play around with this

1 Like