Can we have a graphics settings optimiser? Sick of fiddling with settings I don't understand

I fly in VR.

ā€¦and yet GeoForce offer an optimisation tool. Itā€™s not what Iā€™m after but goes in the right direction.

I wrote a proposal, but I doubt that SimVars/sdk will ever provide the hooks required.

i seriously think yo need to get an xbox, no graphical settings there to fiddle with.
way easier upgrades.
there are downsides too ofcourse.

1 Like

I feel they should keep adding more and more sliders for a ton of stuff so that those who want granular control can have it. I do agree however that it will get very confusing and cluttered.

The solution is to hide those sliders in another section. They could call it Advanced Settings. This is where us nerdy types can go to tweak stuff.

Only the very basic settings would be on the ā€œregularā€ screen. Other games have this and it works well. It will keep both kinds of gamer happy.

3 Likes

All the tool could realistically do is set you graphics to low, ultra etc. What the end user is happy with is massively subjective. Not only would it need to analyse your pc but your entire flying style and where you fly, what weather you like etc. Add in the potentially endless potential mix of hardware and drivers for each part of your PCā€¦

Having to tweak the settings is always part of PC gaming. I start with a recommended setting, for example high then tweak from there. Motion blur is the first thing in the bin. With MSFS Iā€™m happy to have it running at 42fps with higher graphics settings but some on here only want 60fps but are happy to sacrifice visuals to obtain that.

Better tool tips and a benchmark mode would be nice though.

1 Like

Exactly and this is the same reason I got rid of the irritating GeForce Experience when it decided to ā€œoptimizeā€ my games for me which is a load of nonsense.

I have an old PC but thanks to an overclock and other tweaks I can run games pretty well - including stuff like GTA5 full of mods at high setting. GFE recommended that all games be set to ā€œLowā€

I was like ā€œ[word not allowed] off!ā€ and got rid of it.

As you said this is extremely extremely subjective. There are billions of hardware configs and then theres the human element. A sustained 30FPS will keep me happy but not someone else etc.

2 Likes

The reality is, we already have basic ā€œoptimizedā€ settings and we have since the sim launched: Hit the Default button on the Graphics page you get the simā€™s best guess as to what your system can handle.

That guess may be right, it may be wrong, or it may be right some areas (empty deserts) and utterly terrible for others (KSFO with live active weather, live traffic and MP turned on).

But either way, you have never been required to go into the guts of the options. Just select Low, Medium, High or Ultra and live with it.

For 15 months I flew on a now-5 year old laptop with an i7-6820HK and GTX1070. The ā€œDefaultā€ for me was ā€œhigh endā€ which was fine for most areas of the world but not good for cities and dense urban areas. After SU5, I was able to fly well (albeit not nit-pickingly perfect) over NYC at night with Vsync On and mostly maintain 30 fps. Yes, there were occasional stutters but never very big or often, and never really interfered with flying. If I set things back to Medium, Iā€™d get 30 fps without a hitch, and over 40 if I turned off Vsync.

So as usual, it all comes down to what YOU want out of the sim: eye-candy, buttery smoothness, or both? If your current rig canā€™t do both and you really want to keep flying MSFS, it may just be time to upgrade your hardware. Sad to say it, but MS/Asobo have talked about a ten year lifecycle for this sim ā€œecosystem.ā€ Great! As demanding as it is today, it will probably run on a tablet in 10 years, lol.

Now all that said, I upgraded last weekend to an i7-11000F, 32GB DDR4-32 ram, 2TB nVME m.2 SSD and RTX 3070 and did some flying over NYC. At 1080p with Ultra settings, plus Ed Patinoā€™s NYC scenery pack and a city lighting mod that adds traffic lights and stuff, I was able to maintain 60fps at 3,000ā€™ over Manhattan. It dipped down to 42-50 fps at 1,500ā€™ over Midtown, then climbed up into the 50 fps range over Queens, then dropped to 42 taxiing to a stop near the terminals of LGA. No stutters, no jitters, no tearing. Even jumping into and out of the cockpit and quickly changing views to left, right and forward didnā€™t cause the slightest pause or stutter. Had I not had the Nvidia Performance Monitor running to show stats Iā€™d never have been able to tell the difference in frame rates.

So tl;dr: Set your system to Low/Medium/High/Ultra and test. Reduce if necessary. If still not happy and donā€™t want to tweak, buy new hardware. Sucks but there it is.

No tweaking, no messing about with ā€œoptimizingā€, nothing. Just set the slider and go.

1 Like

They actually made a good start when they added the explanation window to the right of the settings. Unfortunately, as so many things that Asobo do, they forgot to finish it.

Lol, upgrading from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3070 is probably the biggest tweak Iā€™ve seen :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thatā€™s kind of my point though - this sim isnā€™t written for low-spec 2020-era machines. Itā€™s pretty clearly written for what will be low-spec 2030-era machines. That said, in my case going from a 4-core i7-6820 that peaks at 3.4 Ghz to an 8-core i7-11700 that maxes out at 4.9 GHz, + faster DRAM and twice as much of it certainly helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then research until you do understand them.

MSFS is too complex and there are too many possible system variables to just click a button and get the ā€œoptimalā€ settings.

2 Likes

Of that Iā€™m certain. With that spec if you are not already there resolution 100% renderscale 200 all ultra and then start raising LODs keeping an eye out for stutters. Fps wonā€™t change much but if you want more lowering resolution is the easy way as is raising it for better visuals (at an fps cost)

1 Like

I have the sim installed on both of my boysā€™ systems, in addition to my own rig. System 1 is a laptop with an Intel 4700 series CPU and an M770 GPU, 9 years old. System 2 is an Intel 2700 series CPU and a 1030 GPU, system age is probably closer to 12 years old, I donā€™t even know. Both run the game without stutters, albeit with a fair amount of in-game tuning and below FHD resolutions.

My point is, as long as you know what settings to adjust, the range of hardware this sim can run on is immenseā€¦despite what people on this forum would have you believe.

4 Likes

Absolutely ā€¦ before I had this gpu I was slumming it with a GT1030 myself :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: SU5 gave me a 120% uplift before the two hotfixes brought me back to half of that :crazy_face: Skimming the London rooftops at 75fps was such fun. (1280x720, RS100%, low preset, volumetrics off in dev mode)

I guess with the way I set my CPU and GPU loads, I have not been subjected to the ā€œperformance changesā€ that so many people seem to have. The biggest change I noticed since the last sim update is that I can now set my vsync to 60, up from 30, and still have room for the CPU to process and send frames to the GPU, so Iā€™m still getting 30 on the ground, but 48 in the air. Also, I was able to reapply overclocks to my GPU again, but with core clock -15 from what was stable in FurMark. You still have to downclock from whatever the synthetics give you to keep the sim stable.

For anyone curious as to how I keep my sim stable and stutter-free, the info is all in this thread:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/stutters-on-final-lower-end-systems/474357/22

1 Like

Yeah, I totally get that.

I really do suggest people watch that entire video posted early on in this thread - feel free to skip past a few parts (guys spends WAAAY too long with volumetric clouds, often on cloud conditions that show minimal difference at all like mostly clear or in heavy gray overcast). But in any case, one thing thatā€™s clear is that for many settings, the single biggest jump in visuals comes from Off to Low and/or Low to Medium. Higher settings are nicer for sure, but in terms of ā€œbang for the buckā€ (or ā€œfor the siliconā€), the gains are smaller than from Low to Medium and come with a real performance cost. Other settings have very subtle effects that may be difficult to discern in many situations unless you insist on trying to fly in 4K HDR on a system and display that can do it justice.

1 Like

Most people arenā€™t loading their GPUs enough. Thatā€™s the core problem for almost every performance-related thread I have taken the time to read through. Settings to increase FPS also increase stutters. If you follow the link in my post above, I go into detail about how to optimize the sim, no matter your hardware setup.

2 Likes

Youā€˜re certainly right that the sim is future focused. However I have a i7-6700k at 4.4GHz and a GTX1080Ti and use the sim at locked 30 FPS with a mix of high and ultra settings in 4K (2160p) in the DC6. So the sim is totally capable of running well with an older system. Sure, no ray tracing etc with a 10** card and you donā€˜t need to seriously think of VR (although thats NO problem in DCS). But at the current state of the sim (from a performance side, not the bugs) there is hardly a reason to spend another 2500+ā‚¬ for a new system. Future addons and technics might change that but not now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.