Cannot turn the kHz COM knob to anything ending in 20, 45, 70, or 95 on various aircraft

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

No mods, including from the Marketplace. Working Title G1000 Nxi Marketplace version uninstalled.
I have observed this on the Cessna 172 Classic (GNS430 and GNS530), Cessna 172 G1000 (G1000), Diamond DA40-TDI (GNS430), and A320neo. There is no aircraft I tested where this works, but these are the ones that I did test.

I cannot turn the inner COM radio knob (kHz) to frequencies ending in 20, 45, 70, or 95. So for example, I cannot tune to 121.020 or 121.045. It simply skips over those numbers. I have tested this from .000 to .995, and it is true across the board. In other words, I cannot tune to any frequency ending in these numbers:

.020 .120 .220 .320 .420 .520 .620 .720 .820 .920
.045 .145 .245 .345 .445 .545 .645 .745 .845 .945
.070 .170 .270 .370 .470 .570 .670 .770 .870 .970
.095 .195 .295 .395 .495 .595 .695 .795 .895 .995

Comments below show that you can “fix” this issue by changing the avionics to 25 kHz tuning instead of 8.33 kHz. That is okay, however 8.33 kHz is supposed to give you more tunable frequencies, not the other way around.

(Note: There used to be a second part to this bug where if you did tune to one of those frequencies using the ATC menu, the COM radio would be un-tunable. I was in the SU10 beta before, and this was actually resolved with 1.27.11.0 (last line in “General Bug Fixes”).)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

In these videos, notice how 20, 45, 70, and 95 are all skipped:

GNS530:

G1000 (SU10 version, Marketplace version uninstalled):

A320neo (no FlyByWire installed):

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

I’m going to show the main issue I reported (first expected/observed pair, below), as well as the side effect it produces (second expected/observed pair, below).

1. Start Microsoft Flight Simulator.
  2. Go to the World Map and choose one of the planes I mentioned before (choose a small one like the Cessna 172 Classic because this is going to be a small airport).
  3. Start a flight.
  4. Before taking off, try to tune to 132.820. In the Cessna 172 Classic, you can use either the GNS430 or GNS530 and use the outer and inner knobs:
    COM/VLOC tuning knob

Expected result: You can tune to 132.820.
Observed result: You can tune to 132 MHz, but tuning to 820 kHz is impossible. You can tune to 815 or 825 but not 820.

Edit: Everything below this line was fixed in 1.27.11.0:

5. Take off. Once you have taken off, use the ATC window and click “TUNE ALBANY APPROACH ON 132.820”:
Tune Albany Approach

6. Once you have tuned to Albany Approach, click the COM flip-flop key:
Flip flop key in GNS430
to make 132.820 the standby frequency. It should look like this, where 132.820 is highlighted:

7. Use the same inner knob you used before:
COM/VLOC tuning knob
to try and change the .820 to either .815 or .825.

Expected result: You can change the frequency to anything you want.
Observed result: You can change the outer MHz frequency knob, but the inner kHz frequency knob will spin but the number will not change from 820 to anything else.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

11.26.5.0 (originally logged in the SU10 beta, however I discovered that it is also a problem in SU9)

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Shouldn’t be relevant, but:
2.60GHz i7-10750H
32 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2070
1 TB SSD (half full)
Windows 10 Home 20H2
OS Build 19044.1706

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

I didn’t try all the aircraft, but in the basic 172, I was able to tune the “missing” freqs by changing the channel spacing in the comm setup menu.

I’ll try the other aircraft as I have time.

If it was just a channel spacing issue it wouldn’t effect the ability to turn the knob if you use the ATC dialogue to automatically set it for you.

If you have the wrong channel spacing set, you will be able to tune over frequencies, and switching spacing will then allow those frequencies to be tuned. But it doesn’t break functionality as the OP describes.

2 Likes

Prior to SU10, did you have to have to change anything in the COM SETUP page in order to get this to work?

Also, were you able to do steps 5 through 8?

Hi @N316TS ,
I never checked all the aircraft, but most aircraft I used seemed to default to the comm spacing that wouldn’t let me change to the “missing” comm freqs. Can’t make an unconditional statement about that info.
I’m in the middle of a PCS, so won’t be testing very much (if at all) for a while. I’ll go back through my notes and see if I went through the rest of the steps you ID’d in your original post.
Regards

1 Like

Yes. This is a symptom of a problem that I had intended to report independently, but will leave with this report for now. I have tested with C152 and C172

The apparent underlying problem is that the COM frequency spacing is 6.25kHz and not 8.33 as it should be. It takes FOUR clicks of the COM frequency to move 25kHz and not three. This is true when using the UI (Bendix King COM/NAV and G1000) but also with the SimConnect API (COM_RADIO_FRACT_INC & COM_RADIO_FRACT_DEC).

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Some ATC services are on un-tunable frequencies.
At CYYZ, I sometimes am told that departure will be on 127.570. Radios with 25 KHz or 8.33 KHz spacing cannot tune to that frequency, but they can tune to 127.575, which would be close enough IRL for the tuner to pick up the carrier wave at 127.570. In the sim however, it doesn’t count as being tuned and you cannot communicate on the channel unless you force the radio exactly to 127.570 using the ATC menu. Also at CYYZ, one of the ATIS channels is on 120.820, and an approach is on 124.470, both manually un-tunable. I think the simplest fix would be to bump any frequency ending in .X20 and .X70 up by 5 KHz.
Frequencies ending in .X10, .X30, .X40, .X50, .X60, .X80, .X90, .X00 are already tunable with 8.33 spacing.

Spawn at a gate/parking spot with an IFR flight plan in CYYZ. Request IFR clearance and note the departure frequency supplied by the controller. CYYZ has multiple departure frequencies and im not sure what determines which one you get, but I was departing from runway 33L with a SID that turns around and goes south. If its 127.570, attempt to tune to it manually with the radio set on either 8.33 spacing or 25. Alternatively, try to tune to one of the the ATIS channels on 120.820.

PC is a little old but I don’t think it affects this issue…

Not sure but its been here for a long time.

Yes, can confirm same problem

Yes, I have tested this with the A320N (Asobo), A310 (IniBuild) and B747-8 (Asobo)

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

When using the C172 with G1000. On PDF I am unable to set certain frequencies as every fourth “detent” in the inner knob results in increase of 0.010 instead of 0.005. I am for example unable to set 124.870 because it jumps from 124.865 to 124.875

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qUZ_9PTz-c

Just start the game in C172 G1000, turn on the battery and avionics, and then use mouse scroll wheel (or click / or even my hardware using mobiflight). Go slowly one mouse wheel detent at a time on the inner knob on COM frequency on PDF. You will notice every fourth detent it skips by 0.010

I have setup using mobiflight, but It happens while using just mouse. Checked with other simmer, it happens on their machine as well (just using mouse)

I thought it was problem on my machine / hw setup but just recently noticed it happens with mouse as well and to other people as well so I believe it was there since beginning, as I noticed it a year ago.

Yes

I tried changing the frequency spacing to both options and resetting to original settings with no change in the problem.

So I think this is actually not a bug and reflects the correct operation of the radio system. 8.33 kHz spacing is a bit funny in that what the dial says is not always the exact frequency that is being used. See this page for more info. 8.33 kHz Communication Channels Aircraft Radio

In this case, the 124.865 is actually 124.8667 MHz and the next step up is 124.875 MHz, which are 8.33 kHz apart.

There is no such frequency as 124.870. If ATC asked you to tune “124.87”, they meant 124.875, because in areas where 25 kHz spacing is used, such as the United States, the third decimal place is usually omitted in speech.

2 Likes

While that is true, it should be noted that when ATC asks you for 124.87 or something, the sim doesn’t count 124.875 as being the correct frequency. I’ve had this happen very often with departure frequencies when flying IFR out of various airports in Canada and US. The only way to contact on the frequency is to select “Tune to departure on <whatever>” from the ATC menu to force your radio to be set to the exact frequency.

That has not been my experience, but if that is the case it sounds like an issue with the ATC system, not the G1000 or the C172. It would be nice if you could share some more specific information about which airports and frequencies this occurred at, if you remember. Or, if you could reproduce it yourself on video.

Yes, I think my experience is similar to @BubblyDruid56 .

I learned something new about frequencies :slight_smile: … so while it is correct that it increments like this, I had situations when in game ATC asked me to tune in a frequency that I was unable to do (as it was one of the numbers that is skipped). Only solution was to press the automatic Tune to …

2 Likes