C152X Realism Mod

Thanks for the reply, down to 20 knots, no horn but I will investigate further tonight and check the aircraft is actually stalling, should get the horn on the landing flare but never have

Just a correction, you should NEVER hear the warning horn, not even on the flare!
I get a warning horn below 45 with full flaps?

I would disagree with that.

A landing is basically an intentional stall. So you may hear it upon landing just before you touchdown, especially if you are practicing slow speed short field landings.

Granted, you donā€™t want to hear it with your wheels above a foot off the ground.

And, yeah, normally youā€™re not going to hear it as itā€™s probably best to keep a little extra speed going, best not to tempt fate. But, if youā€™re floating down the runway, you may end up hearing it.

Also, you will not hear it when you are ON the ground.

Even doing slow approaches, you should be above 40knts anyway, the stall speed of a Cessna 152 with full flaps is 35knts - so should not be below thisā€¦?
The recommended landing speed is 50knots, thatā€™s even taking into account Short Airstrips, so, you shouldnā€™t be below this, ideally!

I would be extremely unsettled if my British Airways pilots stalled on a flare, plus that landing rate would be very high!

Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve seen videos of some tail draggers where the stall horn will go off on the ground, and there is even a way of silencing that alarm. I donā€™t remember the aircraft, maybe the Porter?

1 Like

Oh, I thought we were talking about the C-152 here?
Is British Airways flying the C-152 these days? :wink:

I have stall horned on landing before in a C-152, hanging that flare just above the runway the right over the stripes and turning off the first taxiway. How short can I make this landingā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahaha - It was just an example, a stall is a stall!
And Yeah hanging the flare will cause the alarm to go off as youā€™re scrubbing all your speed!
Iā€™ve just done a test flight, approaching at 40 knots, full flaps ā€¦ jeez, that is touchy on the controls! On flaring the alarm did trigger @ 35knots, and a slightly heavy landing followed!
Think i will be sticking to my 50knots minimum! haha!

Iā€™m also training for my real world PPL, Iā€™ll ask my instructor next session but iā€™ve never had a stall horn on landing before!

1 Like

I learned how to fly in the C152 about 20 years ago. I certainly would hear the stall horn on landing from time to time. I actually used to listen for it right before touchdown as an indication of a good soft landing.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll be greasing your landings soon enough :blush:

Thereā€™s a small ā€œmountainā€ near Nashuaā€¦ We used to go up on a windy day, fly up near the peak (safely close), turn into the wind and hang there and wave to people on top of the mountain :slight_smile:

(There used to be a hotel on top of the mountain many, many years ago, it burned down and burned off all the trees on top of the mountain along with it. The soil eroded away, and, wala, even though itā€™s only 3,500 feet tall, itā€™s got a tree line with great views from the top. I think one of the most climbed mountains in the country because you can go bottom to top in about 45 minutes or so (Mt Monadnock) )

If you have time to kill, you should watch the videos of a bush pilot called BackCountry182 on Youtube. He flies his Cessna 182 to the worst landing strips of the planet and I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen him landing once without the stall alarm yelling (though I think his 182 has had some modifications for STOL, so he probably has a fair bit of margin when the stall sound starts).

1 Like

Exactly ā€¦ ( assuming no crosswind !!! )

2 Likes

Well, ya knowā€¦ good stiff cross-wind and a C152ā€¦ sometimes :roll_eyes: :flushed:

:slightly_smiling_face:

Re: Stall Horn

I think the stall / stall horn should not be tied to the IAS alone, because itā€™s a function of AoA as wellā€¦

afaik, it should activate 5-10 knots above stalling speed

I have no idea how the simulator ā€œsimulatesā€ the creation of low air pressure in the leading edge of the wing and around the hole leading to the stall horn reed

1 Like

The stall horn certainly does go off during a landing at the correct speed.

And definitely during manoeuvres if can go off as well, especially stalls (obviously) and aerobatics.

Stall horn is only tied to angle of attack. Airspeed has nothing to do with it. Iā€™ve had the stall horn going off on the real one at 110ktsā€¦

2 Likes

Also, not sure how to contact the mod team here, the trim wheel should rotate much more than it does.

Flying at 2300RPM and reducing to 1500RPM, to maintain attitude needs 3x top to bottom spins of the trim wheel. By default it moves about an inch or two for the same effect.

Ahh okay! You learn every day!

And interesting about the Trim Wheel, I wonder if itā€™s because spinning it that much with a mouse wheel is too long so they compromisedā€¦

We can certainly look at decreasing its incremental/decremental values to make it spin more but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s going to cause more problems with newer [sim] pilots

@Picka5string

Just as a side noteā€¦very few 152ā€™s ever have wheel fairings. The handful that are privately owned have a chance of having fairings, but most are flight school work horses, and never have them, since they replace main gear tires a lot.

Reply to an old comment here but one I was thinking of doing something about. Others will have better skills than me though.

I have over 1000 hours on the C152 (not a good thing really :rofl:) in different parts of Australia, but almost every single one of them has had wheel pants on. There has to be at least 20 different C152s Iā€™ve flown. In fact, in my experience at least, only the C150s didnā€™t seem to have them.

Is this as simple as modelling the pants and adding them to the model with textures?

Dunno. The CJ4 mod guys have made comments in their videos about inaccuracies with the CJ4 model, but that there is nothing they can do about it, because the models are locked. :man_shrugging:

Then again someone made a Carbon Cub out of the Savage Cub, and mentioned moving the wheels forwardā€¦ :man_shrugging:

Most default models are locked yes, at present it seems like you could modify things but the tool you use to do it is still being developed!
It seems to mess with other things like animations too but that might be my doing as I have only played with it a little!
We have a couple of things we want to add/change to the C152, which we will do in time!
We will take a look soon!

1 Like