Change heli tail rotor default to an axis

I saw this in the helicopter section of the Sim Update 12 beta release notes at https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-update-12-beta-release-notes-1-31-18-0/575707

“Fixed Tail rotor increment for better controllability with gamepad Helicopter profile (without tail rotor assistance)”

I think this is the incorrect assignment in the first place. The sim’s default profile assumes an Xbox style controller with analog triggers for rudder and tail rotor control. With fixed wing aircraft, this works as expected because those triggers are assigned to the rudder axis. Pressing the left or right trigger yaws/steers the plane left or right respectively, then auto-centers when you release the triggers (essentially returning the rudder pedals to neutral).

For helicopters, the default controller profile sets those triggers to tail rotor increment and decrement, which treats the triggers like a button. When you release the trigger, the tail rotor does not auto-center (so to speak) and maintains the input. To come back to neutral and stop the yaw, you have to use the opposite trigger so reduce the thrust of the tail rotor. Because there is no convenient way to see when the tail rotor pedals are centered while flying nor to ensure you don’t overshoot the input, this leads to a lot of the control issues people have complained about.

My suggestion is to default the helicopter profile to using the rudder axis on the left and right triggers instead of the incremental changes. This allows for finer control and auto-centering like what you get with fixed wing aircraft and feels more intuitive. It wasn’t the silver bullet for all my control issues, but it was a big step in the right direction. I can’t see any reason to set an analog trigger to an incremental input option like this.