City Update 1 (CU1) is unoptimized compared to other photogrammetry regions

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Relevant ones for the region were removed but Aerosoft EDDK

Brief description of the issue:

Since CU1 was release it feels way more resource hungry to fly in Northrhine Westphalia than in other parts of the world featuring photogrammetry. Compared to really dense and large cities like NYC or LA the framerates are really limited. On top comparing the quality of PG directly Cologne looks like it’s missing some levels of detail. The highest quality LOD also appears really late even on TLOD 250+

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Enlarge screenshots to see the quality differences :wink:

Cologne with just EDDK from Aerosoft:

Los Angeles, basically vanilla:

NYC with addons installed (keep in mind this are features way more buildings than Cologne):

Screenshots taken with TLOD = 200, all Ultra, OLOD = 170, frames limited by 50%, live traffic and multiplayer = on, clear sky preset used.

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Around EDDK

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

• Load a flight in NYC, fly at 1000ft and take a look at the PG quality and overall performance
  • Load a flight in Cologne, fly at 1000ft and compare the PG quality and overall performance

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

DxDiag.txt (140.5 KB)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Basically after CU1 release up to now (1.29.22.0)

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I have the exact same issue in this area.
Even unistalled aerosoft EDDK and it is still the same.

For now, it is almost unflyable to approach EDDK with city update 1 and the photogrammetry in the Fenix (stutters on approach 14L, 32R). Frames drop from like 30 to as low as 8. It does not come from the scenery (uninstalled it and tested without it). This does not happen over New York, London or other areas with dense photogrammetry.

RTX3070.

Without airport scenery I have very bad performance with this photogrammetry scnerey. unflyable in VR because of the stutters and bad fps. compared to other big photogrammetry (f.e. Tokyo) there must be a bug in this city update. Turning off CU1 everything is fine, so only hpotogrammetry makes this issue, unfortunately at no other region - only CU1. Maybe there are far to many data which are not visible but the cpu/gpu have to handle. would be nice if this was fixed some day … please

1 Like

The issue is also related to this topic: EDDK (Köln-Bonn): Photogrammetry leaking into airport scenery (default)

I do not have the Aerosoft scenery, and when I approached - and actually managed to land - at EDDK for the first time this evening, my fps tanked down to 1 to 3 at times, making the sim a slide show. Really great on VATSIM. The whole airport then was cluttered with photogrammetry scenery and aircraft, looking awful close-up and blocking a lot of stands.

I could resolve this by deleting the ‘City Update 1 - Germany’ AND deleting and reconfiguring my Rolling Cache, but that can’t be the final solution…

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

unflyable in VR due to these performance lag - newer CU2 did not have this problem

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Unfortunately no movement or change on this one. Feels a bit like City-Update 1 was a field test do deliver photogrammetry and then left unoptimized.
With a powerful system in 2D no problem as frames keep above 30, but in VR it is still unflyable - even without other addons.
Maybe the LOD of the server-based photogrammetry is far to high, as lowering any setting on my local system has no effect on this bad performance.
Sad, that no more votes come in here :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like