Cannot hear ATC instructions and other aircraft suddenly while AI copilot still responds

Latest update fixed this issue for me (on Xbox series x).

Sadly, this is still happening with me in SU9.

It doesn’t always happen but when it does it is always happens when two voices coincide.

1 Like

Looking forward to how this is performing for everyone after today’s hotfix. From the release notes:

• Fixed ATC Azure TTS goes silent while in gameplay

I have not had time to test but I just did an update recently released and this issue may be fixed.

Clip from patch notes:
General bugfix 1.25.9.0

Unfortunately, 4 weeks of beta testing (with two build updates) did not help us clearly identify some crashes related to operations on the world map when downloading packages or content in the background that have been released alongside Sim Update 9 (1.25.7.0). We are working to identify this gap in our beta testing and aim to better cover these cases moving forward. We thank you for your patience.

• Fixed various crashes on the world map

• Fixed crashes affecting airports that have a beacon but no runway (BIKF for example)

• Fixed simobject data request creation process preventing Flight sim gear peripherals from working

• Fixed a crash in vector placement during back to main menu

• Fixed LOD streaming in vector placement in the Scenery editor

• Fixed windshield flickering when the render scale is not set to 100%

• Fixed CGL updating loading order to ensure custom CGL files are loaded correctly

Fixed ATC Azure TTS goes silent while in gameplay (I THINK THIS IS OUR ISSUE!)

• Fixed crashes about SimConnect message reception after being closed in WASM

So was I. I just completed the first flight using today’s hotfix. When I landed at KSTS I tuned in to ATC Ground on COM2 and heard chatter from both ATC tower on COM1 and ATC ground on COM2 for a minute until, as usual, I lost sound and text from ATC.

When Asobo says “Fixed ATC Azure TTS goes silent while in gameplay” they must mean “ATC Azure TTS goes silent while in gameplay”, or “Fixed” means “Made Permanent” or “Etched In Stone”, etc.

I’ve never had two different comms going at the same time. I let the co-pilot handle tuning the comms so I’m always on comm 1 and it changes based on ATC instructions. Maybe that’s a variable in determining if it happens or not?

Loss of ATC text and voice seems to always be an issue of limited resources.

• ATC with AI Copilot on a single COM requires more resources than ATC done manually on a single COM
  • ATC done manually using both COMs requires more resources than ATC done manually on a single COM

After today’s patch, I am losing ATC text and speech much more consistently. It used to be intermittent, and I could go 2 sometimes three flights before losing ATC text and speech after landing and starting to use both COMs.

Now I lose ATC text and speech much more consistently. It happens every time now, shortly after starting to use both radios. The only cure is to completely exit and restart the sim.

Thanks, Asobo, for making this bug happen much more reliably. (sarcasm)

This is still occurring if this bug was supposed to have been fixed. First flight after update KBOS-KMSY and lost ATC somewhere in between New York & Washington ARTCCs. Only hear my copilot’s replies.

After restarting the sim several times today to get both radios operating again, I flew three flights, KOAK to KAPC, KAPC to KSTS, and KSTS to O69, and as always, returned to the main menu between flights. As usual, I used both COMs after landing at KAPC and KSTS.

Unlike the first 3 flights today, I never lost ATC voice or text on these last 3 flights, so now I do not think the patch today made this bug any worse.

Instead, even after the patch today, it seems that this bug continues to appear whenever the demand from any instance of FS2020 for Azure TTS with 2 COMs active or Azure TTS with AI copilot cannot be met.

Bug is still open on 1.25.9.0

1 Like

I haven’t been able to hear ATC since the 1.25.9.0 patch. Azure, offline or off all gve the same result, no speech. For me it is a 100% occurrence. ATC commands still occur and can been seen in the ATC window. Aircraft sounds are OK, just speech is totally gone now.

Maybe “Fixed” means “Recompiled”. That would make sense in a weird way. “It’s been recompiled”. Check that baby off as done!

I just flew today and I had that problem-as in I was switching frequencies and another plane spoke at the time I needed to.

Here is the solution I have (I know it is not the best)- When I restart the game, this problem seems to resolve. This a lot of times means I have to end my flight early :frowning:

So as of that patch-this sadly isn’t fixed even though it said it is.

Thought I ought to post here as I’ve lost count of the number of times ATC has broken on me during a flight.

Usually, it’s the problem described here - the conversation becomes one sided in that I can still hear the pilot/co-pilot’s ATC transmissions and, although the pilot/co-pilot responds to the controller’s transmissions, the latter does not come through as voice, or text on the ATC panel.

I usually use the AI Co-Pilot to respond on my behalf (mainly as I often fly lengthy IFR routes so regularly step away from the PC) but occasionally, the AI Co-Pilot stops responding altogether, though I suspect this is a separate issue and seems to have happened less frequently in the last few months.

Without wishing to divert attention from this topic, on the subject of ATC, those of us who frequently fly IFR in Europe are still having to put up with the coding error (and incorrect airline names) on TUI Airways’ callsigns so, if that could also be looked at, it would be appreciated: ATC Saying hashtag for TUI Airways

4 Likes

It can’t be just me that experiences loss of ATC on all flights from Chicago nd NYC. Seems like there is an entire region of Ohio to Pennsylvania where ATC glitches.

You cant hear or see their transmissions, but if you have your copilot on and in charge of comms, you can hear your responses. But you miss important bits in this “one sided” ATC… such as altimeter from ATC.

That leads to you not ever hitting the "altitude that “triggers” the next ATC command, which will result in you just flying around without ATC giving any further clearances.

ATC in this game has always been underwhelming, but at this point it has reached new heights in the “I bet we can’t make this work any worse” category.

It really begs the question "does anyone on the dev, QA, or product management team even fly this product?

There has been remarkable improvement on all fronts, except ATC. You would think that it would be a priority since this was marketed with a "gee, look how we leveraged Azure’s text to speech. This isn’t really making me want to consider Azure text to speech for my next project.

If you have the copilot handle atc, you should stll be able to hear him repeat atc calls. Another thing that works for me, is when atc drops, switch over to Comms 2 at the top of the atc drop down. It will usually come back within a few minutes.

ATC is being rebuilt, but its an ongoing process replacing very old code, so i recommend patience. Itll happen.

1 Like

Azure went offline twice so far today and I had to listen to the kiddies. Sometimes I lose ATC comms, but hear mine with ATC radio AI enabled, but was flying the 737 and couldnt hear MY responses, but could hear ATC.

It is a hot mess.

My old man sometimes has ATC drop out when flying from or to JFK, as he says its intermittent. I have had it happen a few times i different areas of USA and Europe where you just lose the option to reply, also sometimes when taxing I lose ground radio, so dont get a parking spot.

Hello,

question is what altitude you fly at moment. Regional rules plays role here. In case if US system, TL is at 18000ft so take altimeter above TL is no needed, is same 29.92 but at lower then you need it. I don’t use generic atc of course but it’s also ok to know what you can expect from atc.