Cessna Caravan FLC not functioning properly AFTER SU8

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

. Autopilot FLC mode does not function properly. Altitude bug is set to desired altitude; I have manually trimmed for a speed in a stable climb; I engage the flight director first, then engage FLC mode, then engage the autopilot. If functioning properly, the autopilot should keep the speed and the throttle should control the climb rate. Instead, the autopilot levels me off and increases speed instead of climbing. The only autopilot-based workaround is to use VS mode. Is anyone else having this issue after SUP 8?

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

. I’m on PC with high/ultra settings and no performance issues (knock on wood).

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

See here, if this mod solve your problem

Thank you, but I am not using any add-ons or mods, in an effort to keep it running as smoothly as possible (for the time being at least).

Can you take a screenshot of the PFD when you are in this state? If you are throttling up, but you aren’t gaining altitude it sounds like you are in Altitude hold mode rather than FLC.

I’m just testing FLC now, and it appears to be working as expect. I used the AP to level off at 6900ft. I then set my altitude to 10,000ft, pressed FLC, then scrolled the wheel next to FLC to indicate a lower speed than I was currently at. The nose rises, and I begin to climb. Or throttle up as you were doing.

Maybe you aren’t adjusting the speed you wish to maintain? When you enabled it I think it sets whatever your current speed is so perhaps that is your issue.

I’m currently climbing at 120kts to FL100.

FL100 achieve, FLC has disabled, and ALT enabled. Speed begins to build:

Same issue here.

It appears you are not using standard MSFS Garmin. Probably the reason it is working.

The problem continues. I didn’t think to note this, but I am using all standard MSFS instruments - no add-ons to the instruments. Nothing in my community folder. No add-on scenery, planes, liveries, etc. It is all stock. Here is a video of the problem (instead of a screenshot). It starts with no autopilot engaged and trimmed for a constant speed. I set a desired altitude then engage FLC mode and you can see the problem occurring. After I attempt to climb using FLC (doesn’t work), I tried to descend using FLC - it seems to be ALMOST functioning as expected: MSFS 2020 Problem with Cessna Caravan FLC mode - YouTube

I have the NXi installed.

Perfect video @tjgilbert1 that is exactly the issue. Have installed NXi to “work around” the issue since it works fine but this is definitely an issue.

And you can see that it’s not working properly for the descent either - although FLC mode does cause a descent, it holds the speed at 8-9 knots over the set FLC mode speed that it’s supposed to hold for the descent.

Same issue here.

NXi would not solve this issue.

NXi has nothing to do with the individual aircraft AP. WT has repeatedly stated this. There is a similar problem on the AP for the VL-3 and the King Air. Something in the AP code got impacted between SU7 and 8.

As for folks who are using standard Garmin, it’s obsolete and you are missing all the features that will eventually become standard in the sim as NXi is already intended to officially replace stock FMS.

1 Like

The NXi does solve the issue for me in SU8, which is why I’m unable to test if it’s really fixed in SU9 beta without uninstalling the NXi. SU9 beta should also solve the issue. Please confirm or deny that here:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/36-fixed-problem-with-flch-and-planes-that-are-using-the-new-propeller-system-king-air-fixed/508727

You can check with the WT team on Discord. Hear it directly from them. The PIDs are tied to the AP on each plane. They’ve done a deeper dive on system isolation and integration than most, and have access to the underlying code as a first party, more than any commercial or independent mod maker.

Is FLC on King Air in SU9 Beta working, without the WT G3X Mod? If so, that should say volumes.

I could, but I don’t really care. All I know is that FLC didn’t work properly on the Caravan until after I installed the NXi. Others have reported the same thing.

Yes the FLC on King Air is working without the WT G3X, otherwise I wouldn’t have reported it fixed.

Then the King Air working now is one data point towards the proof that the AP code is indeed independent of the installed FMS. Something to think about.

If you don’t want to talk to the team, that’s your preference. But discussion with the folks who you think are the root cause is a way forward. They are very open to questions and inquiries, which honestly is rare in this increasingly speed-driven transactional world we’ve built.

Also something to think about is that many people’s FLC started working in the Caravan after I told them installing the WT NXi fixed it.

Respectfully, I offered suggestions to move forward. I’m going to cease participating in this thread now. That’s about the most I can do as another end user of the sim. Have a good weekend.

Respectfully, you also offered incorrect and misleading information. I asked for you to verify my findings, not criticize them. Have a good weekend.

1 Like

Fixed by the implementation of the G1000NXI in SUX