Can’t get VR to work in MSFS with G2

Please help. Just bought a new computer. New flight controls, a reverb G2, and MSFS all with the single purpose of VR flight sim. I can get my Reverb G2 to view in VR outside the games/sims—-works in Windows Mixed Reality Portal, Open XR Tools VR demo, and Steam VR Portal, but within the MSFS (steam and/or MS Store versions, along with Acro FS and another game I downloaded just to try, when I switch to VR mode, the “Cliff house” Mixed Reality Portal view switches to an animated blue or black and white shattering transition screen animation that turns to black screens in the goggle eyes. The monitor shows the images that should be displayed in the goggles, as if the switch worked and the flight sim audio continues to play through the headset but the goggles go black.

Everything brand new this week.
Reverb G2. Puma flight controls.
Corsair VENGEANCE I7300 GAMING PC, I7-12700K, RTX 3080, 2TB M.2, 32GB DDR5-4800, windows 11 preloaded.

Following these steps:

1. Power on G2
  2. Launch WMR
  3. Launch OpenXR
  4. Launch MSFS2020
  5. Choose aircraft and other flight parameters and launch flight.
  6. When flight running stable in 2d, CTRL +Tab into VR.
  7. Put on headset. Goggles transition to black.

I’ve called HP for about 2 hours ruling out driver updates, specs and cable issues I’ve read about. I have watched several YouTube videos and played with trying to adjust specs and have reset all to defaults again and rebooted between each. I’m not super computer savvy but feel I’ve asked several folks who are now and I’m stuck. I’m hopefully missing something simple.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

My G2 switched to MSFS almost instantly, then for no apparent reason it started to hand in the polygon transition splash screen between Cliff house and the simulator, sometimes up to 10 seconds. Quite by accident I did a clean install of MSFS for another reason and after that the issue was gone. Not sure if this helps it was just a strange experience I encountered.

1 Like

Thanks. Just tried it and waited a full minute to see if maybe I just wasn’t waiting long enough. No luck in either game. Both do the transition screen and then black. I might have to see if I can borrow an Oculus to see if it’s the goggles.

I had the steam version first and it did the same. I uninstalled and then did a new install of the Microsoft version and had same issue.

I don’t know about the G2. I use the Index.
But do you really need thouse programs, WMR, OpenXR, running?

For trubbleshooting i would try just running SteamVR + Flightsim.
And possible uninstall all that other stuff.

1 Like
  1. Run WMR
  2. Don’t run OpenXR (it’s a settings app that just saves state)
  3. Launch MSFS
  4. Plan flight and before you click Fly…
  5. CTRL+Tab to launch VR
  6. Click Fly and wait until loading finished
3 Likes

Are you using the usb-c plug from the G2 directly to the motherboard usb-c port? Or the converter plug usb-c to usb-a? Try another USB port and also make sure windows isn’t shutting off any of the usb hubs on the mobo (I had problems with my g2 after every windows update when the default power settings would come back). Under Windows Device Manager you can see the USB controller area, and in that under settings or properties is a power management option that was defaulting to “allow windows to turn off USB ports to save power”. I disabled this for all USB ports and usb controllers and it helped me, and I have to fix this after many windows updates as this is a default “feature” to save a minuscule amount if power. It was impacting my peripherals including the G2. Not sure if that will help but worth looking. Also I imagine you did any firmware updates on the g2 as there was one I had to do.

1 Like

I’m going to be taking the plunge in about 2 weeks. Good luck setting it up man :crossed_fingers::muscle:

1 Like

I just tried that. With and without launching Open XR and or MRP first. Same thing, fades to black screens, happened in each scenario. I no longer have the steam version of MSFS but I also tried a different steam VR game too and same issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I’ve tried both USB C Ports, same issue with either. Haven’t tried a converter. May look into on but I don’t have one handy. Thanks

Is there a USB C port on your 3080 you can plug into? Otherwise, a powered USB hub seems to be the solution for others.

2 Likes

External USB 3.x Hub (the blue) with its own energy supply. I had the same, this worked instantly.

2 Likes

Some have reported a sound input volume problem - ie anything higher than 50% volume to the headset caused it to black out. My headset in earlier versions of MSFS used to black out sporadically for 1 minute or more at a time and then recover. Since the firmware update, I’ve not had the issue again.

If you are wary of clicking the link below search the internet for HP Reverb G2 Firmware. Latest is 15Rev A.

There was a firmware update to address the issue - here is the link - HP Reverb G2 Virtual Reality Headset Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

The official description is : “Fix and enhancements: Resolves a potential issue where displays may flicker or go black when playing certain titles at high volume levels.”

3 Likes

WMR the MS Store app version not the Steam WMR app I guess. Have you checked all the WMR options in Windows if there is something weird? Press the button there of the delete surround data and reset.

Yep, all firmware up to date. All settings seem non weird.

Update: just bought a Quest2 and got it running pretty easily and finally flew in VR in MSFS. Not sure if that helps troubleshoot the G2 issue but the PC and Game worked with it via airlink pretty easily. Cool to actually try the VR flying.

1 Like

If you could try with other G2 in your PC would make help maybe. Hope you solve it quick.

Make in other disk and partition a “fast” basic fresh installation of W11 and try it?

1 Like

Might be a long shot but sometimes when I have my Bluetooth and, or, WiFi remote control receiver plugged in to PC weird things will happen like MSFS not loading so please make sure to disconnect anything Bluetooth/WiFi/Anything Radio Receiver Like.

1 Like

Thank you. No USB C port on the 3080 that I can see, just some HDMI ports. I will look into converting the USBC to HDMI or to regular USB for one of the other ports as I’m not seeing many powered USB-C to USB-C ports. :crossed_fingers:

I don’t have another G2 but may try to swap the one I have for another if they’ll do that.

I’ll look into the partition and fast basic fresh install of W11 but sounds complicated to me as someone not super computer savvy. Brand new computer with W11 pre installed.

Thank you. Only Bluetooth thing I have plugged in is the trackball. I tried removing that but no luck. But thanks!

1 Like

I have messed with and reset to defaults a few different ways in the mixed reality settings. Yes, windows, not steam. Although the same issue happens in steam too