C152X Realism Mod

You can make checklists as long as you like. But if they have to be interactive (copilot support and highlighting), it’s a lot of work.
If you need help, there’s someone over in the G36 improvement project that started this based on POH checklists and might have some experience:

1 Like

Just trying to understand a bit more about the problems that some users have been reporting with the Honeycomb yoke and the mod. I don’t have one.

With the hardware that I have I am able to configure various buttons to sim functions and they seem to work as expected. However, with the configuration that I have, the ‘normal’ situation is - no buttons pressed. I have programmed for example a centre-off up/down switch for the Magnetos. eg Down is Decrease, Up is Increase etc and I can also hold the button down. This allows movement to the START position and I can hold the button down and it stays in this position. Because the normal situation is ‘no buttons pressed’, the controls remain fully functional with the mouse.

I assume that the Honeycomb yoke has discrete positions for the Magnetos etc - OFF, L, R, Start? I am guessing that these are likely programmed to specific Magneto/Starter positions, rather than relative increase/decrease commands? The question is - does this yoke effectively generate continuous button presses or just momentary when the switch is moved.

The observation that the mouse may not work on the Magneto controls with the Yoke connected, suggests that there are continuous inputs coming from the Yoke that are overriding the attempt to change the control with the mouse. On the other hand, from what is described, the Starter function on the Honeycomb Yoke seems to not remain ‘Held’ when it is switched to this position.

With the default aircraft the starter would remain engaged for an unrealistic time and the aircraft would always start with just a momentary use of the starter. The mod altered that and now the hardware input needs to be held for sufficient time for the engine to start. Releasing the starter too soon and the engine will not start.

Perhaps the Yoke hardware was designed and tested with a momentary input because that always worked previously in the sim?

Maybe someone who has the yoke can test and see. Maybe it is possible to see in Windows what inputs are coming from the unit.

I don’t know if the behaviour can be changed with the Yoke or configured with the simulator, but would be useful to understand. I am not sure if is possible, but it would be nice if a solution can be found that will work with all hardware options, hopefully without compromising the realism improvements.

Hi mate, this issue is not unique to Honeycomb users - I see it too using a Warthog combined with FSSBR3W force mod, Cougar throttle combined with TUSBA R2. For me, I can enter the cockpit and command 1 degree increment/decrement with a mouse click or scroll wheel, do absolutely nothing for a minute with the controls (other than look around with TIR5) then all I can do is 10 degree increment/decrement. Here’s the kicker though… if I disconnect both entirely from the PC, it still happens…!

At some point I will look again at some of the aerodynamic things. Have not looked at this in detail, but possibly reducing the elevator effectiveness in this way may seriously affect the stall/spin behaviour etc. Have to be very careful when changing things to test that it doesn’t stuff up other things that already work ok. There are probably always going to be compromises. That being accepted, I am trying to make the compromises in hopefully the least noticeable areas. Sometimes an unlikely, unusual or less important situation may not be quite right, in order to get the majority of the stuff acceptable.

2 Likes

Ye you are absolutely right, just tried 0.5 effectiveness, it was better on the ground after landing (could not keep the nose up) , but also messed up things like power on stalls and stuff ( also was not able to hold the nose up ofc).
The best thing would be to just adjust the very slow speed (below 40 knots) parameters of the elevator, but I don’t really know the parameters for the tables. Hope they explain it properly in the sdk in the future.

I can send you a picture of the Cessna 152 checklist I use in real life if you’d like.

New update V0.15 available:

• ADF Radio completely revised Knob behaviour. ADF Modes: BFO/REC/ADF and spring return TEST position.
  • ADF Rotatable Card gauge behaviour completely revised:
  • ADF Needle is driven to point to the selected NDB station only in ADF Mode. (Note that currently the ADF Mode Knob defaults to BFO Mode and must be manually rotated to ADF Mode.)
  • ADF Needle remains in current position in ADF Mode when no signal received from an NDB on the currently selected frequency.
  • ADF Needle remains in current position in BFO and REC Modes.
  • ADF Needle is slewed in a clockwise direction while ADF Mode Knob held in TEST position. When released, the ADF Mode Knob spring returns to ADF Mode.
  • ADF Needle remains in current position when ADF Radio is turned off using the Volume/Off knob.
  • ADF Needle remains in current position if battery discharges and voltage level to the radio drops below the minimum required for operation.

Internal naming of the Mod aircraft is reverted back to the default. The Flight Training lessons are now selectable again. Haven’t tested them, but hope they work ok now.

9 Likes

Thanks alot. I go and try version 0.15.
and there are 85 versions until version 1.0?
</Joke on>

I’ve been trying some stalls and stuff, and I’m just wondering about power off stalls.

If I cut power, the plane is VERY reluctant to stalls. I can keep the nose up and the plane will fall like a rock, but won’t drop a wing or the nose. With a little bit of power on the stalls are more intuitive.

Is the power off stall behaviour correct?

Maybe it depends on your AOA. I’ve found that with power off, and nose up maybe 70-80 degrees, the nose will lower straight down.

The same thing with power on will lead to one wing or the other dipping down.

Whoa…nose up 70 degrees in a 152? Definitely a brown spot left on the seat after that. Power off stall, if done right, occurs at bout 12 degrees nose up, starting from straight and level flight.

2 Likes

From what I’ve learned, a stall is not necessarily accompanied by a wing or nose drop.
It seems that it’s absolutely possible to stall an aircraft without losing control, while descending with a nose high attitude. If somebody knows more about it, please chime in. Definitely not an expert.

I have flown different C152 aircraft that had quite different stall characteristics. Slightly different weight distribution, control rigging etc Some had much more of a tendency to wing drop at the stall others tended towards mushy stalls without too much wing drop. Having said that, even the docile ones would eventually react dramatically if provoked far enough.

I have done some experimentation, and hopefully will be able to eventually make some more adjustments to the aerodynamic characteristics etc to improve the stall etc without compromising anything else too much.

3 Likes
Samenvatting

When you receive this message it won’t receive and change the squawk-code. C152 non-modded it does automatically.

Also I do not receive Atis information, but could be an airport-issue.

I’ll have to retest that. When ever I’ve tried much shallower stalls, the nose just drops down, and I don’t see the wing drop as I have seen in real life videos, acting more like a power off stall.

1 Like

Correct. You can “stall” the wing at any attitude, and any airspeed, given the right conditions. Traditionally though, when people reference the “power off stall” or “power on stall”, they are talking about the reference maneuver that’s used to grade proficiency, usually for a pilot certificate issuance.

3 Likes

But even during these reference maneuvers, it seems to me from everything I’ve heard and read, that a nose or wing drop may and not necessarily does occur. That’s what I’ve referred to. Wing and nose drop may occur, but doesn’t need to occur.

The author I was replying to said:

The plane is stalling, when it falls like rock. Nose and wing drop may be experienced, but not necessarily though.

Maybe I’m wrong. As said, no expert.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ll watch some videos on the 152 and see what geneally happens in real life.

Current C152X transponder works fine here. Your note about ATIS is interesting though, I noticed it too but never occurred to me it could be a mod issue.

I haven’t had ATIS in any plane, even default ones. Just figured it wasn’t working for voice. I get the scrolling line of text.