Cessna 172 Nav issues

Anyone else having issues with the Cessna 172 Garmin G1000? I cant even set the Nav frequencies for basic VOR navigation. It only lets me set COM frequencies. I even used the Garmin G1000 user manual.

Thanks

I tested both nav dials (PFD and MFD) on both nav1/nav2, and was able to change the frequencies without any issue.
This is on the stock/standard unmodded G1000.
Regards

I cant. It says NA to swap frequencies. Only com I can change frequencies.

Very frustrating to get this sim to function.

Thanks

1 Like

Are you using any add-on liveries, mods, etc that might be interfering with the plane? You might also try deleting that aircraft in content manager then shutting down MSFS. When you restart MSFS you can download that plane and see if it fixes the issue.
Regards

Have you tested with an empty or renamed community folder?

No not using addons, I am having nav radio issues with both 172’s and 152"s. Should Ibe using the 103 SOLO-Xbox Aviators Club?

I cant find the community folder.

Thanks

I have a bunch of Osobo addons/downloads. Is that normal?

Thanks

Yes, all the standard liveries that come with the program are usually fine. But sometimes any third-party (non-MS/Asobo) add-ons will cause problems. Sounds like that’s not an issue here. I’ll add some screenshots in a bit to see if we’re all talking the same thing, and hopefully we can resolve this issue.
Regards

This might be a silly question, but is the avionics master switch on? The G1000 only allows COM1 to be tuned when the avionics master switch is off.

1 Like

Never overlook the obvious! Good Catch/question @BubblyDruid56
Regards

Yes almost positive but will double check. I have also tried on assist easy,medium and realistic.

Thanks much.

Very good catch.

Can use only the basic VOR with the Cessna 172? I don’t get whats happening. Both NAV radios will not let me use any NAV frequencies via the tuning knobs.

Thanks

Also removed and reinstalled the aircraft … no change.

I’ve attached a screen shot just to make sure we’re talking the same things. This is the 172/G1000 (no mods) sitting on the runway, engine running/Master and Avionics button all “on”, and I’ve highlighted the double arrow which switches frequencies between the standby freq (on the left) and the active freq (on the right).
The freq dial is circled. Large dial for whole number changes, small dail for decimal point changes. I use the “legacy” mode, so I can either get the “turn arrow” cursor and click it, or use my mouse wheel to turn the dial (with the cursor on the dial), and change the standby frequency (from 108.00 to 117.95 which are the normal nav freqs).
I push the end of the nav dial to change from nav 1 to nav 2. I can change the nav 2 freqs the same way as the nav 1 freqs.
Once you got a valid nav freq set, don’t forget to change your CDI softkey at the bottom of the screen to either VOR1 or VOR2.
If this is what you’re doing, and still can’t get the frequencies to change, let me know and we’ll keep trying to figure out what’s happening.
Regards

My mistake the issues I was having is with the Skyhawk not the 172 G1000. I’m sorry about that. I dont really understand how to use the G1000. My days of flying where back in the 80’s non LCD Garmin Nav aides. Basically basic VOR follow the needle radials.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

I’ll take a look at the steam gauge 172 and see if there’s an issue I can identify.
Regards
Ok, here’s a screenshot of the steam gauge 172 and let’s make sure we’re on the same page.

To select the nav freq function, push the end of the “comm/VLOC” button (where it says “push c/v”). That should highlight the VLOC freqs (nav frequencies). Turn the large/small dials on the COM/VLOC button to change the nav standby freq, then push the button just to the left of where the nav freqs are displayed (the one with the “V” and an “up/down” arrow) to swap the freq from standby to active frequency.
You need to put the system in nav mode (vs GPS) by either pushing the NAV GPS button on the top left above the VOR head, or push the “CDI” button highlighted in red on the bottom of the display screen, next to the “push C/V” button.
Tune the OBS dial on the VOR head, to whatever “to or from” radial you want, and then make sure the “nav” button in the red box is pushed, and “NAV” should show up on the display, and you can push the AP button to go into autopilot in the VOR mode.
Keep an eye on that box, because there are actions you might take that will put the system back into “roll” mode, and you need to reactivate the “nav” function again.
I know that’s a lot of words, so let me know if you want to specify something in more detail. But doing that should definitely let you change your nav freqs.
All of this is with the stock/unmodded 172. If you have any mods installed, it might be somewhat different, but changing the freqs should be the same.
Regards

1 Like

It will not stick. No matter what I do it makes the NAV tuner NA and only lets me tune Com tuner only. So strange. Must be a bug.

Thanks much.

2 Likes