Can you read the cockpit? What headset do you have?

Flight Sim 2020 in VR is like my dream game.

Outside of the pretty poor performance I am getting, even with a 3080 and Ryzen 5800x, if I could actually read the cockpit that would be pretty awesome.

I have an HTC Vive and I literally cannot read any buttons, knobs, labels on almost anything, even when I hold the focus button then physically lean way in in real life only then can I be able to read them. They are mostly just little white blobs in the shape of words lol. I know the Vive is basically the worst possible headset for text clarity…but I was kinda hoping it would be ok.

I want to buy a clearer headset so I will be able to read the dashboard. I am a pilot in real life, but I am flying quite a few unfamiliar airframes here, so I am not familiar with where things are.

When I can’t even read it that makes it pretty difficult. Even with aircraft I am familiar with, but haven’t flown in quite a while it’s pretty rough.

I am running SteamVR at 100% scaling and, the game at 80%, and more or less running the default VR graphics settings, other than raising the Texture quality to Ultra, hoping that would make the text more readable.

I’m willing to invest the money in a better headset if it will actually improve it, but I’d kinda like to know ahead of time!

Thanks!

1 Like

Unfortunately I think that is an issue with the Vive panels. I had the same issues in all other games over the years. For the ones that were well optimized you could increase SS alot which helped a bit but you still had to lean in.
What would be a great feature for the devs to add is some sort of magnifying tool. For example hover mouse over altimeter and press a key which then expands the altimeter. Maybe in the vector style you see in external view pancake.

Question: Do you have the weird scaling as well with the htc vive where cockpit seems very small? I have that and it really doesn’t help in being able to read instruments

This is the problem and we haven’t a solution.
(I have this problem in DCS and it’s the reason why I sell the Vive)

Using a Quest 2 and render scaling set to 130 I can get a pretty clear picture where it is possible to read quite a lot of details without having to lean in. A HP G2 will be able to push out even more details. But it will cost lots of FPS and I don’t know if that’s what you want.

But don’t expect to be able to read everything without having to lean in, that’s just not possible right now.

1 Like

Valve Index, all is perfect… can read everything.

Reading the altimeter setting is such a pain in the butt. :joy:

LOL, yes that one is for the next generation headsets. I can come pretty close using super sampling though, don’t have to insert my head into the panel anymore so my virtual eyeball can touch the glass of the altimeter :joy:

1 Like

I agree on the Cessna 152, with the Index, the gauges are incredibly clear. (I’m on a i9900k with a 2080Ti)
You can even read the tinniest print on the decals but on the A320 it doesn’t look nearly as good.

Well, that feature is available already. Just bind a key to the VR focus command in the controls menu. I have set it to right-mouse click, so I just have to hover over an instrument and click right to temporarily zoom in.

1 Like

THIS, with my Quest 2 in the a320 I can read the AP and the main 2 screens, if I want to user the rest of the screens and the MCDU I need to lean in significantly.
In GA aircraft you can read most of the instruments since they are pretty close and pretty big, however you might hace issues with the G1000.

The G2 might be better in this regard, but I think the technology is not yet there, we need more resolution and better graphic cards/DLSS in order to achieve the dream, give it 5 more years

If I am not mistaken the Index has worse resolution than the Quest 2 right? In small planes you will be fine but don’t expect reading the instruments on the a320/787 without leaning in.

Comparison through the lens of Quest 2, Rift and Vibe:

1 Like

Sorry I explained it poorly. I meant that instead of your camera zooming in, the instrument would be expanded/extruded out into the foreground. That way you’re not constantly zooming in and out yourself

I don’t want to re-start any old HMD wars (I own both), but I have no issues (with the following tweaks) reading the gauges in the Rift CV1 which I think is the same native res as the vive.

Perhaps the following approach can be replicated in SteamVr somehow …

The idea is to halve the ingame scaling but double the SteamVR scaling.

I don’t know if you can have 30fps reprojection in the vive using steam VR, but if there is a way to use the OpenXR with the vive, I think it can do 30fps.

Just trying to be helpful, maybe this link will prompt some ideas.

Use the “Cockpit focus” button to zoom into instruments that are not easy to read in the cockpit. Hope this helps.

Yes I know. I still can’t read them even using that. I have to lean on even more and still can’t read most of them. For example the buttons on the g1000. Totally unreadable.

Quest 1 at 70% render scale + TAA here. I can barely read the big numbers on the DA62 MFD, but I can read the whole main instrument panel if I zoom in. The G1000 buttons… I mean I can only discern them because I’ve already flown this plane and can do some guessing as to the letters but if we are being honest they are ridiculously blurry to the point where I wonder if the button texture is even being rendered correctly.

Increasing your render scaling is the only solution at this time… they implemented VR so poorly on the it’s crazy. It’s still fun but it could definitely be better quality wise.

This is my experience with the Vive as well.

I tested raising the render scale up to around 130% just to test and the buttons on the g1000 are completely unreadable.

Yeah I’m running around Vive res in my current render scale and YIKES

Oculus Rift S - yes, if I’m close enough in the A320 and 787, but then I can’t see outside. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: