CaptainSim 777 - Takes liveries down, steals them and reuploads them

Thank you. That seems like a fair compromise.

Can you put a warning on review post, like: “warning! developer is not community friendly”?

1 Like

I think with that move they are trying to create more value behind the 30 bucks price tag. They suddenly “created” value by having more liveries. The desperate attempt to make a purchase more attractive.

2 Likes

ah that makes sense. Well if it’s legal what they are doing, and if they are able to make a lot of money by doing what they are doing, then more power to them lol

Boycott them.

8 Likes

I’ll admit, this is a new low for CS. If you go to Avsim or flightsim.com and search the file libraries there, you’ll see all sorts of repaints for CS products dating back to fs2000 at least. They have never said boo about that.

I think they are trying another cash grab in selling livery packs.

5 Likes

…selling livery packs with liveries they stole

13 Likes

I found an interesting point on reddit. Somebody quoted the Xbox / Microsoft rules. LINK

There is the point:

What if I create something new in your universe?
Distribution of your Item in any form constitutes a grant by you of a royalty-free, non-exclusive, irrevocable, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide, license to Microsoft and any of Microsoft’s partners or users to use, modify and distribute that Item (and derivatives of that Item), and use your name if we choose to, for any purpose and without obligation to pay you anything, obtain your approval, or give you credit. And this license to Microsoft survives any termination or expiration of these Rules. This means that if you add to the game universe or expand on the story told in the game with “lost chapters” or back story or anything like that, distribution of your story or idea may appear in a future game without any compensation to you. (Sorry, but our lawyers tell us we need to do this in order to avoid frivolous lawsuits getting in the way of making more great games.) It also means we can put your Item on a Microsoft site or property if we want to.

It’s basically saying that at the moment somebody is releasing an item the license goes to Microsoft.

Another point is:

You cannot enter into any agreement with someone else to exclusively distribute your Item even if they don’t pay you. We give you this license so that you can make cool Items and share them far and wide. Someone else holding your Item back from wide distribution means: (a) it’s not going far and wide; and (b) it is very likely that person is trying to use the Game Content to promote their commercial venture. That’s not what these Rules are about.

Basically, CS can’t lock items (the liveries) behind a paywall (their 777).

5 Likes

MS/Asobo should put a sticky at the top of these forums – this is outrageous.

5 Likes

It gets better folks. Just had a look at the descriptions of the liveries in their newly set up livery section.

They are even discrediting everyone else’s work like:

1. Fake 8K with errors and THREE times heavier! 2. Lost transparency of pax windows
  • Screen shot tells it all. 1. FSX 2K with errors. 2. Lost transparency of pax windows.

Aside from the business practice I wonder what people are there taking the right to steal the liveries (from users that may not be as proficient in doing it but are certainly passionate) and then discredit them for doing bad work.

Hypocrisy at its best as CS don’t take anything easy when confronted with anything that has to do with them.

3 Likes

Sigh…if any of you have read my long diatribes over at the other CS 777 post, you’ll see that I’ve been trying to inform the community just how deceitful and scandalous this developer is based on a very long history of shady business practices.
CS is without a doubt the worst at customer service and following through to complete previous projects once they release a new one.
This repaint debacle is a new low even for them…and what an introduction to this MSFS community they have made!
People…plain and simple. CS is a corrupt, deceitful, rude, and money-grabbing developer that has, and will continue to find ways to scam the flightsim community. Up until now, he has been scamming the customers of the previous versions of flghtsim.
Now that he has found a new source of unsuspecting simmers to scam, he will waste no time applying his same con game of popping out pretty, empty shells, and charging $30 for them…how long do you think it will take before we see a 777-300 shell? a 777F?, 737, 757, 767…all empty shells ported over from FSX, for $30 a pop?
Listen folks…do not support this dev. The only way we can stop him is to stop buying from him.
In a short few days he’s already convincingly proven he’s been so embolden with the crazy sales of his $30 empty shell 777 that he will continue if you people keep buying from him.

Maybe Asobo and/or MS need to step in an protect THEIR customers from this predatory developer who has no interest in being a valued contributor to the community. He is only here to cash in on the hype of his pretty empty shells…nothing else.

25 Likes

Completely agree! Microsoft and Asobo should do something to protect MSFS Community from developers like them.

6 Likes

It’s goddam absurd. First they stop freeware distribution of liveries that are not theirs, that CANNOT legally violate ToS as all authors have not signed it. Then they claim to be the next coming of livery gods and claim all these freeware liveries have faults, and this justifies them to download them all and post them ON THEIR OWN PLATFORM without permission and credit. THEN they find “faults” and list them. Absolutely disgraceful and despicable.
Here’s my “description” of them:

1. Shady rude company 2. Steals and republishes others’ work without permission 3. Tries to apply ToS to the general public
1 Like

Don’t think it will happen, but their partner agreement should be revoked.

5 Likes

What absolutely baffles me is not only have they stolen these liveries and threatened legal action, if you visit their site and look at the liveries for the 777 they have massively criticised ALL the liveries they STOLE.

“Fake 8k - Wrong DDS format 4 TIMES HEAVIER!!”

That’s like stealing someone’s car, posting it on AutoTrader for sale and in the description saying it is a complete piece of ■■■■.

I think the single guy left at Captain Sim is having a legitimate breakdown.

17 Likes

Good grief, whoever is making business decisions at Captain Sim is fit for a straight jacket. Absolutely unhinged.

2 Likes

Settle down all…just hang in there.

PMDG are working quietly and efficiently on their 777 for MSFS. It looks as though later this year or early next year release. (See the statement released by PMDG on their forum recently)

Well worth the wait.

PMDG’s version will be superior as it has demonstrated in other platforms.

And the livery problem with CS will be non-existent with PMDG.

5 Likes

No idea if the CS folks come here, but I’m found the initial thread on their forum about how this is all “good news”, and how livery owners can “get mentioned” if they fix their “low quality” liveries on the CS distribution site … insane.

Have a look, and I’d encourage some amount of pile on, as I have a feeling that these idiots don’t really look for any feedback outside of their echo chamber …

https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl?num=1621690095/0#11

3 Likes

I really hope they don’t make it onto the marketplace, because once the xbox release happens they will make a lot of money from uninformed people.

2 Likes

Unfortunately for Captain Sim, I have a policy which states that anyone who makes an addon for the 777-200ER MUST provide it for free of charge to the community. They clearly have not read my policy, but nevertheless they are beholden to it, they should know how this works given their own policies :smile:

6 Likes