Cannot get cockpit view right cessna 182

So, I bought the carenado 182 and for the life of me I can’t get the views out of the cockpit right. I cannot easyh negotiate the pattern with this model. I just can’t see the runway out the left window with the left patterna approach.
I can seed the low wing approach correctly, like when I owned a Cherokee 6 300.
I used to own a 182 and the looks from the cockpit so far are not like when i used to fly that airplane which I loved and why I bought the carenado.
I have tried all kinds of view heights and zooms without success.
What am I doing wrong.

1 Like

How do you mean you can’t get the view right? Are you making your own custom views with Ctrl-Alt-1, Ctrl-Alt-2, etc.? That’s how i do it and i can position every camera the way i like it and then bind those views to the hat switch.You can move the camera’s freely so every view is possible.

When I look out the left I see too much of the wing and not enough below it. I am trying to go back to my old airport in Tennessee where I learned in the 80’s and when I (rarely) get the look right it feels just like I am there again which is what I am after. As a 600 hr pilot I got used to turning left base and knowing when to turn final again almost by feel and look .
I tried the custom views and they did not seem to be sticky. Had to set them up each time I started the sim which I didn’t want to do.
MSFS 2020 is great but there is so much of the key combos etc, It really takes time to get them all in my head which is NOT like real flying.
Also, have a honeycomb yoke backordered to increase realism. For me it was always about accomplishing all the tasks necessary to get a good pattern with good power management and good approach speed and other parameters mastered. That is what I am having problems with.

Finally got it right. Seems custom views follow airplane type but not sure of that. An oddity, kept setting left and right correctly with custom view Ctrl+Alt+# but it did not stay until I did it like 10 times only for left and right POV. Weird. Hope it sticks for next time.
Able to do perfect full stall landing like I used to do in my 182 or 172 both of which I owned 1975 and 1968 models respectively. Yay, much happier now.
Feels like the old cockpits now although all we had were the quazi transister Cessna 300 radios (the worst radio known to man - loved to go out exactly the wrong time - replaced in the 182 with first narco flip flop digital radios).

1 Like

It’s a Game changer if you get a Head Tracker, and then it is so much easier to look out of the left and put your nose up against the glass, and look down, or back.
Far easier to keep alternating from looking forward and down to the side as well.

I believe there is quite a good one out there that can work using a cell phone, (if the phone is not too old !!)

I had an old TrackIR when I used FSX many years ago, but I think the newer Phone head Tracker may be far superior.

In FSX, you could even stick you head out of the window to look back !!

I just need to get a newer phone – this Fs2020 is getting expensive !!

Trackir is so bad. You move your head to one side and your eyes to the other. VR is better but its just to big at the moment. If your play DCS they are kinda mandatory. For non combat flight sim, mouse keyboard, monitor and joystick is just the best option.

I own the Carenado C182 for both x-plane 11 and msfs 2020 and I have a problem with the cockpit view in both planes. Perhaps it has something to do with the geometry of the real plane. When in the cockpit, it seems as if I am in a tail dragger. When I raise the viewpoint looking forward so that I can see the nose of the aircraft, my head is on the roof and when I look left, I am looking at the wall above the window. I don’t have this problem with any other aircraft. I am using Trackir but I doubt if this is causing the problem.

1 Like

I plan to look at VR when it comes out. But, I am satisfied with my custom views using the hat switch right now and will continue doing patterns until it feels right consistently and I can get MSFS to act consistently. I play the game because I am a pilot, not a gamer and than kind of changes things. I am more interested in revisiting places I have lived and flown and getting into and out of progressively different and varied airports.
Also, we didn’t have GPS navigation when I was flying and I will have to get use to that.
I would definitely have figured out a way to afford to install some type of glass cockpit like the Garmin in the 182 when I was flying.
Always wanted more tech in the era where the latest thing was the Ryan stormscope, flip flop digital radios and autopilots that were affordable were mostly just wing levelers.
BUT, it can’t feel too fake or techy or not like real flying for me.
MSFS 2020 seems to fit the ticket. I have xplane 11 but it never looked real enough even after addons so I didn’t fly with it much.

1 Like

So I’m new to flight sims, but one thing I’ve noticed for nearly all aircraft, I must have had a drastic reduction is size, because generally I can’t see over the instrument panel. I’ve flown C152s, C172s and even the 210 in real life and I’ve never noticed any trouble seeing over the instrument panel. I’ve attached an image of the 182T from Carenado which I bought. I’m lined up with the runway in the so called “VFR position” setting. At least, I think I’m lined up with the runway, because I can’t actually see the runway. What rubbish is this!?!

Use the up arrow key to change your point of view.

3 Likes

You can also use the spacebar I believe.

2 Likes

U can adjust it if u wanna VFR flight. OR THAT IS A GOOD WAY TO LEARN IFR FLIGHT!

Yep, you have to sit up a bit by pressing the up arrow as others have suggested. However, what is even more of an issue is the fact that if you are sitting up high enough to see over the console, you can’t look out the side windows effectively to view the runway when flying a pattern. This is a problem with the Carenado Cessna 182T and (as you know) is not true to life. Because of this issue, I’ve found that it is much easier to fly the pattern legs by heading and use the MFD map view to judge the distances rather than trying to look out the side windows.

While Carenado got this wrong, Asobo got it right. You can see out the side windows properly while being able to see over the console in their Cessna 152 and 172 models.

1 Like

EXACTLY! Yes I can push the up arrow key to “raise my seat height” but then when I pan left it’s like my head is stuck up against the roof - I can’t see out the side window! Carenado please give me my money back because this is BS.

Maybe the better workaround is to sit low to fly the pattern and then raise up when rolling onto final. Will have to try that…

One solution is to define camera positions for the left/right/front views instead of panning. Then you can set up each view as it should be and switch back and forth at the press of a button.
Alternatively, there are pre-defined quick views that you can assign to your controller hat switch, for example, which will automatically revert to front view when the switch is released.
I agree with you, though, that it would be nice if you could simply adjust your front view to match the real thing and then simply pan around.

Hmmmm youre right…i fly a tecnam in RL and i have to admit that i have the same opinion. Yes we have a button to get a better view but as he said…you cant look left or right in a good way.

There are a few options to adjust the pilot’s view: arrow keys, space key, “view height” in options and by using custom cockpit views. Adjustment by using keys are unfortunately reset by ctrl-space (reset pilot’s default view).
What works best for me is adjusting the pilot’s view in cameras.cfg files for every aircraft, which can be done with millimeter precision and is preserved between simulator sessions.

Best way to overcome this is trackir. I duck down when passing over runways where I have to look out for traffic.

2 Likes

I’m using TrackIR too, but still, it’s best to have the proper default view when one gets into their plane, and then TrackIr do the rest.

1 Like