ATC Saying hashtag for TUI Airways

Playing on Xbox atc keeps saying “TUI air and hashtag 91, 52 and hashtag 93…” instead of just the coreect callsign TUI 4612

Observe from the 00:43min timestamp.

Heard this today, first time i’ve noticed it, another bug ?

Its only with TUI Airways it seems. Well I only experienced traffic between S. England and France during daylight hours, could be with other yet unexplored airline callsigns.

Anyone else experienced it with any other than just TUI?

I can’t remember the airline but I was in South Wales area

1 Like

Just to confirm, I’m having this regularly and it appears to be specific to TUI flights (I note this has been reported as an issue on Xbox, but I’m a PC user so it’s evidently not specific to Xbox).

In the ATC window, when the hashtags are read out, it appears as “TUI Air [52]” (with the square brackets) followed by the flight number:

When it is read out by ATC, though, it lists it on the screen (via the ‘closed captions’) as “Tui Air &#91 ; 52 &#93”.

When typing this out above, the forum actually converted “&#91” to a square bracket - so, going by this, and given how it is displayed on the ATC window, I’m guessing that “&#91” and “&#93” maybe some sort of HTML code for square brackets - so possibly something as simple as a typing error, such as missing piece of syntax in the code within MSFS?

In addition, “TUI Air” is also incorrect for the aircraft I’m encountering - in fact ‘TUI AIR’ as a callsign isn’t used by TUI at all.

TUI actually operates as five separate airlines, which all have different codes and callsigns, as listed below:

• Airline | IATA/ICAO Code | CALLSIGN | Country
  • TUI Airways | BY/TOM | “TOMJET” | UK
  • TUI fly Belgium | TB/JAF | “BEAUTY” | Belgium
  • TUI fly Deutschland | X3/TUI | “TUI JET” | Germany
  • TUI fly Netherlands | OR/TFL | “ORANGE” | Netherlands
  • TUI fly Nordic | 6B/BLX | “BLUESCAN” | Sweden/Denmark/Finland/Norway

I mainly fly UK routes and it seems all TUI flights are being referred to with TUI Germany flight details (so flight number has ‘TUI’ listed in it and it referred to as ‘TUI Air’ or ‘TUI Jet’) - I’ve not done a huge amount of flying around Germany, Netherlands or the Nordics, so not sure if they are affected, but if someone from Asobo looks into this, it’s worth checking them all.

2 Likes

Just did a Flight from Hamburg to London and came across TUI flight (OR/TFL351) from Amsterdam to Curaçao about 15km off the coast of Amsterdam all the way to UK. Callsign was “Orange” so consider that fixed :+1:

Timestamp 1hr 14m.

Came across this peculiar hashtag issue with a TUI flight myself this afternoon on ATC.

Do you have the SU9 beta?

If not this will be rectified for you in the upcoming update.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear.

I’ve just taken a flight into Germany and found a TUI fly Deutschland flight written as ‘TUI2313’ and spoken by ATC as “Tango Uniform India 2313” (should be “TUI JET 2313”).

Hope SU9 brings a full fix, as there’s evidently more that’s incorrect in addition to the TUI UK airline’s callsigns.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear to be fixed in SU9:

If you type &#91 ; (without the space between the ‘1’ and the ‘;’) the forum changes this to [ so it appears the hashtag is simply the ‘code’ for the square brackets which appear.

Quite why TUI’s callsign (which should be TOMJET) is “Tui Air[52]” is anyone’s guess, but I assume it’s a simple typing error in the sim’s database of airline callsigns.

1 Like

(Also as an addendum to this, the airline Canaryfly does not seem to be in the database either (airline codes PM/CNF; callsign “CANARY”))

The ATC can’t pronounce “THAI” either. So be wary if you want to fly in Thailand.

Might have to type callsign as “TIE”.

1 Like

Just to add to this, I wish they would enable callsigns to be written in lower-case (if you do type them in lower case, it just reverts to uppercase though, ironically, there actually appears to be a bug at the moment where it will allow you to write them in uppercase after you’ve already done a flight and gone back to the World Map).

The reason is, since they updated the Azure voices recently, it seems to have issues saying things which are written in upper case.

“RYANAIR” for example is pronounced “ARR-WHY-ANAIR” by some of the voices yet, when exploiting the ‘bug’ which allows you to write it in lower case, all voices pronounced “Ryanair” correctly.

Hi @AlexJTot,
Have you submitted this to Zendesk?

No I haven’t - perhaps I should report the lot, especially as this topic only has seven votes.

2 Likes

If you leave the callsign field blank sometimes the callsign is correct. Depends on what the dlc developer has put in.
The WizzAir A320Neo from 4simmers has the callsign “Airbus”.
The Thai Smile aircraft was called “THAI” instead of the “THAI SMILE” as in real life, but the Azure ATC can’t say it so maybe the developer put in one that works.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Can you buy TUI Airways on the Marketplace?

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Kinda. Start a flight at Manchester airport.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

There are multiple issues with these flights.

1. the “hashtags” spoken are just ASCII hash values which represent a bracket as OP already mentioned.
  2. “52” does not has any deeper sense and could be cleaned from the callsign.
  3. Best solution would be to replace all “TUI AIR [52]” identifiers with “TOMJET” for TTS as this would be the correct callsign. Likely, to answer OPs question, FlightAware uses “TUI AIR [52]” as an identifier internally, however this identifier is provided to MSFS which does not have a fitting database entry in place. This should be part of AirlineICAOCodes.spb located at “fs-base-aircraft-icao\AirTraffic”.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Screenshots taken on SU10 Beta:

The data likely recieved by the data provider (see brackets)

The message TTS/Azure tries to speak out

This issue also happens on PC, so it’s not XBox specific as already mentioned. Please update tags accordingly.

PC tag added

1 Like