Cerasim Mi17

I’ve got something even better. These are the parameters. Feel free to adjust them however Your unmentioned experience tells You :smiley:

[MAINROTOR] TailRotor = 0 Position = 0.8,0,9.45 max_disc_angle = 8;11.04 Radius = 39.5 RatedRpm = 272 static_pitch_angle = 8;4.8 static_bank_angle = 0.15 cyclic_pitch_centre = -0.45 cyclic_bank_centre = -0.9

In the meantime I will continue working with productive feedback that was not drawn in MS Paint.

Very sry,

I don’t have experience with MSFS modeling and depended parameters for flight model/physics. I recommend simply easy task as you have already somewhere in this Topic - contact Cera Sim with your joy to help them. If you’ll prepare another mod update here, I’ll be happy to test it without doubts. To all pls, it is only really benefit if you have real life experience or with any certificated real sim also. Without to feel some real configured controls as expected model has with certificated real sim model behaviour, it is waste of time to argue here what model is ok and what isn’t. Hope I’m lucky that I have that experience to compare something with this machine…

I appreciate feedback, but to act on it I need specifics, that’s key. Stuff like this:

Screenshot_20240319-183726-740

Hello,

I don’t know what exactly feedback you expect but here are my opinions to your points 4,5.

1. yes, agree without doubts. It can have some that tendency, without brakes on it can move in some conditions but what exactly can affect this, depends to more options (weight, load, position of load/material,…). In case brakes are on, machine simply lift up first main wheels and then some back pressure on cyclic is required to stabilize that regime but again, all depends to mentioned things. I can confirm that I have this feeling with Cera model and also with modes. This isn’t real life and real conditions where pilot need have experience with machine and calculated/prepared all things on board for flight.
  2. agree, more deg action can go to catastrophic spin like army helicopter is loosing its tail rotor. All is inside real manual and hard to say what brave pilot did the remedy from that spin inside tests. To revers that turn, agree that revers pedal action full action can be set only for a while, not so long time. Typical ‘brake’ revers pedal intervention on hammer-head turn at top. You can all try that to revers back with runway/display line. It is some kind of braking, you can feel that heli mass and weight to best stop turninig at top of that turn.

I need you to understand that without providing sources or credentials, which you didn’t do, your opinions carry as much weight for me as those of a random person on the street.

You should not expect me to change the mod based on just Your word, plain and simple.

Maybe you used a D-Level sim, maybe not. Maybe you did it once, maybe You’re an instructor in charge of it? I can’t tell. Maybe I ask a real pilot about Your simulator and he answers: Oh, that one? We don’t use it, it’s crap

I need more than Your word to adjust a modification that already gets some stuff right, I’m not gonna possibly break these parts because you said so

1 Like

Hi,

this isn’t about me, it is about your cooperation with Varg and with his Mi-8 real pilot. I have my opinion and feelings, that’s all. I’m not that one who will change your good work, it’s up to you and I recommend cooperate next with that personalities, if you want. You need discuss only my opinions to them and if that real pilot says that I’m wrong I’ll be satisfied with that because real pilot need to know what’s matter here. Don’t look at me definitelly, hope other users here can say also their opinions but as I said, real experience or real sim is benefit to say something here. Last word has Asobo and MSFS engine, who knows what exactly is available there, I can’t say, I can say only my feelings and opinions. Do some updates as you expect and all here will do tests, this is proper way.

We don’t use it, it’s crap

I forget to say one thing, to my opinion all time winner of real sims HWs is russian Dinamika Company and from US typical Frasca. I’ve never used them but wanted everytime :slight_smile:

I’m getting info it shouldn’t taxi with no fwd stick, so that would match what You said, I think.

I think I can adjust this without breaking anything in flight dynamics, and I wanted to make it need less back stick after liftoff anyway.

I’m sorry if my attitude seemed harsh. If you can’t provide your credentials because of anything, that’s okay. I will accept opinions, and all I ask in return is to not expect making changes without confirmed sources. Like that, we should all be good

Yes agree.

Hope that other users here will still post here their own reports about mod you did or exact version of original model. Many different users reports can also point to better characteristic preparation.

I was planning on waiting to see how the Flight Dynamics integrate with the update since we should be no more than a month away, but I may re-install the helo in the interim with this mod just to provide my own thoughts. While I have real-world rotorcraft time, it’s not in anything as large or as similar to an Mi-17 though, so any thought should be caveated heavily.

Regardless, than you Dino for your efforts thus far.

2 Likes

I hope I will be able to remove some systems workarounds after update - a lot of Cera systems work is broken at the moment but NOT stupid. It’s actually pretty ambitious, but wasn’t properly tested.

My “fixes” for things like governor or ECLs are mostly about making it more simple, more primitive - but working in a way that the user can see.

Definitely reinstall! At the risk of sounding immodest - with the mod I fly the Mi-17 for pleasure all the time, and have lots of fun with it. It actually replaced DCS in my leisure time, although probably also because it’s satisfying to look at your own work :laughing:

You’ll be happy to hear I’ve got confirmation of no fwd taxi at neutral cyclic, and implemented a fix.

By moving the center cyclic position and adjusting the front landing gear to compress a little less, we have now just slight left yaw with collective up to 3°, because nosewheel is fully castering.

It doesn’t roll without pushing cyclic. It still does rolling takeoffs very nicely, it requires similar amounts of back and right cyclic on liftoff to DCS - which is the best we can get so far. The pilot confirmed a bit of back and right stick is required, but we don’t heave measurements in cm or %. For now this will have to suffice

Cruise performance is not compromised in any way. Update should be on google drive this evening.

Also, fuel burn now more closely matches not just the top end, but also lower ranges of cruise fuel consumption table from POH

3 Likes

UPDATE
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cq37esLY19F8YNt-rdS8O2cKqIJaPPr5?usp=drive_link

• Fuel gauge fixed
  • Center stick position and nose wheel strut adjusted.
  • Helicopter no longer taxis forward at neutral cyclic
  • Fuel burn adjustments

UDPATE 23.03.2024
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cq37esLY19F8YNt-rdS8O2cKqIJaPPr5?usp=drive_link

• Main rotor RPM changes in startup and shutdown improved. Winds up and down faster.
  • Blade drag re-adjusted to return to performance similar to Hover OGE vs alt vs weight chart
  • Autorotion changes. Maintain 60-90 kts, main rotor collective ~3°, descend ~-2000 fpm

Do You want the mod to include performance charts and upscaled cockpit texture?

Upscaling does not in itself make it prettier - but it allows for pasting in additions such as perf charts in good resolution

10 Likes

From Cera as of 3 May:

Thank you for writing to us. We now have a release date for the update. We have been waiting for Asobo’s autopilot, but an internal source has ruled out its release in the coming months. Therefore, we have decided to launch the update on June 15th. The cockpit textures are ready, and we are currently working on flight dynamics and trim. Thank you for your patience; we continue to improve our product.

1 Like

So, Asobo will not be developing a native autopilot for helis? ■■■■ shame.

Apparently not. Cera is/was experimenting with some limited functionality custom coded options but they weren’t sure if they will include it. Depends on how good they can get it.

So far, this update will include texture and model revisions, avionics fixes, lighting fixes, and flight dynamics changes. It’s coming over a month later than originally expected but it should be good.

Cerasim might eventually code his own autopilot.
The bad news is for Cowan he released about 25 helis for MSFS without AP waiting for Asobo to do the job for them.

Hopefully MSFS 2024 will bring AP for helicopters. The Chinook should get a custom AP with the SU15 update, really looking forward to that. So it is possible, even without a super brain like HPG’s Davux :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, ■■■■■■■■. Thats a big F for Asobo. Big helis have no sense without autopilot. You can’t fly for 3 hours with your hand on the cyclic, more so in a machine where SAS is used by default like Mi-8/17 family. I hope Cera will include at least a basic ap in the next update and Asobo is really, really taking a ■■■■ here

1 Like

I wonder how they will tackle trim. I made some attempts to fix it but had to give up for now.

The code they tried to use initially relied on set rotor trim event. That’s a hopeless approach for now, set rotor trim returns only 0 or 1 - you can either reset cyclic trim to center or push it to max value in the given axis.

I tried to change it by making it send rotor trim inc/dec events until target value. That worked in priciple, but there were problems with the source for trim target value.

Using stick position is a mistake. Once your trim changes you’re maintaining trimmed attitude with 0 stick deflection. If stick deflection is the source for target trim value, whenever you force trim with stick centered it will not keep current trim. It will reset to zero. No go.

I tried using disk angle instead, because this is the result of control inputs, regardless if they’re caused by trim or stick deflection. Unfortunately at least in this case disk angle value is not stable. It rapidly oscillates around the average, correct value. This means it cannot be used as the source for target trim value. Force trim button will “catch” momentary disk angle value instead of correct average value, and the result is inaccurate

In the meantime, I took everything I learned and reapplied it on a clean slate. This build is probably the best yet, enjoy. Link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cq37esLY19F8YNt-rdS8O2cKqIJaPPr5?usp=sharing

1 Like