Cessna 172 auto start shutdown

I have been using the C-172 Classic ever since the launch of MSFS. In the interest of time I always use “Auto Start” to get the engines and systems up and running. Never had a problem. I just switched over to the C-172 G1000 to start learning that system. When I press “Auto Start” the engine and systems fire up, but after about 15 seconds, I hear a voice message, that I cannot understand, and then the engine shuts down. I probably am not turning something on right after engine start or something like that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention that I have “Auto Start” bound to a joystick key.

I don’t normally do this type of startup, so I gave it a try (with the default keyboard combination (ctrl e) and it started fine. I watched the lower area to see what actions were happening. The mixture control was full in, the throttle was basically out all the way. I watched the master switches come on, the avionics switches come on, and it started fine.
Might check the mixture to make sure it hasn’t been pulled out.
I’ll check some more, but don’t see any particular issues with the autostart in the 172/G1000.
Regards
PS. I did another autostart after shutting down, and the system did push in the mixture control on it’s own, so that shouldn’t be an issue. The voice you heard may have been the TAWS startup notification.

Maybe check that you don’t have any of your physical controls mapped to a cockpit switch/lever that might prevent/reverse the start-up procedure.

Controls like the mixture lever, battery and/or the magnetos might be getting inadvertently moved into a position where you don’t want them to be.

By the way, there is a thread or two on here about switches on the Honeycomb controllers, that might give unwanted commands. Honeycomb Alpha Avionics Switch Bug - Bugs & Issues / Hardware - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums for example.

1 Like

O.K. Thanks for all of your help, but I found out what the problem was. I got to thinking that I went into the airplane originally and started exploring the switches. I then decided to start it up and go fly by using auto start. I probably left one or more of the switches in the wrong position which caused the shut down. I just reloaded the airplane (C-172 G1000) and used Auto start and it worked fine. It appears Auto Start works fine if you are in a cold and dark configuration, but it will not reset the switches if you have turned on and so it may shut down as in my case. Lesson learned.

1 Like

With the 172 classic (as well as some other planes), you need to set the throttle to about 20% or greater. You can either set throttle at about 20% prior to start or as soon as the engine catches, move it up to at least 1000 rpms