C152X Realism Mod

Yeah I thought that may have been the case.

Then we could update the reversed texture issues too!

I also put in a ticket a long time ago to fix the right aileron animation, which is hinged at the bottom rather than the top as it should be…

I’d love to see some pants on the thing obviously too.

1 Like

Had a look on the net for a C152 with wheel spats/fairing/pants. Looks a bit “overdressed” to me :grin: Just joking here now … Would be nice to have a “properly dressed” C152 in the hangar.

My ammeter goes to discharge when the Alternator switch is in ON position. Should be charging. Any thoughts?

Dumb question, but the engine is running? If so, do you have other things that are generating a net drain, such as lights, fuel pump left on etc.

If the alternator switch is on & even if the engine is running at idle the light will be illuminated, Rev up to over 1000rpm and it should go out!
When idling you’ll be using more electric than it’s generating!

2 Likes

No this is happening ALL the time after starting the engine. Is not the light it is the analog gauge on the C152 dash to the far right as a student RL pilot I can attest that this is not normal. I train in a C152 with the same setup. Think this definitely a bug. If you flip the switch off in the sim it shows charging and on it shows discharging. Definitely reversed.

1 Like

I will investigate - although mine appears to be normal, although I have modified the Battery Charging so it depends which mod you are using, if you are using JPLogistics MSFS_C152 then with 90% confidence I can say the gauge works normally

2 Likes

Tnx. I will look at this.

Engine running with low amp load

I LOVE the old ADF receiver … They still work well !!!

My only complaint, is that when I tune to 1090 in the Baltimore area, I cannot hear WBAL AM 1090 !!!

With Streaming Internet Radio, that would be a COOL addon for MSFS … ADF Radio stations !! Got to get my daily dose of Rush Limbaugh & Glen Beck? – NOT !@!

2 Likes

Has me confused as well, even after reading the C172 POH.

One moment it makes sense, the next it seems backwards.

There seem to be two “schools of thought” here regarding landings:

The traditional way (if I remember it right) is to approach at 65kias, pull power back to idle when you have the runway made, cross the threshold at ~55kias and gradually pull the wheel almost all the way back during the flare, so you will bleed off any excess airspeed. That comes with the familiar whineee-eee-ee–e-ee-eeeeechirp of the stall horn and wheels touching down.

The newer trend seems to be coming from commercial pilot training. where you focus more on the precise touchdown, and land more like the short field method: Trim to 54 knots and control descent rate with power. So you keep some power until the flare to maintain a low enough descent rate. This automatically gives you a “main wheels touch first” attitude, and avoids excess airspeed on touchdown.

Both work.

The nose-high-power-on-landing works also for larger planes where you cannot just pull power to idle on final. You can try this with the Bonanza for example: it will sink a lot more than the 152 if you pull power to idle with gear and flaps down.

The “pulled back landing” method also works for the 172 and maybe other piston Cessnas, but there is a common pitfall: if you come in too fast, you will have a more flat attitude and will touch down with all three wheels (or even just the nosegear) and you will bounce.

At this point it is very easy to instinctively ease the back pressure on the wheel (since you are bouncing up, but you should be going down!) but you will hit the nosewheel first even more, and it results in ever increasing bounces, until the nosewheel collapses, If you don’t stop it. This is pretty good example what 5 knots too fast does (this is a 172 so adding 5kias to all speeds is roughly right):

You need to increse the back pressure on the wheel to keep the nose up, and then maybe add a small nudge of power to slow down the descent rate if the bounce was higher (or just go around if things are not working out). But back pressure will bleed down speed, and stop the bounces. The main gear is built to handle the touchdown impact, the nose gear not so much.

Kudos for the pilot for sharing, very good example.

3 Likes

I bet that could be programmed in! :thinking:

Have some lines where you tune your frequency and it loads the audio stream from an online radio station… Or something prerecorded, or an MP3 playlist…

Here’s an example of a well dressed C152. Need those pants!

WIP, just gotta get past my IRL sim first. Going to upgrade the textures to 4k or 8k and sharpen it all up a lot… And those bloody reversed textures are getting in the way like the 747…

Anyone figured out how to change the font yet? Need Arial Rounded.

1 Like

Sounds like a perfect add-on, maybe with python-simconnect? https://pypi.org/project/SimConnect/

Poll the audio panel for ADF audio and if it is turned on, check the frequency from a list of AM stations, and start a stream in the background?

Sadly those are getting scarce in many parts of the world.

2 Likes

I’d go with no registration variant of this also, even though it would be less realistic for your actual plane, it would make the repaint more useful for others.

Great Video … the only thing that would make it better as an in instructional / demo video, would be for the camera to be at the same eye level height as the pilots eyes.
This would give a much better demonstration of what it looks like from the Pilots viewpoint in the flare,

Even easier to do with nobody in the right seat !!

2 Likes

Looking nice, I’m not brave enough to design my own scheme and make use of the default decals.

Finally finished my livery this weekend, pretty happy with it. I would love to know how to customize the registration though so it still works by setting it in-game.

A sporty 152. Of all the games I’ve done liveries in, these have to be the worst texture files I’ve ever dealt with. Trying to paint the landing gear components without painting things like the front strut and the brakes nearly gave me an aneurysm.

We found an incompatible mod, please remove “Uwa Lighting Mod” for the C152 as it’s installed by default on the MSFS_C152 mod, this has caused multiple issues!
Remove that and they should all work normally!

1 Like

Something the Sim is not able to replicate is the sinking feeling in the seat of your pants when you hit the sweet spot on approach. Attitude level and slow to 54kts (this speed varies with weight). When you get to the correct speed with a level attitude you can feel the plane sink down.

Hold that to the threshold and once in ground effect as the plane slows and continues to sink pull back slightly to hold the nose off the ground/plane off the ground until the stall horn is heard. Then just hold that attitude until the mains touch and let the nose down slowly. Keep pulling the yoke back until you have slowed to taxi speed with brakes as necessary.

1 Like