Camera Zoom, Cockpit Zoom, Multi-Monitor Help

I’m seeing some odd behaviour when trying to setup the cockpit view in my multi-monitor setup, I also need some advice re zoom levels…

When setting the default VFR cockpit view, I have this set to Ctrl-F10 and nothing else uses that combo.

I set the view exactly how i think i want it, press ctrl-f10 and it zooms in before saving the setting? Really annoying and I can’t see why issuing a save command would alter a setting first - anyone else seen this??

I am also trying to find out how you set a desired FOV - In Russ Barlow’s excellent videos he calculates that for my 60deg FOV (set by monitor size & position, head position) I should have my main zoom at 67% - set in general settings/camera.

But when you go into cockpit, there are more layers of zoom - using the “-” & “=” keys for instance.

Is there a proven way to set my views so I know I am getting what I actually want??

I can observe that as well, a small change in zoom before it is saved.

If you know how to, you can safely tweak the settings in the saved custom camera file. Found at …Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SimObjects\Airplanes<your airplane>\cameras.CFG

I think those files do not get wiped during an update. Only before a reinstall of the sim you better make a backup of the …LocalCache\SimObjects subfolders.

‘InitialZoom’, ‘InitialXyz’ and ‘InitialPbh’ are the most relevant parameters.

My way of defining preferred camera views is to create a small mod with a tweaked copy of the main cameras.cfg file to put in the community folder. It is really easy to create such simple mods. There are some instructions on how to do it on the forum.

1 Like

Thats interesting, not looked in those files yet.

Are the figures stored in vars like “InitialZoom” sensible numbers or some mega code ?

The CFG files are plain text files, nothing fancy. Open them with a simple editor. I do use Notepad++.

Documentation about the cameras.cfg is in the Online SDK docs

1 Like

Thanks, had a read, have a copy of a cfg on my laptop to study, no idea if i’ll be able to get the courage to mess with it for a while yet.

One thing I have noticed though is that since altering my main camera zoom from 50 to 67% as calculated by Russ Barlow’s spreadsheet, my landings have improved a lot so that encourages me to dig further here.

I had another look at the default VFR pilot view/save and it is totally messed up, it will zoom well in before saving for no reason at all, sort of makes it useless now. I’m not sure if changing my controls over to using a custom saved camera (which does seem to work) would be ok - i use the reset view option a lot but i think custom views toggle instead?

What does everyone else use?

So far I only use two custom views for tilting the panel up so pop-out-panel manager can see the PFD and FCU and to put it back after so i have 8 spares.

Further, just found this…

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/guide-how-to-configure-cockpit-views-cameras-using-custom-camera-controller-assignments/171116/51?u=davejk9173

Which makes sense as i have now set the main zoom to 67% as required which has broken the VFR view/save function.

I’m not sure why we need so many zoom functions if there is no way to easily set a default by number? I’m not sure the cockpit zooms are the same as the main zoom?

With the main zoom at 50% my landings are bad with flaring too early and too much, with it at the calculated 67% my landings are good/better with a nice flare so clearly this is an important setting, to my setup at least (multi monitor)

Is there a way to make saved views not toggle - that way they can be used to replace the broken VFR Pilot View maybe??

The fix does indeed lie in that main menu “zoom” setting - set all three sliders to 50 which i believe is the default upon install.

Then use the “-” & “=” keys to set the required cockpit zoom level - you can watch the level in the toolbar camera tab, but, once you press “save VFR pilot view” it will save your setting but also set the zoom slider to 50% again so your new zoom point is now the middle of the zoom range.

This seems a very baffling and over-complex way of setting a camera point ? The main menu camera sliders are not even needed as better results are found by using the plane-specific ones in the cockpit.

Very odd but I’m glad its working :slight_smile:

MSFS2020 True Multi-View is finally here. 100% geometrical correction and edge blending for Multi-PC (Single-View Per PC) and Single PC (Multi-Views Per PC) is available with the latest software releases of Immersive Display PRO v4.6.1 , Immersive LCD PRO v4.6.1 and Immersive Calibration PRO 5.1.1

The full MSFS2020 Multi-View Step by Step Guide can be found here:

Check out the 3x2 projector setup and 5 LCD Panels setup for one of the latest professional and certified helicopter simulator setups done with Fly Elise-ng Software.