CaptainSim 777 - Takes liveries down, steals them and reuploads them

Lol “craptain sim”

They do what all bad developers do when cornered, they double down.

The best example of this I can think of is the battle between Jim Sterling, and Digital Homicide.

Easy answer…complaining at CS’s site does nothing, and usually gets deleted.
Endless complaining is a GOOD thing if positive action comes of it.

Most of you don’t know the long history of this developer. If you did, you’d be complaining with us.
This guy has managed to stick around for ages through all the previous versions of flightsim and now is pushing his predatory tactics in the MSFS world.
I’m trying, if nothing else, to inform new simmers just how bad this guy is…I don’t have anything to complain about as I have not purchased anything from him since 2006. But I’ve seen how shady his marketing tactics are, how he abandons projects once the new shiny model releases, and how arrogant and rude he is on his own forums.
I do not want this guy to be preying on the new simmers here, plain and simple.

13 Likes

I’m not sure why everyone is so bent out of shape over this? I agree that Captain Sim’s actions are a bit “out there,” but they have the right to do what they’re doing. When you buy their product, you agree to their terms, regardless of how “backward” they may seem. It’s their product, their rules, and as bizarre as they may be, it’s how they’ve decided to do business. I have no doubt the consequences of their actions will probably forever tarnish their once excellent reputation. However, that’s not the subject of this issue. If you don’t like it, wait for PMDG. It’s as simple as that.

3 Likes

nothing easier to change the name and come back doing the same stuff over and over again. Think of these abad studio traitors in Spain, it’s basically the same while CS still had some okayish reputation for their FS9-P3D addons. Now he’s just collecting money and people can hardly do anything against it in the nameless internet. All we can do is make sure that everyone knows aboput Captainsim having turned into nothing better than a scammer and to look out and take care with what you give your money for in the future. Just because something is advertised as “Study level” and costs 99$ doesn’t mean it IS. Times have changed with MSFS to the better and to the worse. It’s up to us to be careful if we see new names and it’s up to THEM to do a good presentation that proves the quality before the first person falls for them. CS as a name MUST die to be sure nobody will trust in an old name anymore but he will most certainly come back with something new. MSFS is too easy money.

I wouldn’t even download this if it was free anywhere, legally or not. I’m not going to support predatory behavior by even wasting time with it.

2 Likes

Oops :wink:
Someone is attacking their website?

3 Likes

3 Likes

That’s Captain Sim trying to take copyright of your PC and its contents.

Luckily your browser caught it in time, else your PC would be theirs now! :wink:

2 Likes

It would seem that as well as collecting Livery’s, CS also has quite a collection of Domain names.

http://www.captainsim.com

http://www.captainsim.net

http://www.captainsim.org

http://www.captainsim.info

Ah, we have a flying Dutchman in the house :sweat_smile:

So just avoid going on CS website?

Its not quite that straightforward. At best they might be able to claim breach of contract against those livery creators but they’d need to establish financial loss which clearly doesn’t apply here. They certainly can’t claim copyright here as their template is not sufficiently original and there’s such a thing as fair use.

In any event, the reason this has upset so many of us is the implications this behaviour has on the freeware modding/community scene. If everybody acts like this then we’re left with a few people controlling who can create what. As with many games, it’s the modding community which greatly increases the enjoyment of the game and the community feel. CaptainSim has no right to claim ownership of other people’s work and tell them what they can/can’t do with it regardless of what they think their “rules” might say. Further, it violates the MSFS EULA.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I think this has been a long time coming with the freeware/modding community. Look at MMOs here lately. Most don’t allow mods anymore and the ones that do are very few. Also, there was a big stink a few years ago with World of Tanks and the right to stream content. The publisher tried to claim copyright and ended with a big controversy that left a lot of questions. The bottom line is, the owners of perpetual property still own the property. When you purchase the CS 777, you’re essentially purchasing a “license” or the right to use that property. They should be able to decide how you use their product as agreed to in their terms and agreement at time of purchase.

They cannot take over about user propriety due a license clause, they can’t claim propriety on users liveries.

I am hoping that there is someone in this vast Flight Sim Community, who is a lawyer, familiar with Copyright law (etc), who will step up and inform the community where thing really stand from a legal point of view, and what CS really can and cannot do.

My reaction to Captain Sim would be “See you in US Court – bring your check book”

5 Likes

All your base are belong to us!

6 Likes

Easy reply…Your not speaking for me when you say “Most of you don’t know the long history of this developer. If you did, you’d be complaining with us”. Most of us here weren’t born yesterday. What a cop out to say it doesn’t do any good to complain on the CS forums - the actual SOURCE of the issue. If everyone on here who’s complaining on this subject went to the CS forum and posted a complaint, they wouldn’t be able to keep up with hitting the ‘delete’ button. BTW, nothing good rarely, if ever, comes from endless complaining. The end result is usually a widespread negative attitude about the subject matter. Just look around here. I encourage everybody here to go to the CS site and crash their forum.

1 Like

https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl?num=1621789810
Well, it was going well until:
“For example:
I’m an user. I can’t use ACE because it doesn’t work with my pirated 777. I want the free liveries but can’t get them anymore. That makes me mad.

And don’t they realize that if someone pirates their plane they probably easily pirate the liveries too.

1 Like

If their EULA says they can, and you agree to it, then I would say they could do whatever they want to do as long as their EULA says they can.

CS won’t go after the livery makers; they’ll go after Flightsim.to for hosting them as I think they very well should. Freeware websites run the risk of these things happening, and they have the responsibility to protect the developer’s proprietary product.

1 Like