Can you read the cockpit? What headset do you have?

LOL, yes that one is for the next generation headsets. I can come pretty close using super sampling though, don’t have to insert my head into the panel anymore so my virtual eyeball can touch the glass of the altimeter :joy:

1 Like

I agree on the Cessna 152, with the Index, the gauges are incredibly clear. (I’m on a i9900k with a 2080Ti)
You can even read the tinniest print on the decals but on the A320 it doesn’t look nearly as good.

Well, that feature is available already. Just bind a key to the VR focus command in the controls menu. I have set it to right-mouse click, so I just have to hover over an instrument and click right to temporarily zoom in.

1 Like

THIS, with my Quest 2 in the a320 I can read the AP and the main 2 screens, if I want to user the rest of the screens and the MCDU I need to lean in significantly.
In GA aircraft you can read most of the instruments since they are pretty close and pretty big, however you might hace issues with the G1000.

The G2 might be better in this regard, but I think the technology is not yet there, we need more resolution and better graphic cards/DLSS in order to achieve the dream, give it 5 more years

If I am not mistaken the Index has worse resolution than the Quest 2 right? In small planes you will be fine but don’t expect reading the instruments on the a320/787 without leaning in.

Comparison through the lens of Quest 2, Rift and Vibe:

1 Like

Sorry I explained it poorly. I meant that instead of your camera zooming in, the instrument would be expanded/extruded out into the foreground. That way you’re not constantly zooming in and out yourself

I don’t want to re-start any old HMD wars (I own both), but I have no issues (with the following tweaks) reading the gauges in the Rift CV1 which I think is the same native res as the vive.

Perhaps the following approach can be replicated in SteamVr somehow …

The idea is to halve the ingame scaling but double the SteamVR scaling.

I don’t know if you can have 30fps reprojection in the vive using steam VR, but if there is a way to use the OpenXR with the vive, I think it can do 30fps.

Just trying to be helpful, maybe this link will prompt some ideas.

Use the “Cockpit focus” button to zoom into instruments that are not easy to read in the cockpit. Hope this helps.

Yes I know. I still can’t read them even using that. I have to lean on even more and still can’t read most of them. For example the buttons on the g1000. Totally unreadable.

Quest 1 at 70% render scale + TAA here. I can barely read the big numbers on the DA62 MFD, but I can read the whole main instrument panel if I zoom in. The G1000 buttons… I mean I can only discern them because I’ve already flown this plane and can do some guessing as to the letters but if we are being honest they are ridiculously blurry to the point where I wonder if the button texture is even being rendered correctly.

Increasing your render scaling is the only solution at this time… they implemented VR so poorly on the it’s crazy. It’s still fun but it could definitely be better quality wise.

This is my experience with the Vive as well.

I tested raising the render scale up to around 130% just to test and the buttons on the g1000 are completely unreadable.

Yeah I’m running around Vive res in my current render scale and YIKES

Oculus Rift S - yes, if I’m close enough in the A320 and 787, but then I can’t see outside. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You have to be realistic with your expectations.

Please consider this: a real GNS 530 Screen is 320x234 pixels. If the GNS 530 Screen is covering about 1/10 of the FOV width when looking at the panel, this means you need 3200 pixels wide to represent each individual GNS screen pixels properly (actually you need at least 1.5 times more).

In other words, it takes at least a Reverb G2 panel to be able reading the EFIS screens from the pilot seat position. Any lower panel resolution will invariably lead to fuzzy EFIS screens.

With analogue gauges it is different for two reasons at least:

• Gauge lettering is usually bigger and needles are wider than their virtual representations on an EFIS screen.
  • FS2020 is rendering analogue gauges at the displayed resolution (Post-Process res in the fps window) whereas it is rendering EFIS screens at the rendering resolution (Render Scale res.)*

*actually it is rendering everything at the rendering resolution but enlarging pixels representing 3D features (buttons, knobs, needles) is less prone to aliasing than pixels representing dots on an EFIS screen.

Right well with a Vive I can’t even read the buttons or anything smaller than the aircraft registration, even with VR Focus zoomed in, and physically leaning in even farther, so, there must be a better solution than this.

My only suggestion would be to look for some magnifier overlay… OVR toolkit might have a way for you to toggle the windows magnifier overlay, which might make it possible to zoom in on the desktop view in such a way that if you supersample and make the desktop 4k, you can get better visibility. Once it’s set up you could be able to say ‘zoom’ and have voice attack toggle the zoom. Yes, this is ridiculous but the truth is the headset screen just doesn’t allow for what you want :pleading_face:
Edit: this is 100% possible, it’s not a ‘maybe’

I’m just going to buy a quest 2 or HP Reverb when I can find one. I want it for other stuff like Elite Dangerous anyway.

I had the opportunity to buy the quest 2 on the 24th at best buy but I went there as soon as they opened today and they were gone.

Rift S on 1.3 SS and 100 TAA in sim I can read everything fine

You might want to consider supporting this too:
[BUG/FEATURE] EFIS Screens Problems and Solutions for higher legibility