Cerasim Mi17

I actually asked basically your AP question as a follow-up email. Will look later today to see if they chose to respond to me. (I seem to get lucky with them but their responses are often one and done and then I have to wait).

I know in the case of MilTech that they too struggled/are struggling with a full AP implementation and chose to release as-is pending further work. I suggested to Cera that they do the same thing, in that they shouldn’t delay update release over autopilot work that could itself take many months to iron-out, noting that MS/Asobo officially does not support helo autpilots in MSFS at this time. (I cited to them the MilTech Chinook by name).

I am hoping we’ll see something by the end of April but I think that’s only likely if they drop the Autopilot focus, otherwise I’m guessing we won’t see anything until mid-Summer (July-ish).

I appreciate the updates they indicated they made thus far. I know we have end users here who may further refine the flight dynamics, so overall I think we could be in for the best (or within the top 3) helicopters once everything is said and done.

1 Like

Another update from Cera to add to my previous:

We want the update to be ready before May, and we’re working on it every day.
We’re currently working on the autopilot and trim. Of course, we’re also waiting to see if Asobo releases an autopilot for helicopters. However, once we’ve resolved over 90% of the issues, we’ll release the update regardless of the autopilot.

We know this update is highly anticipated, but we’ve decided to take the time to address most of the bugs. Our goal is to have a single comprehensive update rather than multiple smaller ones in a short period.

Regards,

Cera Sim Team

5 Likes

On second thought it’s probably the best for all of us that they focus on systems and effects :wink: I have NO idea about that stuff. If they fix the lights, the logic of starters, sounds, textures, and we add the FM fix on top of that, should a pretty complete package!

Trim - maybe they’re very close to making the force trim logic functional - this might be just some single, silly logic error that didn’t take much work, we just don’t see it yet?

Documentation is not ready yet, but I would like to share the mod publicly. Flightsim.to release when I get the docs done.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cq37esLY19F8YNt-rdS8O2cKqIJaPPr5?usp=sharing

ECL levers now can be rolled down to 50% without jeopardizing throttle operation. Power indications are correct for high idle and low idle. Feel free to test and report back anything you find.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

i tried installing the contents of the drive (all the folder) substituting all files in the main helicopter folder and now all the helicopter is invisible inside and outside. Do I have to install only some files of the package?

I have unzipped it into community folder without substituting anything - looks like its working fine. Thank you DinoPete11 for your work! :+1:

2 Likes

The link probably leads inside the folder you need to download. It’s configured as a mod to be put in community folder alongside cera mi-17. You need to find a way in your method of accessing google drive to download the entire folder in a compressed .zip, unpack it and put it in community

Merge/Overwrite is not recommended. It should work again if you either:

a) reinstall cerasim mi-17 and put the mod folder in the community folder, next to it. No merging/overwriting

Or

b) regenerate layout.json in the cerasim mi-17 folder using this utility: GitHub - HughesMDflyer4/MSFSLayoutGenerator: A drag-and-drop application for updating layout.json files in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) packages.

1 Like

ohhh I see, so I have to paste it alongside the original folder. Thank you

Maybe as Heikokuper6619 mentioned I just installed it uncorrectly. I’ll try to paste the folder without merging. Thank you for the answer! And, obviously, thank you for your work!

1 Like

just update your layout.xml with MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe

Hello,

ok, I did some tests with last modification here from Dino and to my personal opinion it is not ok, especially with real behaviour, generally. It feels now like a typical forward propeller aircraft in some situation, with power control action. I expect one important thing here, this kind of machine can’t simply move only with power/cyclic set of control, also only cyclic forward set put it to forward moving with pedals coordination. This I feel as very wrong and not realistic. It feels very smooth now but many real behaviours are not there. Dino’s previous cfg as update (first here in this Topic) is more better and has this expected realistic behaviour without problems, if I want put this machine to move on ground, I need do coordinated movement of 3 controls - pedals, cyclic and collective. This is my investigation here and feelings. I feel also that ground effect and other realistic things are also not there, it is clear when I move close to ground for approach as example, helicopter simply sits on ground without any problems. On other side, many thanks for your work Dino.

Considering you liked original flight model, I am not surprised you don’t like changes :wink: the 7z package published before your first post in the topic is not mine, and in my opinion changes very little from Cera’s original model.

This helicopter is in most cases normally operated through rolling takeoff from a runway, see flight tracking data.
The original situation where it CANNOT easily perform the following takeoff profiles is the one that is wrong:

The mod aligns with performance chart figures, including cruise fuel consumption, and allows for performing documented takeoff profiles. I’m sorry but I will not change that based solely on your subjective impressions. I’m happy to try to make it more accurate if you have solid data disproving current handling

“I don’t have real experience but some time at real sim MI171”

“it is not ok, especially with real behaviour, generally”

You have me confused here :sweat_smile: Did you or did you not fly a real helicopter or a certified simulator, and if yes, which one?

I have several change requests from @Varg9026 that I am working on, but he is in contact with real Mi-8 pilots and provides documents supporting his requests - So I know his information is solid and the only questions are can I make it happen and is it possible in the sim.

1 Like

Hello,

many thanks for your docs and other informations about cfg files.

Real behaviour…
Yes, this is hard to explain especially at my side, as I said, I don’t have real life experience but some time on real sim what has some certification. I know, many factors as weather, runway conditions and HW controls generally plays the role here. Again pls, what I want to say is that if I sit at runway, I can’t imagine that I can put this machine to forward move only with collective pitch set, no cyclic intervention (I don’t say with Trim use). We can speculate about maybe some wind condition but then it can be really hard to say what is really good and not cfg of behaviour. I don’t want to do some wrong reports here, we are still at simulation. Your cfg is for example easy with full Cyclic forward to not initiate any problematic situation with rotor RPM problems (as is with original cfg) with no collective pitch set. Ok, no problem, I’ll be very happy to share my experience and also expect yours if some real pilots can give some reports here. Again, thnx for your work here with cfg.

Why not? Many helicopters have the rotors at an angle to allow them to taxi on just collective input, it makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

The tendency to easily taxi forward, easily roll forward on runway, and naturally pitch nose down after takeoff is:

• present in DCS
  • documented in DCS manual based on service manuals in russian language and verified by SME real pilots. Manual mentions that both hover and rolling takeoff require back cyclic stick (nose up) to compensate
  • praised by competent testers as true to life and documents

It seems to originate from forward pitch of main rotor and the entire powerplant system:

Cera input true to life value of 4°30’ (4,5°), but this is not enough in MSFS. Asobo CFD model struggles with forward thrust component of helicopter main rotors. Realistic value does not produce realistic results. That’s why it was adjusted in the mod.

Hello,

ok lets take a look at this your description:
Manual mentions that both hover and rolling takeoff require back cyclic stick (nose up) to compensate.

Ok but you forget one important thing depended to this model, look at this my picture explained your engines and rotor build with relative body of helicopter. It is easy to understand why and what I’m talking about your not correct mod in this case (my opinion).

On other side, I’m quite good with Russian language and I’ve listened to Varg’s talk with that one russian Mi–8 heli pilot (more than 1 hour talk), nothing special there as I expected, also that pilot says that DCS with that favorite MI-8 mod has many errors :slight_smile: I don’t want to go to some fight here, I have some experience also and I present here my opinions, nothing else. Any one here can select any mod and fly for fun and joy, this is important.

Do you believe it is a correct situation that a helicopter that is supposed to perform forward takeoff as a standard maneuver rolls backwards unless held on brakes, and when You try to apply forward cyclic to roll forward it drops main rotor RPM?

1 Like

Explain on video and so I can see clearly your all controls positions :slight_smile:

I think all can benefit then from your description, if you mean this problem exactly on CeraSim model. I hope also Cera Sim then can see that, question is also generally if MSFS is ok with this :slight_smile: