Cannot do Long Haul Flights anymore in 747

Hello all, sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong forum, but I just wanted to vent a little here. I am currently unable to do long haul flights. I primarily use the Salty 747-8i, which is a better version of the default 747 in-game. I have 16 GB ram but do not run any programs in the background when doing 9+ hour flights.

However, when I flew from DXB-ATL, the FPS tanked hard and I experienced lags before it CTD around 30 nmi from my destination.

Similar thing happened when I was trying to fly from NRT-ATL. Except the game froze completely a few hours into the flight and CTD while I was somewhere near Alaska.

The longest flight I could do comfortably was ATL-LHR. I set a lot of my graphics settings to low and also the AI traffic variation. My computer is also pretty strong and it is compatible with MSFS.

Maybe it could be an addon conflict? I have a 747-400 which is an addon but it claims it’s salty compatible. It has not been updated in months though, so if anyone else has this mod, are you experiencing similar issues?

Anyways, was wondering if anyone else has the same problems. Is extremely dissapointing, as I have several routes that I wanted to fly, and now it seems I can’t.

Thanks

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: It’s hard to say if it’s really Salty related, or just the repeated unexplainable stability issues with the sim. I had four consecutive CTD’s with the Salty. Then flew the A330 Headwind on the same route, and crashed again. Crashes were all near the destination. These were all six hour flights. I think complex airliners on long haul flights are a random throw of the dice, and you get snake eyes a LOT.

Edit: For “fun” you can download the Global Express G6000 mod from flightsim.to and try a long haul. It’s a very simple plane system-wise, and not at all close to accurate (it uses the G3000), but it seems to be very easy on your system. I tried PHNL to KCLE and it seemed to handle it fine.

I find using the default 747 avoids the FPS drop that I see when using the Salty and the A339. The current speculation is that the “pushback” utility that is used in those aircraft are causing some of the issues.

I also use the PMDG 737 BBJ on long haul routes as well without any ill effects.

I tested this specifically during my 4 consecutive Salty CTDs, and it crashed even without the pushback toolbar mod.

Hello everyone
Forgive me if I am very annoying but I think this is a very good solution and I would love to share it with everyone to enjoy MSFS 2020 to the fullest
For it has been a spectacular improvement no drop in performance and at the moment no CTD

1 Like

The problem of long flights is the RAM usage, as explained above. This is not caused by the airplane but by the scenery loading. Everytime you go back to main menu to start a new flight some RAM is released but not all. Pagefile still keeps a lot of content and not only from game but also from your web browser or any other service which is used by Windows. Many of the CTDs are generated by pointers to non existing memory addresses.

Now the CTDs have been reduced but they are still a lottery. You can even have random CTDs while simply doing zoom on world map, while having none after flying hours around an area of the world fully populated with addons and high detail.

To me the best to avoid headaches is just doing 1h flights as maximum in the meantime. I tried also memory cleaning and setting pagefile even to 32Gb and game still crashes due to invalid memory pointers, so this is a core error as game should not be requesting to use those addresses. And this type of error was introduced by SU8 or SU9 because it was not happening before.

Cheers

2 Likes

totally agree I advise you to try the method I mentioned and you will notice the difference I heated up my head a lot until I found the only solution for myself. i tried everything any advice or configuration and nothing helped… and now cleaning the RAM that MSFS 2020 accumulates with Quick CPU my problems have been completely solved I hope they implement for SU10 some Auto-clean Memory

@ToniGsxr600

Can i ask you one,

am i correct you have rolling cache disabled?

If right I only used it once and it was enough for me to realize that it gave me more problems than benefits not counting the space it occupies… I keep the setting to clean the ram every 2 minutes

I used the solution that ToniGsxr600 posted it and for me too
it worked. Two 11-hour flights;B747/B787 SBGL_EDDF/EDDF_SBGL. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Listen to @ToniGsxr600 he help and its worked

1 Like

Ok all, I’ve set up the memory cleaning, am about to spawn into a 747 to do HNL-ATL, wish me luck!

Hello mate
Good luck mate.
I forgot to point out that HAGS has to be disabled
Happy flight

,[quote=“geloxo, post:6, topic:528672”]
Many of the CTDs are generated by pointers to non existing memory addresses.

I tried also memory cleaning and setting pagefile even to 32Gb and game still crashes due to invalid memory pointers, so this is a core error as game should not be requesting to use those addresses. And this type of error was introduced by SU8 or SU9 because it was not happening before.
[/quote]

Are you performing memory “cleaning” while MSFS is running? Windows has very good memory management and will clean out memory eventually. It might seem slow because it might have to write memory to disk if it has been changed.

Unless you have source code, it would be difficult even with a dump analyzer to determine invalid memory addresses and their cause. Is Windows invalidating memory before MSFS releases it? If so, this would be a Windows bug. Most modern compilers check for memory address errors to prevent these kinds of problems. And if there is a memory address problem, it should be easy to replicate.

Invalid memory errors could also be caused by defective hardware. Windows would write out memory to a defective part of a memory chip or disk (paging file) but nothing is there when the memory is read.

Also, Windows and NVIDIA (not sure about AMD) share RAM and VRAM moving memory around as needed. Another thing to consider.

A message box appears including the memory address in hexadecimal and says the address in not existing. Then game crashes. This error is reported by many other users here in the forum.

Cheers