Can we skip updates?

I very rarely get time to fly in FS2020 … well, today I had a few hours. Or I did, until I got stuck spending 2 hours to download an update.

So, instead of flying, I watched a loading bar crawl across the screen while I watched youtube videos. If I could skip it, I could have skipped it and downloaded the update later tonight or literally any other time.

Does anyone know a way to skip updates?

3 Likes

I think the issue is less updates and more how annoying it is to update. You cant just open the MS store and be like “Check for updates” you actually have to open the game only to find out there are updates.

If we could just do an update check we could do it before we plan a session.

That’s not true for actual sim updates, not including the NAV data only ones. When an announcement is made that an update has been released, I go to the store first to download the update there, then I launch the sim so it can download the other bits.

This only works, however, if you know an update is availability, otherwise what you point out occurs.

There is a cure to this though. Simply subscribe to the announcements page, and you will get informed when an update has been released.

In fact, I would almost go so far as to suggest new forum members should be auto-subscribed to that group, and leave it up to them to un-subscribe if they wish. It’s by no means the busiest, with 4 new threads in 9 days.

Simples!

On the MS store it will let you click “Play” even when a Mandatory update is out. Stores like Steam tell you to update before even attempting to launch. Its not really a cure its just bad design of the MS store. I remember i was going to play Sea of Thieves with a friend a few weeks back and we made a comment to check that it was fully updated as we had not played in ages. I opened the MS store, it said “Play” i clicked “Check for updates” and it listed loads of apps that could be updated but not SOT. Its only that night when we wanted to play and it started launching the game that the store was like “Oh oops looks like you need an update!” and started downloading it (with no ETA).

The store is just badly designed.

1 Like

When I go to the downloads, and updates page it usually lists MSFS as requiring an update. I don’t click play. Why? Because I know there is an update to download, which is why I opened the store in the first place.

One time MSFS didn’t show for some reason, but 4 others did. I downloaded them, and just as they finished MSFS appeared, and automatically started downloading the update without me prompting a second download.

It may not be the best, if you compare it to Steam, for example, but it does work, and I’ve never had any trouble with it.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed. I believe Prince Goro said that. :wink:

Sounds like we agree. MSFS isn’t being targeted here the store is. Whilst your suggestions are good ones i’m merely saying no game store/game catalogue software should let you launch a game or provide no information about an update (even if you actually look for it which the MS store does do, as i listed in my previous example) when a mandatory update is required.

I didn’t play MSFS for a good 1.5 / 2 months until recently and i knew for a fact there were 2 world updates and some mandatory ones i needed but i had to open the game to get them, for the sake of science i tried to get any indication at all from the store that the game needed updating and there was nothing anywhere.

Tis all i’m saying :).

1 Like

I use this option in the Store:

I then click the “Get Updates” button:

But there is often no indication there is an update available here until I click that button. The reason I know is the expectation of a patch to be released on a given day, as indicated by the forum updates.

It’s not ideal, but its what we got, as they say.

1 Like

Exactly, thats exactly where i look, caught me out everytime on SOT and MSFS as its never been an option in there despite the fact mandatory updates are required :). Meant to take a short video of this actually last time so i could raise it but totally forgot, this time there a mando update i’ll take a short vid of the complete lack of options to update it without opening it first include the 3 dot “check for update” option.

That being said im glad im on MS store version over steam, steam seems to have had way more game issues with MSFS :expressionless:

Also kinda feel bad like we hijacked CastTrouts thread :smiley:

1 Like

Hi there,
There is no way to skip at this time, and realistically, I don’t ever see completely skipping an update forever as a possibility.
There is a wishlist topic for delaying patches, and you may want to vote for that topic here:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.