Checking Ground or Terrain Spikes

Ground anomaly several hundred feet high in the USA/ Midwes region, west of Chicago. Load airport 1c5 and you will see it immediately east of it.

La crosse airport in Wisconsin has a very bad texture spike

1 Like

Noticed this “blob” on the right hand side at Akureyri (BIAR) airport

1 Like

I noticed a lot of spikes at Salzburg airport
(But that was already in SU5)

1 Like

I notice spikes around LOWI as well. (Without Germany Update via Content Manager Installed)

Why was this moved to an old thread when this is new to todays update??? No wonder the devs have a hard time fixing new issues.

2 Likes

Huge Spikes around Bern in Switzerland, no mods loaded.

1 Like

Have you tried clearing your terrain caching, or turn caching off?

I can offer some spikes in the western part of the Bodensee lake (southern Germany). Those are “permanent” (so not LOD specific … like some other elevation anomalies)

Yes, clean the decor cache but not deactivate it…

2 Likes

Since WU6 I notice a strange bug: When approaching from the south, about 16nm from the city of Berne, some huge spikes appear. While approaching further, at about 8nm from the city, they disappear again.

This only happens when approaching from another airport from the south. I never saw this when approaching from other directions, or when I started the flight at LSZB.

Similar spikes can also be seen in the region of Lucerne.

I did not find any other mentions of this issue, so I am not sure if it’s a general problem, or if something is wrong with my configuration. Any ideas?

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
It happens when Community folder is empty

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Spawn in over Spiez and fly direction LZSB. The spikes appear before Thun and disappear again some miles later¨

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
After WU 6

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
No

Interesting that your direction of travel/approach is also a factor. - while terrain spikes are not new I don’t think I’ve associated a direction of approach with them before. (I may be wrong)

Right, this is new.

What is interesting: These spikes appear more or less at the position of two new POIs which are part of optional world update content, POIs Germany: The Bundeshaus and the Wankdorf-Stadion.

But the spikes still appear if the POI package is uninstalled.

FYI - these spikes have been fixed recently by a UK mod on flightsim.to. Search for " EGYR Ballone Castle Airstrip Scotland Upgrade & Local “land spikes” scenery fixed!"

Thanks amb7364.

I have spikes and weird graphics too. I use the SOFLY landing challenges and one challenge in New Zealand does not work as the aircraft instantly cashes into the terrain, this is with ORBX mesh for NZ on. When I switch this mesh off, the challenge starts but I cant land on the airfiled because the airfield sits in a hole! The aera is Milford Sound Airport.

Took a flight from LFHM tonight and there are terrain spikes ALL OVER these valleys. Where water is, very frequently they are spiked up to insane levels. I remember flying around this area at launch and I don’t recall them being there, but they’re here now and there are, at least for me, not even close to a shortage of them in this general area.

Actually seems to be the result of a terrain fix mod that I had left installed. I’d delete this post otherwise, but I want to warn anyone, if you still have:
mappamundi-glitchfix
Remove it, and see if your spikes remain.

I’ve flown that route many times, and I’ve not seen those terrain spikes before. I’ll recheck later.

I’ve also observed spikes appearing on areas of modified terrain (Orbx Auckland Landmark Pack), only when approaching from one direction (the west in this case).

Terrain Level Of Detail has some impact on how these spikes present.