C182RG II Improvement Project

This is a mod to improve the excellent Carenado C182RG II.

Current features

• state saving
    • fuel levels
    • battery/alternator/avionics/pitot heat switches
    • light switches
    • cowl flaps
    • heading bug
    • elevator and rudder trim
    • altimeter setting
    • transponder mode and code
    • flap handle position
    • flaps position
    • pilot, copilot and baggage doors
    • pilot and copilot windows
    • static elements (e.g. rain cover)
    • payload weights (pilot, copilot, passengers and baggage)

Where can I download it?
Either from flightsim.to (https://flightsim.to/file/57009/c182rg-improvement-project) or directly from GitHub (Release 1.0.0 Ā· AlexChesters/c182rg-improvement-project Ā· GitHub)

I have a question/some feedback/a bug
Please drop a comment on this post, or raise an issue on GitHub - Sign in to GitHub Ā· GitHub

Donations
Donations are incredibly appreciated but not necessary. If you would like to leave a donation to support this project you can do so by visiting https://www.buymeacoffee.com/alexchesters.

1 Like

Is it feasible to have a version with landing gear removed and floats bolted on instead? I recognize thatā€™s a lot of work but Iā€™m curious if the model file is too locked up to even allow that.

Is it even an ā€˜RGā€™ at that point?

1 Like

Yes, I thought that too. I suspect thatā€™d just be a 182! Seems like itā€™d make more sense to convert the 182 we already had.

Thatā€™s quite a bit more work than editing some config files; youā€™d have to get into 3D modeling and texturing.

1 Like

Oh yeah no doubt, I was thinking back to the early default 172 float mod that came before the official version. Thatā€™s why I wondered about the files being encrypted because youā€™d need to get in and graft the floats onto this fuselage. Even if the retractable gear could be disabled.

I thought about the fixed gear 182 but this one is so much better and has a steam panel.

In any case Iā€™m super grateful people are adding depth, itā€™s a great module!

An update for this aircraft is coming from Carenado for the week of July 3rd (likely around the 3rd or 4th). Just a heads up.

5 Likes

Thank you! Excited to see what comes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s in theory feasible, but itā€™s a very large amount of work and to be honest itā€™s very unlikely Iā€™ll get too it at any point (not least because 3D modelling and texturing is not my area of expertise!)

1 Like

It would be an FF I think.

I reported a couple of issues to them, and hoping to see at least one of them in there.

Nose gear suspension too soft.
Erratic trim wheel animation when holding up/down.

Many thanks for the work, it is already very valuable if the tank filling is always saved. It would be nice if you could also save the tank selector switch.

Unfortunately, I donā€™t understand why ā€œstate savingā€ hasnā€™t been standard on all aircraft for a long time. Asobo should have realised long ago that customers want this.

:+1: :beers:

1 Like

Very happy to see more improvement mods for Carenado aircraft. Will be watching this with interest - if more realism features are added it might compel me to purchase this plane eventually.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback! Storing the position of the fuel tank selector switch is on my list of features Iā€™d like to implement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this mod! I feel the beginning of something great :pray:t2::grin:
Could you add the static elements, rain cover and GPU to the saving as well?
I have added them to my apron.flt as I like the 182 to spawn all packed upā€¦ but would be even better if they were state saved :+1:t2:

1 Like

Great idea! If possible would you be able to drop your apron.flt here or DM it?

It would be useful when it comes to this feature :slight_smile:

Mod Edit: Removed personal e-mail address. Do not post personal information in the forums, this is for your own PERSEC (Personal Security) as well as against the forum rules. Thank you.

@ShermheadRy

This is what I added to my apron.flt:

[LocalVars.0]
TABLET_BTN_STATIC_ELEMENT=1
TABLET_BTN_EXT_PWR=1

The 182 then spawns with the static elements, rain cover and GPU.
I found the variables by switching them on in the tablet and then saving a game and then comparing the save.flt to the original apron.flt.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got the static elements working on my latest version (hoping this will be released next week).

Iā€™ve had a look at implementing remembering the choice of GPS but I donā€™t think this will be possible sadly; Iā€™m not entirely sure why but once you begin using the TDS GTN750 in the 182 RG II it doesnā€™t allow you to switch to any other GPS unit without restarting the flight. Therefore if you switched to the TDS GTN750 and that choice was always remembered, there would be no way to choose any other GPS unit.

1 Like

Sounds greatā€¦ will test it when itā€™s there.
On the the GPS, I never understood the choices on the tablet.
I think you are right that you canā€™t unselect the TDSā€¦

Version 0.5.0 of this mod is now available :tada:

• ensure AP panel does not illuminate without electrical power
  • persist flap position (in addition to existing persistance of flap handle state)
  • persist state of pilot door, copilot door and baggage door
  • persist state of pilot window and copilot window
  • persist use of static elements
2 Likes